Scrap metal art or projects - Page 45
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 1,101 to 1,123 of 1123

Re: Scrap metal art or projects

A work in progress. These rings are left overs from a laser cutting place since the inner circle is not quite centered.

I am trying to decide on a finish. Leave bare but slightly polished or should it be painted? If painted, what color?

Suggestions are always appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 03-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Where's the dog? Good looking rings.

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    Where's the dog? Good looking rings.
    Thanks. My buddy hurt his back this morning jumping and twisting as we were playing so he is taking a break for a bit.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

I wonder what kind of pattern you would get with a single LED spot pointed up in the middle?

That's a great idea. I will have to try a few things like that for some night photos.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Yeah, go with a white or very light color and then you can 'color' them with leds... they have those color changing(any color) led bulbs with a remote https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wifi-Smart-...WYmbISnOWGQ_4w could come up with some cool combos

I like that Pat . That could be a new and improved '' POLISH '' cornhole game . Anyone can toss at those laying on the ground ones. You gotta try it and see what happens.

Set one up at your shows with a bunch of bags in a bucket so the kids can play. I'll even waive my consultation fees.

A bigger version of the ring sculpture is complete. The small one is about 4.5 feet tall. The larger one is a bit over 6 feet tall.

And just for arcflash, my dog joined in. He got tired of posing and laid down.

Last edited by psacustomcreations; 03-09-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Re-arrange pics
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Nice!!!!

Now we need to see a helix made from those rings

Thanks. I only have a few more of each size available so I will have to play with them to see what looks good.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    And just for arcflash, my dog joined in. He got tired of posing and laid down.
    Nice work and your buddy looks bored. Sorry, but I can't help but think of him saying "But Dad... this is my yard... why can't I pee on them???"

Dave
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Dave's Telescopes Page

Thanks Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I like that Pat . That could be a new and improved '' POLISH '' cornhole game . Anyone can toss at those laying on the ground ones. You gotta try it and see what happens.

Set one up at your shows with a bunch of bags in a bucket so the kids can play. I'll even waive my consultation fees.
    Bob, that's a good idea for a new game. Then again, if it was a real Polish game you would have the bean bag on the ground and throw the board or ring at it. Since my Great Grandparents were Polish I guess I can be the first to try it.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

A new sculpture using triangle shaped scraps.
    If any new members have not seen this, you should use the BD1 ground clamp extension. This is great for ensuring you have a good ground on small pieces and avoiding arc strikes on a nice piece of material.
    BD1 is also to blame for me having so many of the Ridgid Boomerangle magnetic clamps. They came in handy on this project.
    What my buddy looked like at the end of the project versus now as we walk in the forest.

Last edited by psacustomcreations; 03-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

I like the way the triangles float in the air. So does the dog, it looks like its smiling.

Thanks. That is the look on him I was going for the other day with the rings but he wasn't co-operating.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

psa', my remarks are about the circles in an X braced column.

I think the intersections of the triangles are what I'd want to see in the circular plates? In the triangular column or 'pile'- they intersect at different angles and on edges, and there's some variability. That makes the triangles much more interesting to view over the circles.

The circles are in some 'fixed pattern' or symmetrical X braced stack!!! (?) If the circles were randomly intersected like the triangles- the pieces would be much more interesting than shown.

Also since the circular forms were - "open" - they offered opportunity to nest at the angles shown in the triangles- not to mention the slight edge insertions and other ideas more fully developed in the triangular forms.

Found object art involves BOTH arrangement AND orientation. I thought the circular elements' form wasn't as well explored as the triangular forms' final composition.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Morin View Post
    psa', my remarks are about the circles in an X braced column.

I think the intersections of the triangles are what I'd want to see in the circular plates? In the triangular column or 'pile'- they intersect at different angles and on edges, and there's some variability. That makes the triangles much more interesting to view over the circles.

The circles are in some 'fixed pattern' or symmetrical X braced stack!!! (?) If the circles were randomly intersected like the triangles- the pieces would be much more interesting than shown.

Also since the circular forms were - "open" - they offered opportunity to nest at the angles shown in the triangles- not to mention the slight edge insertions and other ideas more fully developed in the triangular forms.

Found object art involves BOTH arrangement AND orientation. I thought the circular elements' form wasn't as well explored as the triangular forms' final composition.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK
    Thanks Kevin.

I started playing with these rings probably 3 weeks ago. When I was working on the first, smaller set of rings I had started to arrange them in random patterns as you suggest. I had even cut notches in a couple for overlapping joints and then was debating slicing a few in half so they would completely intersect. For some reason I just wasn't feeling it as I was periodically working on it so I set it aside. The idea of the "X" pattern came to me as I was doodling in a meeting. I still have 4 of the larger rings and 5 of smaller rings available that so I can re-visit them and see how they looked randomly arranged.

Here is an example of some more bell hanger designs I came up during another 2 hour meeting. When I am stuck listening to mindless chatter for that long, my mind wanders.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

If any new members have not seen this, you should use the BD1 ground clamp extension .

BD1 is also to blame for me having so many of the Ridgid Boomerangle magnetic clamps.

Thanks Pat ! That small ground clamp is really handy for my art stuff. It definitely makes a difference.

As for those Boomer angle clamps, they too are handy for what we paid for them . To make you feel even better they are bak up to $149.99 EACH !!!!! Yep, you and me plus many members here bought wisely .

I had to take a break from scrap metal projects and work on a menorah topper.
    This is to protect the top of the acrylic piece from flames and wax.
    The body of the top and bottom dies were made from 1.5" mild steel square stock. The teeth of the die were made from pieces of 304 stainless steel stacked up. I went that route since that is all I had on hand. The material used for the topper is 18 gauge cold rolled. Once I get them powder coated white and receive approval for these two samples pieces, the customer wants 50 more.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

That's pretty clever Pat

Here's one I'd like to try some day.

Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Tony,
    There is no way i could do that project that fast. That project would take me a couple of days.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Tony,
    There is no way i could do that project that fast. That project would take me a couple of days.
    Yeah you'd have to be pretty dedicated I was thinking more like a couple of weeks for me LOL.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.