Best welding helmet - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Best welding helmet

believe me, I've been thinking about that same thing but at our shop we stay so busy it's hard to find time to do little projects like that. it's not that we are missing common sense or brains...it's just I would rather be working on something fun instead of fixing an engineers screw up especially on my time.

maybe you haven't found the right size....take a big one to fit around all those brains and common sense...
    Blue stock- shopmaster, a/bp330, maxstar 150stl, maxstar 210, hf251, Tbolt ac/dc, mm 135
    Red stock-ranger 8, weldanpower 150, idealarc 250 ac/dc
    Esab plasma, Victor OA set, Air products ac/dc 400 amp
    It's me flipped in snow..doughnut fail

here's a couple shots of the snap on "high quality"....I paid full list at 469. Name:  20160427_151308.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  20160427_151405.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  20160427_165342.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  43.2 KB

my old auto darkening 49 dollar lincoln hood was much more durable. I gave it to my cousin when I bought this pos. optrel is ordered...hope it's as good as I hear.

they hid the made in china on the lens with a piece of black plastic...it's only purpose was to hide the made in china mark.

Name:  20160427_151818.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  31.6 KB
    Blue stock- shopmaster, a/bp330, maxstar 150stl, maxstar 210, hf251, Tbolt ac/dc, mm 135

No offense but you paid 4x the price because Snap Off put their sticker on it.

I really don't know why any mechanics buy Snap Off or other tool truck welding equipment. Could have just bought the cheap Chicom crap direct stuff and put on your own stickers to cover it up.

What Optrel did you order? You will really like it.
    Last edited by xryan; 04-28-2016 at 02:35 AM.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

I just got the infinity digital from miller. I am very impressed, the color is much more gold than the green it was on my titanium. Head gear it much better too.
    Precision TIG 225
    MillerMatic 250
    Powermax 35XP
    Powermax 65
    TM 4X4 w/ water table
    Lagun FTV1
    Monarch 10EE
    JD2 M3 with hydro conversion

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    No offense but you paid 4x the price because Snap Off put their sticker on it.

I really don't know why any mechanics buy Snap Off or other tool truck welding equipment. Could have just bought the cheap Chicom crap direct stuff and put on your own stickers to cover it up.

What Optrel did you order? You will really like it.
    I know I overpaid. I should have researched it. instead I took his word on it...he said it's the latest and greatest one to date. my boss has an older snap on hood and it was high also but it's quality is higher than the one I got. I was in a hurry and had extra cash so I jumped before looking..
    I ordered the optrel e684.

I usually don't buy welding supplies or accessories off the truck but like I said, it was new and he threw a good sales pitch. I have spent at least 100 a week on his truck for over 2 years now. still waiting for that replacement..I owe him 150 right now...this coming Tuesday I am paying that balance off and putting his *** on a diet.

I'm using an ancient, no name pipe helmet I found in my garage. I think it's one my dad used years ago when he was building bridges. It's kind of a crack up. I'm using it with a gas welding setup now, so all I have in it is a shade five lens. When I get 220 in my garage and start learning how to stick weld I'm going to upgrade. I'm looking at a Jackson Balder. Nice headgear in those Jacksons.
    Smith Toughcut
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1461895497342.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  28.9 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    my old auto darkening 49 dollar lincoln hood was much more durable. I gave it to my cousin when I bought this pos. optrel is ordered...hope it's as good as I hear.
    I'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't love that lens. Except Gamble. He hates everything.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't love that lens. Except Gamble. He hates everything.
    I'm already happy...it didn't cost 469

probably be happier when it gets here

hope it's not coming via "United package smashers"

There are several class 4 AD helmet lenses out now that are decidedly clearer than their predecessors. The Lincoln 3350 is an excellent helmet with a Class 4 lens and can be bought for $220 or so online, about $150 less than a Speedglas. It also has a neutral to yellow puddle, as opposed to the greenish puddle that the Speedglas lens has. The color of the puddle is a major difference in the different AD lens you're considering. The Jackson Nexgen and the Lincoln are more to the yellow puddle shade, the others can be blue/green to green. Different people react differently to the different colors, so try them and pick what you like personally the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moose View Post
    There are several class 4 AD helmet lenses out now that are decidedly clearer than their predecessors. The Lincoln 3350 is an excellent helmet with a Class 4 lens and can be bought for $220 or so online, about $150 less than a Speedglas. It also has a neutral to yellow puddle, as opposed to the greenish puddle that the Speedglas lens has. The color of the puddle is a major difference in the different AD lens you're considering. The Jackson Nexgen and the Lincoln are more to the yellow puddle shade, the others can be blue/green to green. Different people react differently to the different colors, so try them and pick what you like personally the best.
    I have tried several, lots of metal workers in the family and lots of friends in the field. the optrel is one that I have not tried but I'm pretty confident that it will be good. if it's just a little better than mine I'll be happy. from what I hear and what I have read it think it'll do. if not it's just another tax write off anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Welder View Post
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1461895497342.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  28.9 KB
    Couldn't put a bigger star on there?...Everything's bigger in Texas.
    Ryan

CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moose View Post
    I don't think I mentioned the Lincoln Viking 3350, also an excellent clarity lens choice. I just prefer the Miller over it because the x-mode and headgear. But it is nearly $100 cheaper...soo I could get a black one and put an "M" sticker on it

I still can't stand any of the Speedglas Ienses, and the new 9100xx, I tried and found the side windows very distracting when trying to weld.
    Ryan

CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

I almost ordered the Speedglas but the auto adjust of the optrel kinda sold it for me...I sometimes use 2 or 3 machines a day and it will be nice not having to switch shades back and forth.
    The way I see it, can't be any worse than what I have right now.
    thanks for the input...I see that optrel on your list. any thing I should be aware of?? thanks for sharing

Yes, you'll REALLY like the Optrel, no doubt about it. The -only- thing I don't like is also something I do like. Having the controls on the outside left temple is nice, especially for being able to press the center of the shade darkness selector to toggle the grind on/off function. But then there are those few times when I hit the control knobs when welding something. That is really annoying.
    Ryan

CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

good to know..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    I don't think I mentioned the Lincoln Viking 3350, also an excellent clarity lens choice. I just prefer the Miller over it because the x-mode and headgear. But it is nearly $100 cheaper...soo I could get a black one and put an "M" sticker on it

I still can't stand any of the Speedglas Ienses, and the new 9100xx, I tried and found the side windows very distracting when trying to weld.
    I love the side windows. But anyone that doesn't like them can put in the covers that come with it.

I've been using speedglas 9100xx helmets with the adflo backpack for the last two years, I personal love it, very large viewing area, very clear screen, and although the headgear feels a bit strange when you first put it on, it is very comfortable over an entire day, I highly recommend them.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk