New (to me) manual lathe
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New (to me) manual lathe

I've been busy for the last week. I picked up a 1974 Summit 19-4x80 lathe and somehow shoe horned it into the shop. The photo is before I started de-greasing it. I don't think it has been cleaned since it was new. It's looking better now but still has a lot more muscle to get it done. I finally finished the conduit origami and powered it up today. It appears to run ok but the oiler drip window didn't seem to flow as I expected, so I drained the old, nasty, oil. I then checked the pump pickup screen was clear and verified the pump. The pump appeared to pump correctly so I addressed the drip pan. It appears someone poorly modified the drip pan causing it to never reach the full level. It normally should reach 5/16" and instead only did about 1/16th. Because the drip window was at the far side it was somewhat starved. To fix the issue I bent a simple sheet metal dam and spot welded it into place. Now the oil drip pan fills completely and evenly drops oil everywhere there is a hole in the pan.

Just like all my new stuff... I have to tear it apart and see how it works. Reminds me of my toys when I was younger.

Name:  IMG_2163[1].jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  53.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2173[1].jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2176[1].jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2177[1].jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  32.6 KB

Re: New (to me) manual lathe

Sweet score!
    Miller Dynasty 200dx
    Lincoln power mig 255
    Travel and comercial A/O rigs
    Cheap 7"x14" horizontal bandsaw
    2 14" abrasion saws
    Drill press.
    Arsenal of grinders/die grinders
    Power tools
    Hand tools

Dam, thats gota weigh a few pounds......
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most...
    I know just enough about everything to be dangerous......
    You cant cure stupid..only kill it...

Sturdy!
    -Aaron
    Jet 17.5" Drill Press
    1942 South Bend 16x84 Lathe
    1980s Miller 320A / BP --- 2013 Power Mig 256
    2012 Jet 7x12 Horizontal Bandsaw
    Victor O/A Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Gavo View Post
    Sweet score!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillbobb View Post
    Dam, thats gota weigh a few pounds......
    According to the spec sheet it weighs 6,800 lbs... I'm sure it was closer to 7k with all the dirt and grime.

Here's what it looked like new... with all the specs. It's 4.125" spindle bore, 1500 RPM, 19" (or around 27" with the gap removed). It even has a taper attachment.
    http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-...20Brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by rabidchimp View Post
    Sturdy!
    -Aaron
    I hope so. I've needed a better manual lathe for ages. It's been ridden hard and put away wet but overall it appears fairly tight and is just really dirty. I'll know more once I can start making some test cuts on it. I need to sort out the way wipers, the coolant pump, and a few more items.

What country was it made in Romania?
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That thing looks huge! Well, nothing like a new project on these cold, wet NW days!

DB

Quote Originally Posted by johnrbauer View Post
    What country was it made in Romania?
    I suspect that is correct... I forgot to ask Summit when I had them run the serial number.

I worked in a shop in the 90s that had one of there Boring Mills great machine. The story goes owner of the shop told me he went to a tool show in Chicago he said he didn't have any money. Got to talking to the rep. they set him up with a plan he couldn't refuse. They had it shipped to New Haven, In. and set it up for him. They came back and worked on it once when I worked there. Two repair men from Romania working here. Great people and machine. That was back in the day.
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I didn't see any in the photos, did you get some tooling with that hog? If not that's going to get ugly in a hurry. Good luck with the new toy.

Excellent score Randy, hope it works well for you!
    Classic 300D
    LN-25
    Plain Jane O/A

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    That thing looks huge! Well, nothing like a new project on these cold, wet NW days!
    Cold and wet is right. I pressure washed the the coalescer for the Mori today. My boots are soaked. Thankfully the shop is toasty warm. I want to get it making chips as quick as possible... it is half the distance to the bandsaw as the Leblond so it would save me some miles over the course of a day.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrbauer View Post
    I worked in a shop in the 90s that had one of there Boring Mills great machine. The story goes owner of the shop told me he went to a tool show in Chicago he said he didn't have any money. Got to talking to the rep. they set him up with a plan he couldn't refuse. They had it shipped to New Haven, In. and set it up for him. They came back and worked on it once when I worked there. Two repair men from Romania working here. Great people and machine. That was back in the day.
    I think a lot of Romanian machines and tractors came to market in the 70's and early 80's as they tried to stabilize their economy. I think this made it a buyers market for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gundog77 View Post
    I didn't see any in the photos, did you get some tooling with that hog? If not that's going to get ugly in a hurry. Good luck with the new toy.
    I did get some basic tooling but I already have a lot of tooling as I have a couple other big lathes. I definitely know how quickly tooling costs can climb... I have a CNC lathe.

Nice looking machine. Thats a nice big spindle bore, the one thing I hate about my monarch is the less than 2" bore on basically the same size swing machine as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs_ View Post
    Nice looking machine. Thats a nice big spindle bore, the one thing I hate about my monarch is the less than 2" bore on basically the same size swing machine as yours.
    What do you have pugs?

I have a Monarch model 61. Has about a 15.5 swing actual. I have a 1.5" ID thru spindle hole. Not much, but better than nothing.

That's a nice lathe Randy. I imagine it will look like new in short order

Mine is a 18.5 CBB 72"

Cool!

Awesome Lathe, with over a 4" bore, very nice.
    Best of luck.
    CNC lathe sounds like fun, if I ever find software that does not bore me to death. All the good software is 10,000. And 3,000 a year or more for updates.
    I would rather write g code than pay all that money.
    Thanks for posting,
    Raf

We're you able too test the lathe at all before buying? That's a big through hole! Congrats on the new toy. How much did it set you back?CL buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs_ View Post
    I hear you! I've lived with either a small spindle bore or small space between centers. The Leblond is like 1.5" and the Mori is 3.5"... but the Mori can only do 18" between centers. I'm thinking this machine will fit my needs nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    That's a nice lathe Randy. I imagine it will look like new in short order
    Thanks. It is taking forever to get clean. I was thinking it would be nice to paint it... but I suspect I'll simply get it running well and use it. Paint doesn't make me money.

Quote Originally Posted by raf View Post
    Awesome Lathe, with over a 4" bore, very nice.
    Best of luck.
    CNC lathe sounds like fun, if I ever find software that does not bore me to death. All the good software is 10,000. And 3,000 a year or more for updates.
    I would rather write g code than pay all that money.
    Thanks for posting
    Thanks. I hear you on the cost. I wrote all my g-code by hand for years. I still do for quick stuff. My CNC lathe is a Mori-Seiki Duraturn 2550 that has the MAPPS conversational cam package on the machine. No ongoing software costs. I find it very quick to go from print (or napkin) to part. I tried using my CAD/CAM package to to do lathe work but it was a lot slower to program... not to mention my vendor wanted more dough for the lathe portion. When the demo expired I didn't pursue it further.

I think I have a handle on all the controls. I ran-in the spindle today. Basically started it this morning and changed speed or direction every time I walked by. The new way wipers arrived so verified the carriage oil pump was working and let the pump wash out all the gunk under the carriage after I removed the old wipers. I didn't know what the original wipers material was... leather, cork, wool felt, or rubber. They looked like felt but crumbled like cork. When I ordered them I was thinking they were felt and about fell out of my chair when the full set was $100... thinking they were die cut felt. I was pleasantly surprised when the set arrived and they were modern synthetic rubber of some kind. They fit perfectly. Now I can do more cleaning without getting junk under the carriage.

The tailstock was missing one wiper entirely. The other wipers were worn down to nothing. Simple and easy maintenance item and they just let it go... and it shows.

Name:  IMG_2179[1].jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2181[1].jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  56.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2183[1].jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2184[1].jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2185[1].jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  57.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    We're you able too test the lathe at all before buying? That's a big through hole! Congrats on the new toy. How much did it set you back?CL buy?
    I knew the owner and had seen it run several years ago. When he passed away the family disconnected the three phase so I wasn't able to run it. The price was fair. The light in the shop was pretty dim... it definitely looked better in his shop. I was kinda shocked when I got it back to my shop and could see how grimy it was. But I can see through dirt. The bed ways look good with the exception of one long scratch that needs to be dressed. The tailstock ways have some dings and need to be stoned. I'm going to pull off the tail stock and check the bottom. The cross slide ways are fair.

forhire how much would you charge for lathe lessons? I bought one awhile back, all I’ve figured out is how to turn it on.
    I’m about 85-miles north of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    forhire how much would you charge for lathe lessons? I bought one awhile back, all I’ve figured out is how to turn it on.
    More important!!!
    Have you learn to turn if off

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ostie01 View Post
    More important!!!
    Have you learn to turn if off

Jeff
    That was easier! I just cut the wires!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

It's been a few years but if your looking for some tips i'd be happy to see what i recall, for lathe's i've ran little Harding's and an old Axleson with quite a few in between. Did jig bore's and horizontal boring mill's (DeVlieg) too. I've made a few chips in the past.

That was easier! I just cut the wires!
    Lol..