2016 PowerMTS 251Si Multi-Process 3 in 1 DC 250 Amp Pulse MIG/Pulse TIG/ Stick Welder - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 PowerMTS 251Si Multi-Process 3 in 1 DC 250 Amp Pulse MIG/Pulse TIG/ Stick We

For those of you who have small 4" wire rolls please note that you can not mount them on the 251Si. What I did was get one of those large mounting magnets and attach a 1/2" carriage bolt with a series of washers and nuts to make a mount that works perfect.
    Name:  roll adapter1.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  36.6 KB

Since its magnetic you can mount it anywhere.
    Name:  roll adapter2.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  29.6 KB

I use a series of washers, nuts, and lock washers to tweak the tension. Has work flawlessly for three rolls so far.

Re: 2016 PowerMTS 251Si Multi-Process 3 in 1 DC 250 Amp Pulse MIG/Pulse TIG/ Stick We

That wire roll mount is a neat idea.

The synergic mode settings aren't quite right on my 211si, but maybe they've updated the programming on newer models?
    Everlast PowerMTS 211Si

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Yes KMA, they have worked on the way the unit figures it, and have (from my last conversation) changed it to display amperage in syn mode.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Yes KMA, they have worked on the way the unit figures it, and have (from my last conversation) changed it to display amperage in syn mode.
    Thanks Lugweld. Is it possible to get a unit reprogrammed? Other than an issue running at cooler temps, I really like my 211si and the service I've gotten from Everlast.
    Everlast PowerMTS 211Si

Well, it wouldn't be something that would be a warranty issue. I think some internal changes were made to the front board someway. I am not 100% on this, and would have to ask Ray or someone else on that.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Something I might add about the wire holder. You can use more than one mount. For instance I have one for my .025 and one for my .035 wire. I can rewind the wire and keep my tension settings and just use a second spool that is already tensioned.

If you cant find a source for the magnets, pick up a 4" Magnetic ground block from Harbor Freight and remove the bolt. Part number 30754. They cost $8.

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be something that would be a warranty issue. I think some internal changes were made to the front board someway. I am not 100% on this, and would have to ask Ray or someone else on that.
    Were any other changes made since the original 211Si release?

No. Not to my knowledge.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Ok, went to install my first 12lb roll of wire and am very disappointed.

First off the alignment holes don't mate. Second no way to hold the spool in place as there is too much room between the spool and the main nut. The documentation is totally useless, both the manual that came with the unit and those from the other units.

Looks like I am down to have to fabricate a spool holder for the 12lb spools as well. I have to say this is pretty crappy. While this was my goto welder, it just went down a peg or two. This is freaking simple stuff. Some sort of spacer should have been included as a minimum.

Just as with any 40+ lb carrier, you have to use an adapter. 12" rolls are wider than 8" rolls. Everlast is no different than any other company that I know of in that respect. I don't know why you'd be disappointed in it when it is the same as other brands in this regard. It's physically impossible to use different varying width rolls without some concession. We have adapters available, just as other companies do, which have to be ordered separately as well. Call Everlast to order. Or you can simply cut a piece of pvc and slide over the carrier.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I was able to make an adapter by cutting a piece of 2" PVC pipe to take up the space between the back of the spool mount and the spool. I also had to laser cut a rubber washer to allow me to create enough friction to fully attach the spool to the spool holder. This way the tension spring in the spool holder works properly.

I can understand the 4" spools, but come on a 5 cent piece of plastic.
    Last edited by msimpson99; 05-04-2016 at 12:18 AM.

For that 5Cent piece of plastic, lincoln would charge you 40.00 extra. We don't but we do charge for it.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Part number for that adapter? I want one.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Yes, would have been nice to mention something about and adapter in the manual (if you want to call it that). Also I went to your site and did several searches. Could not find any adapters. Would be nice if you would post product links to your site when you mention things like that.

FYI, Lincoln offers adapters with their machines up to and including the 210MP. You are correct int hat the larger machines they are an option. However the are mentioned in their manuals with part numbers.

I here is a bit of advice from someone who runs a small business. You should never strive to be just like your larger competitors. Your goals should be not only to beat them on a price point. Its all the little things that do add up. This is one reason that All my recent equipment purchases have been Everlast. I probably would not have had the reaction I did had their been some sort of reference in the manual.

The 251 is a larger machine. It is designed for 250 amps and 44 lb roll. The 251Si is a much larger machine. Compare that to the 211si...which is a smaller unit.
    We do strive to be better, but reality is that (and any one in business knows this) no matter how hard we try, someone is always going to find something to have an issue with us about. We offer better prices, and more extensive features and a longer warranty. And we are working on improving serviceability and service times. That is what we are concentrating on. If we offer an adapter, like other companies do, as an option, when we offer features our competitor's don't come close to, it would seem we are being better. But again, we have to do our best to keep our focus on the things mentioned above to stay competitive with our much smaller staff and company resources.

All you need to do is call in and talk with Andrew at ext 202. He'll set you up with one.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I have owned the same mig welder for 28 years. It didn't come with any adapter to accept 8 inch spools. I asked my lws on more than one occasion for som sort of spacer. No dice. I used to wedge a sheet metal screw between the spool and the spindle, totally redneck but it worked. I finally got fed up after searching for hours on the internet for an adapter and made my own out of plumbing parts. This little adapter is exactly what l have been looking for. Everlast should put this item on ebay and amazon. Lincoln does have something that works too but it's almost as redneck as my home brewed solution. The Everlast part is elegant by comparison. This is the $27 Lincoln part that my lws had no idea even existed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Has anybody recently received a PowerMTS 251Si? I was under the impression that one of the features of the unit was quiet fan operation, but the unit I just received makes quite a rise-and-fall siren racket when simply powered-on and idling. Has anyone else experienced this? Everlast tells me this is normal, explaining that "The case has been changed and the unit changed to a two fan design to increase the duty cycle to 40%".

Here's what it sounds like when powered up on 120v and just sitting idle: http://toddtolhurst.com/dl/251si.wav

You may have an issue with your power supply on the input side. I think it is possible from the sound. PM me your information, and I'll check on it myself and have someone contact you. The duty cycle is 50%.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Were you able to find out anything? I haven't heard anything further out of Everlast.

I've sent an email. On 120V this is supposed to pulse the fan like this. I am not sure if it is switching between fans or varying the fan speed. The speed is programmed by the machine. However, what I have received has said this is normal on 120V. What happens on 240V?
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Haven't tried it on 240V yet. I guess that's next...

Installed the 240V circuit and fired it up. Sounds identical.

Is there a way to change the wire speed indicated vs actual? I set it too 400 In/Min and it only cranks out 260 In/Min, just as slow at lower settings too. seems like there should be a way to calibrate that.

The unit feature a slow run in. You can't measure wire speed until an arc is struck. Once struck the wire feeder speeds up.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT