Scrap Bin Projects
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Scrap Bin Projects

We were cleaning up the shop and I was going through the scrap pile, I came up with a few things to do with the cut off ends and short pieces of metal.

Cord hooks. It always seems like extension cords are always laying on the floor getting in the way. Used some flat bar and some 1/2 " rod .

Welders helper ( I think that what it's called). This is a real handy item when you're trying to position small parts for welding. I got this idea from another thread. 1" bar and 3/8" rebar.

Mig gun holder. Yeah, I could have bought the one from Harbor Freight for $9, but what fun is that? Various pieces of angle iron and a 1/2" nut and bolt.

Last edited by CamW; 05-13-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Re: Scrap Bin Projects

Mig nozzle cleaner. I don't claim to have made this item, but it's been in the shop as long as I can remember. It's one of the simplest and handiest items for cleaning the nozzle.1/2" rebar with the end cut at 45*, then bent 90* in the middle.

.22 rim fire target. I built a rough version of this for a friend last year, it worked pretty well, but we wanted it to be more challenging. We were shooting at this from 50-75 yards from a prone position with scoped precision .22 rifles.It breaks down for easy storage.The target sizes are : 1" and 3/4" square, 5/8", 1/2" and 3/8" round. Solid square and round bar, flat bar, rebar and tubing.

Not too bad for free metal and some time invested ( and some spray paint).
    Last edited by CamW; 05-13-2011 at 02:52 AM.

nice stuff.im a great believer in the scrap pile.

Some of the best projects start as a need and get funded by the scrap pile. I never throw any metal away, no matter how small it seems. Every once in a while I need that little pice for a catch or a latch and I have it without cuttin into new stock. Nothing is worse than cutting 2 inches off of a 20 foot joint of tube and needing a full joint on your next project to finish it up. Been there, done that too many times. Plus the scrap bin is a great place to get practice coupons for trying different weld profiles before wasting the project stuff learning what will or will not work.
    Bob
    I'm spending my Kids inheritance, I dont like him that much anyway!!!!!!
    Enuff tools to do the job, enough sense to use em.
    Anybody got a spare set of kidneys? Trade?

Hell yes. Finite resources means good scrap pile usage is necessary. I hate seeing recyclable materials wasted, like when the usn used the uss hepburn for target practice. comissioned in 1969, she was the fastest frigate on the west coast. Still a very viable weapon. From the main deck up she was all 1/2 " aluminum and I think 1" steel plate below. She now resides in 4000 feet of water somewhere off San clemente. Too deep for even an artificial reef. Friggin waste. That happened in 2004. Sound policy leads to sound government. They should change their tune. IMHO
    But I digress, Dig the scrap usage.
    MLM

Quote Originally Posted by CamW View Post
    Mig gun holder. Yeah, I could have bought the one from Harbor Freight for $9, but what fun is that? Various pieces of angle iron and a 1/2" nut and bolt.

Nice projects! I like your MIG gun holder!
    I keep my scrap divided into shapes and solid or tube, in 5 gal. buckets under the chop saw table. Always using the bits for jigs and fixtures.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Now I like that mig gun holder...... I'm constantly laying my gun down or hanging the cord over something and the trigger gets mashed shooting out wire..... bet I've used a 2lb spool in just short pieces shot out doing that..... Going to build me one of those first thing in the morning .... THANKS !!!!!!!!

Nice, you have a practical imagination.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

I had to limit myself to saving scraps no smaller then 2x2" and I still have 5 buckets full of scrap.

Love seeing scrap get used. Awesome.
    We are on our way to being farmers! Our site is always under construction so check back often for updates.

http://www.philosophyfarmstyle.com/

My scrap pile is not nearly as big as many here, so I have to buy pieces from other peoples' bins, usually via craigslist. I got a great deal on a bunch 6' long 1/2" square bars, and these 12x36" shelves in what appears to be authentic Jack-Olsen-green

Also, I don't have the attention span necessary to sit and practice on scrap bits all day, I need to be building *something*. This was great practice, as I had to weld the shelves together in pairs (underneath), then add bars on all four sides, and then weld the shelves to the uprights. It's 100% tigged, with a wide variety of tungstens and fillers, since I was learning as I went. I had only done one or two tee joints before this, so the difference in the welds from start to finish is dramatic.

While working on the 4th shelf, I got tired of moving the piece around on my table, and decided to try switching hands. I was amazed to find that I was just as good ( or just as bad ) left-handed as right-handed. That made the rest of the project go a lot faster, as I switched hands constantly.

I painted over that green... btw. No sense of style here, apparently.

And I still have enough left over to build 3 more of the same size. Not sure I have room or time, though.
    __
    David Hillman

There is no scrap at my work... I try to keep almost anything useable.

We actually send alot of plate to the scrap but I will not send anything thats big enough to make something from.

we actually have piles of tubing from building bumpers and grille guards. more of that gets in the scrap bin than id like...

Pretty much any fixture I make at work is made with scrap pieces

I admire a lot of the things you guys posted in this thread. By contrast, my little project doesn't show great finesse in the finishing department. But it is a useful thing I made from scrap steel. I made a sprinkler base for our homestead veggie garden - one that proved to have an adequate footprint and also enough weight (by virtue of its materials) to be stable when topped by an "impulse sprinkler" head.

I had some square tubing off cuts. I wound up using two that had a 2-inch cross section, and two that were just 11/2 inch. Also, I had a scrap of quarter-inch by 2-inch strap steel.

I cut tubing pieces to 13 inches. My design was to weld (flux-core) them together in such a way that the ends are left open. My idea was that if, after testing it in action, I needed to add more weight I could stuff the tubes with mason's mortar. By itself, the tubing base weighs about 15 lbs. I calculated that enough cement/mortar to fill the tubing would weigh about nine lbs when cured, which would bring it up to 24 (if needed).

I brazed the bottom plumbing component onto the strap. The braze is no great shakes for neatness, but is strong. Above the bottom component I used fittings to connect to the four-foot long threaded pipe. At first I had a "butterfly-type" twirling sprinkler mounted on this stand's pipe (that's what shown in the picture). The buttefly didn't put out as much "reaction" as would be the case with an impulse type head. But, in fact, the extra weight from some cement/mortar in the base proved not to be necessary for that. Because when I switched to the impulse head, the stand still stood stable, no problem!

Name:  Sprinkler base 1.jpg
Views: 8807
Size:  143.2 KBName:  Sprinkler base 2.jpg
Views: 8811
Size:  39.6 KB
    Last edited by Joel_BC; 10-27-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Sweet.

Does the job and no money spent on materials!
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Name:  T-bardriver.jpg
Views: 8712
Size:  76.6 KBName:  welding cart1.jpg
Views: 8715
Size:  42.4 KBName:  smoker.jpg
Views: 8688
Size:  60.2 KB

Most of what I build is scrap pile builds. There are a few things that I do that aren't but usually I'm pulling from the scrap pile for most everything I build. Why pay more for something I already have.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Park bench

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8646
Size:  49.9 KB
    MM 180

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_BC View Post
    I admire a lot of the things you guys posted in this thread. By contrast, my little project doesn't show great finesse in the finishing department. But it is a useful thing I made from scrap steel. I made a sprinkler base for our homestead veggie garden - one that proved to have an adequate footprint and also enough weight (by virtue of its materials) to be stable when topped by an "impulse sprinkler" head.

I had some square tubing off cuts. I wound up using two that had a 2-inch cross section, and two that were just 11/2 inch. Also, I had a scrap of quarter-inch by 2-inch strap steel.

I cut tubing pieces to 13 inches. My design was to weld (flux-core) them together in such a way that the ends are left open. My idea was that if, after testing it in action, I needed to add more weight I could stuff the tubes with mason's mortar. By itself, the tubing base weighs about 15 lbs. I calculated that enough cement/mortar to fill the tubing would weigh about nine lbs when cured, which would bring it up to 24 (if needed).

I brazed the bottom plumbing component onto the strap. The braze is no great shakes for neatness, but is strong. Above the bottom component I used fittings to connect to the four-foot long threaded pipe. At first I had a "butterfly-type" twirling sprinkler mounted on this stand's pipe (that's what shown in the picture). The buttefly didn't put out as much "reaction" as would be the case with an impulse type head. But, in fact, the extra weight from some cement/mortar in the base proved not to be necessary for that. Because when I switched to the impulse head, the stand still stood stable, no problem!

Name:  Sprinkler base 1.jpg
Views: 8807
Size:  143.2 KBName:  Sprinkler base 2.jpg
Views: 8811
Size:  39.6 KB
    Neat design for the sprinker. If it did become "tippy", you could just run some lengths of scrap rebar through the square tubing holes to stabilize it, in one direction or both. Easy to put in, take out.

Shortfuse... Good idea.

a couple more scrap pile builds.Name:  103_4553.jpg
Views: 8392
Size:  75.4 KBName:  IMG_0562.jpg
Views: 8364
Size:  85.0 KBName:  20150906_125242.jpg
Views: 8345
Size:  55.1 KBName:  103_4312.jpg
Views: 8344
Size:  40.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ThorsHammer; 10-27-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Those are great, Thors.

I gotta say... everyone I've shown this thread to has been real impressed.

Bring it on, guys!