Everlast 255EXT w/W300 cooler
    Miller 212 Autoset
    Miller Xtreme 375
    Bridgeport Mill
    South Bend 9" Lathe

Re: You're all gonna hate me

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Suckage of epic proportions!
    There will be no official award until it's in his possession and pictures are posted.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    There will be no official award until it's in his possession and pictures are posted.
    You guys should see pics by this time next week. He's gotta get it dug out of it's corner and I have to get a chance to go pick it up. Trust me... its in the works. Unfortunately the Trailblazers may not be happy with the new littermate. The sad part is, I only have one truck left that could even carry it. But it's probably just going to be a toy. There are reasons the TBs replaced my SAs.

The suckage is strong with this one.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

why did tbs replace sa's?

i know why i work with one, and it is only the 120v ac power for everybody else's battery chargers lol. the 240 saved me once or twice.

why do you prefer them?
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
    why did tbs replace sa's?

i know why i work with one, and it is only the 120v ac power for everybody else's battery chargers lol. the 240 saved me once or twice.

why do you prefer them?
    Pretty much for the AC power output. Plasma cutter, Medium size air compressor, Plug in an XMT and let 2 guys weld on one machine, Run the 230V hydraulic power unit for jacking heavy equipment, etc. And Half the weight and almost half the footprint on the truck. I love the arc an SA200 provides, but have a whole nother need for power. Oh, the cv output is great for running wire (dual shield and innershield) on the jobsite.

Both of these welders have their strengths and weaknesses. The name of the game is to use the right welder for the right job. For instance my SA 250 With the CV adapter will put out 250 amps and 40 volts. Let me tell you these older Lincoln's can run some serious wire feed. And if you really want to get down and dirty bring the SAE 400 out on the job and burn some 3/8 Carbon ark. and some quarter inch welding rod. Bada boom!

I mean free is ok I guess. But it's still like 50 years old. And probably has bad gas in the tank and a dead battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Sorry, haven't owned a Mack since the A-53 went down the road. Should have kept her for a toy. I'm thinking this machine (toy) should go on a mid 60s one ton built up as a retro pipeliners rig.
    I did look at a Mack 2 weeks ago to build a water truck. Early 80s RL700 mixer truck, 20k front, 60k rear and a nose mount Sundstrand that should pump like crazy connected to a 4" MP hydraulic drive self primer.
    I
    I've got the perfect truck, a 56 Power Wagon, (see avatar). No, it's not for sale, but I'll give your Lincoln a good home.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I
    I've got the perfect truck, a 56 Power Wagon, (see avatar). No, it's not for sale, but I'll give your Lincoln a good home.
    Willie, I love that truck. In the late 70s I worked for an outfit that had a couple of similar milsurp trucks that were used for welding rigs, They weren't fast but they would go anywhere.

Hey 12V-71, today I loaded up my truck for the first time since I've had it. It actually holds just shy of 3200 gallons. Boy will that thing move some water! All six sprayer nozzles work well and are fairly even in output but one will not shut off completely. I'm wondering if this spray head can be taken apart easily without caging the spring? It is a Bertolini Valves brand out of CA and it works fine, just won't shut completely off and streams water. http://www.bertolinivalves.com/ The truck still has about 2000 gallons in the tank and I can't remove the sprayer without dumping the tank so was at a standstill today. It didn't leak until I actuated it the first time and I suspect the tank had something in it that is now lodged in the seat and will not flush out.

Also blew a split in the sidewall of a 3" pressure hose on the discharge of the pump. Looking on line I see both EPDM, and PVC in 20' lengths ready made. Which do you typically use? The truck really doesn't see too much sunlight as resides in my building mostly but I'm going to start using it prior to conversion.

What really surprised me is the power this engine makes. 3000 gallons of water weighs what, 24,900 pounds (thereabouts)? The truck still readily starts off and accelerates with little difference from being empty. In fact it has better acceleration than deceleration via the brakes! Don't know if you've ever operated a "Mack" air shifted transmission but they are a nice unit. I can run the pump at full rpm with the main in low at about 5mph and lay down a gulley washer, or operate in third and give everything a light mist for dust control. Tomorrow I break out the fire hoses to see what they'll do......
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Hey 12V-71, today I loaded up my truck for the first time since I've had it. It actually holds just shy of 3200 gallons. Boy will that thing move some water! All six sprayer nozzles work well and are fairly even in output but one will not shut off completely. I'm wondering if this spray head can be taken apart easily without caging the spring? It is a Bertolini Valves brand out of CA and it works fine, just won't shut completely off and streams water. http://www.bertolinivalves.com/ The truck still has about 2000 gallons in the tank and I can't remove the sprayer without dumping the tank so was at a standstill today. It didn't leak until I actuated it the first time and I suspect the tank had something in it that is now lodged in the seat and will not flush out.

Also blew a split in the sidewall of a 3" pressure hose on the discharge of the pump. Looking on line I see both EPDM, and PVC in 20' lengths ready made. Which do you typically use? The truck really doesn't see too much sunlight as resides in my building mostly but I'm going to start using it prior to conversion.

What really surprised me is the power this engine makes. 3000 gallons of water weighs what, 24,900 pounds (thereabouts)? The truck still readily starts off and accelerates with little difference from being empty. In fact it has better acceleration than deceleration via the brakes! Don't know if you've ever operated a "Mack" air shifted transmission but they are a nice unit. I can run the pump at full rpm with the main in low at about 5mph and lay down a gulley washer, or operate in third and give everything a light mist for dust control. Tomorrow I break out the fire hoses to see what they'll do......
    That Bertollini valve should have a "rubber ball" on a stem to open it when you supply air to it. No big huge spring in there that I know of. The ball probably has cracked from age and leaks through the crack. Take it off and look though the inlet and you will see it. Should be a simple matter to replace the ball.

That Bertollini valve should have a "rubber ball" on a stem to open it when you supply air to it. No big huge spring in there that I know of. The ball probably has cracked from age and leaks through the crack. Take it off and look though the inlet and you will see it. Should be a simple matter to replace the ball.
    Thanks. It looks simple enough but the same type clamp that holds air brake chambers together hold this thing and there is a spring shown in the link. I can't do anything with it till the tank is empty and will take it apart then. I didn't really see it as a big job but don't want to break something and be down for parts for an extended period of time.

Any ideas on the hose?

Thanks,
    Slob

Back to the Redface... Got a chance to stop by and see it today, for the first time in many years. Serial number is 45,6xx meaning 1962. Wow, a year older than me. Storage hasn't been kind to it (Green Commutators) and I've already racked up 1200 In replacement sheetmetal just shopping around. But the faceplate is still in very good but slightly faded condition. No pics yet, sorry. Got family things this weekend, but she's coming home the week after.

What little hose I use is the clear Vinyl hose with the spiral plastic reinforcement, I get it from the local Cenex dealer. But you have to heat it in boiling water to slip it onto a king nipple. I have used a torch... Be careful.

What little hose I use is the clear Vinyl hose with the spiral plastic reinforcement, I get it from the local Cenex dealer. But you have to heat it in boiling water to slip it onto a king nipple. I have used a torch... Be careful.
    I've done the same but twin 500 halogen work lamps on a common stand work well for hose, plastic conduits, etc as the softening is very controlled and deep. Also my short wave infrared paint drying lamp works well but not everyone has access to one of those......

Thanks,
    Slob