2016 PowerMTS 251Si Multi-Process 3 in 1 DC 250 Amp Pulse MIG/Pulse TIG/ Stick Welder - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: 2016 PowerMTS 251Si Multi-Process 3 in 1 DC 250 Amp Pulse MIG/Pulse TIG/ Stick We

Set inductance at about 70%. You'll see a good bit of difference.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Re: 2016 PowerMTS 251Si Multi-Process 3 in 1 DC 250 Amp Pulse MIG/Pulse TIG/ Stick We

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    I'd do both.
    I don't envy that job, that's a lot of work just doing that alone with what ever else you do. I think red and blue probably have several people solely devoted to that task.... and making some silly and lots of good youtube videos.
    Time is money as they say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Set inductance at about 70%. You'll see a good bit of difference.
    What exactly is inductance and what is it doing?

Quote Originally Posted by MadWood&Fab View Post
    What exactly is inductance and what is it doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]u

Thanks Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by -Kevin View Post

FYI - I think that the first video (from Paul) has the inductance setting versus shorting frequency backwards. Jody (on the second video) has it right.
    From my understanding of the effects of inductance on short circuit welding:
    Higher inductance settings give a more gradual current rise when the wire shorts into the weld pool. This slower current rise then requires more time for the wire to heat up and "explode" (which opens the circuit and re-initiates the arc). This gives a lower "explosion" frequency and more arc on-time. Theoretically the weld pool is hotter so you get a little better penetration and a flatter puddle.
    Higher inductance settings also provide a softer arc and less splatter.
    But from what I can tell the differences are subtle for all but the extreme inductance settings.

Keep in mind that Inductance settings for different brands are a relative percent of adjustability. Some may list it as a value of 1 (or Zero) -10. Others may express it as 0-100%. Every company that has adjustable inductance will likely have a different range of adjustment. Even companies that have a "fixed" inductance do not have the same exact level of inductance. (All MIG welders have at least some inductance that is fixed by design). That is why you find, imho, people who like the arc quality of Miller over Lincoln, or Lincoln over Miller, or ESAB over all of them, etc. or whatever pecking order people have in brand preference for arc quality is because of the level of fixed inductance that machines have been traditionally designed around. Really, arc force/inductance allows people to "choose" what kind of machine they want to weld with to some extent, as arc force adjustment allows the user to mimic the performance of their favorite brand, (and in some cases they convert themselves to a new type of arc preference).
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

MIG Pulse
    Anyone tried MIG pulse mode on the 251Si? Does Synergic work with pulse or do you set all the parameters manually?

No it is not synergic and is manually set.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I didn't notice this mentioned earlier but the Full Manual is posted on Everlasts website for the 251si, its big! As someone who writes manuals at work occasionally I feel your pain, but nice job!

No it is not synergic and is manually set.
    Thanks Lugweld,
    Santa said I can get a new welder so two last questions:
    What is the naked weight (no wire, no cables) for the 251Si vs the 211Si?
    Last, are there any features that the 251 is missing compared to the 211Si? This includes low power and min wire diameter/speed range since, right now, all my welding is with less than 1/4" (down to 24 ga - 0.024"). I would spring for the 251Si (to be future proof) but not at the cost of portability or thin metal capability.
    Thanks

211Si is 55 lbs. 251Si is 70 lbs.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Are there any changes in the 2017 model from 2016? I'm on the phone with everlast and the sales dude claims 2016 DOESN'T have 4 roller feed or 12" spool capacity. On Amazon, the 2016 is 1450, and at Everlast the 2017 is 1550, both free shipping.

The 2016 does have. The 2015 did not have.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Is there any advantage to getting the 2017 from everlast at $1550 versus the 2016 from Amazon at $1450? Both prices are shipping included.

Well, I've had this for about 1.5 months. I haven't done tons with it, and haven't tried the TIG. However, what I have done was pushing it pretty darn hard, and I'm very impressed. Had my son-in-law, a professional welder, try it and he was very impressed too.

As for the price difference Amazon to Everlast direct, I have no idea what the difference is, other than I was told it has updated programming.

With respect to serviceability, there are no reliable service depots near me, so that pretty much doesn't factor in. Miller, lincoln, esab, sparc-fart, - doesn't matter. It will have to get shipped out if there is a real problem. The local miller repair shop has had a friend's unit for 6 months now, and hasn't touched it, so I count them out. When they get one of local industries units, there is a slim chance it will get repaired. Usually it comes back cleaned and still defective. All other brands go back to where you bought it, and you pay shipping. The plus with everlast is that they will work with you to solve a problem. I haven't had a problem yet, and may not, but I love the idea of fixing it myself with a little assistance. Knowledge is a good thing.

Items of note:

-The number of settings can be overwhelming. Mess with them one at a time to figure them out. Otherwise, it can be easy to get lost.

-The memory setting are great! When you have a happy setting, save it and you have it later. Just be sure to write down a description for them.

-It does spray transfer very nicely. The supplied gun is a little light, but works. Considering a 36 clone and larger ground and stinger cables.

-It burns 6010, NO PROBLEM, in the right hands. I can run it quite well, having never done it before, and the son-in-law went through several sticks with nary a flame-out or hiccup. He didn't know there was potential difficulties with it until I told him. Even then, he said it felt fine.

-The pulse works great, but takes a while dial in. Once I learn it well, it will be my main process.

-The wire feed is a bit different in that it doesn't take off until an arc is established. It is just another thing to get used to, and no big deal.

-The setting for MIG are NOT straight across the same as a Miller. Well, duh! I suspect this accounts for some of the naysayers regarding non-miller/lincoln/etc, machines. Folks tend to think something is defective if it doesn't work the same as what they are used to.

-The synergic works very well. Basically set it and forget it. When first trying it, I had the settings out of whack, trying the same as the millers at work(good thing I have spare tips!). Flipping to synergic gave me a good starting point. Synergic is great for basic stuff, until you want to do fine tuning. There are still plenty of settings, but pulse and standard offer way more.

Not related to the machine, but if you have gas shielded flux core, it doesn't work worth a darn without gas. Go on, ask me how I know! Interestingly, if you turn the volts way down, you can get an almost acceptable bead. Just a bead that you could probably peel off with a butter knife.

All in all, a great machine. For what my opinion is worth, I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a highly adjustable, versatile, capable and well priced machine. Only time will tell if durability is a factor, but with a 5 year warranty, I'm not too concerned.

You know you can adjust voltage at any time in the synergic mode right? And it will remember the new ratio.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
    Well, I've had this for about 1.5 months. I haven't done tons with it, and haven't tried the TIG. However, what I have done was pushing it pretty darn hard, and I'm very impressed. Had my son-in-law, a professional welder, try it and he was very impressed too.

As for the price difference Amazon to Everlast direct, I have no idea what the difference is, other than I was told it has updated programming.

With respect to serviceability, there are no reliable service depots near me, so that pretty much doesn't factor in. Miller, lincoln, esab, sparc-fart, - doesn't matter. It will have to get shipped out if there is a real problem. The local miller repair shop has had a friend's unit for 6 months now, and hasn't touched it, so I count them out. When they get one of local industries units, there is a slim chance it will get repaired. Usually it comes back cleaned and still defective. All other brands go back to where you bought it, and you pay shipping. The plus with everlast is that they will work with you to solve a problem. I haven't had a problem yet, and may not, but I love the idea of fixing it myself with a little assistance. Knowledge is a good thing.

Items of note:

-The number of settings can be overwhelming. Mess with them one at a time to figure them out. Otherwise, it can be easy to get lost.

-The memory setting are great! When you have a happy setting, save it and you have it later. Just be sure to write down a description for them.

-It does spray transfer very nicely. The supplied gun is a little light, but works. Considering a 36 clone and larger ground and stinger cables.

-It burns 6010, NO PROBLEM, in the right hands. I can run it quite well, having never done it before, and the son-in-law went through several sticks with nary a flame-out or hiccup. He didn't know there was potential difficulties with it until I told him. Even then, he said it felt fine.

-The pulse works great, but takes a while dial in. Once I learn it well, it will be my main process.

-The wire feed is a bit different in that it doesn't take off until an arc is established. It is just another thing to get used to, and no big deal.

-The setting for MIG are NOT straight across the same as a Miller. Well, duh! I suspect this accounts for some of the naysayers regarding non-miller/lincoln/etc, machines. Folks tend to think something is defective if it doesn't work the same as what they are used to.

-The synergic works very well. Basically set it and forget it. When first trying it, I had the settings out of whack, trying the same as the millers at work(good thing I have spare tips!). Flipping to synergic gave me a good starting point. Synergic is great for basic stuff, until you want to do fine tuning. There are still plenty of settings, but pulse and standard offer way more.

Not related to the machine, but if you have gas shielded flux core, it doesn't work worth a darn without gas. Go on, ask me how I know! Interestingly, if you turn the volts way down, you can get an almost acceptable bead. Just a bead that you could probably peel off with a butter knife.

All in all, a great machine. For what my opinion is worth, I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a highly adjustable, versatile, capable and well priced machine. Only time will tell if durability is a factor, but with a 5 year warranty, I'm not too concerned.
    Timbob, did you reverse the polarity when you tried out fluxcore wire?

Is it possible for the 251si to weld .023 wire? Or is it just too big and hot for it? What would have to be done to make it run .023? Different gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Wilde View Post
    Is it possible for the 251si to weld .023 wire? Or is it just too big and hot for it? What would have to be done to make it run .023? Different gun?

Get .023 rollers, liner and contact tips. Play with your settings and away you go! The synergic should work fine with it.

Doesn't the synergic need the wire size to make it work? Don't think the 251 has .023 as an option does it?

Mine has the .023 setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
    Mine has the .023 setting.
    Yeah sorry I was reading online and it stated uses .030 and up so assumed it didn't. Odd that the syn mode has it but the machine needs to be modified to run it.

I'm going to be purchasing one of these units later this summer, I will be running .030 fluxcore wire since I will only have one tank of 100% Ar and I intend to learn tig. I want to know what tungsten and filler rod diameters I should buy. I mostly work with 14ga and 1/8 mild steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Wilde View Post
    Yeah sorry I was reading online and it stated uses .030 and up so assumed it didn't. Odd that the syn mode has it but the machine needs to be modified to run it.

You don't need to modify the machine! You need to purchase the drive roller however. Nothing, any other brand doesn't require.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT