Dynasty 350 has 3 boards actually.

pwb P/N 228496 Rev-a
    ahh, you're right. i see

228 493 . . CIRCUIT CARD ASSY, POWER INTERCONNECT

in the miller parts list.

I'm tempted to take a chance.
    ESAB Heliarc 252

Re: Miller Dynasty 350. for sale $2k.

Currently downloading some pics of the board to photobucket so i can post them here. pics of the damaged "thing" with no numbers on it. It makes me want to cry looking at how small this dumb chip is and it stops the whole machine dead in its tracs.

You cant order it, because u dont know what it is. And even if miller told you the name of it, they wont sell it to you. You must buy a brand new board or a reconditioned board that sometimes they sell.

i will post some pics in a few min.

The damaged board

The damaged chip or whatever on the center of the pics:

The backside of the damaged chip.

The board again.

wow looks like a damn surface mount resistor on one side and a transistor on the other
    ESAB Heliarc 252

I removed the board to send it to some repair shop in NY to get it repaired for $200. but then they told me not to send it after they checked the Serial # and Stock # on the machine because they where not able to buy the parts for it.

Miller wont sell them.

And the $500. refurbished board they will only sell to certain authorized dealers and its their choice to help you out or not. (to pass on their savings to you)

Thats the catch

what about a local electronics store if all it needs is a capacitor and a resistor, that shouldnt be too much at all to fix?

and that the fact that that place doesnt have parts sounds kinda strange..mabey they dont have a schematic of the board to make sure that the problem is isolated to that particular place in the board.

heck i was ten miles away from carlos on monday; with the money. i spoke with him on the phone and he seemed to have no interest in selling it to me, maybe it has to be a shipped sale.

Something sounds fishy there if you was that close and he didn't want you to stop by and pick it up and only wants to ship it to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post
    heck i was ten miles away from carlos on monday; with the money. i spoke with him on the phone and he seemed to have no interest in selling it to me, maybe it has to be a shipped sale.
    With that said good luck on his sale .. I was really thinking about it to

Never heard any answers back to my questions, and the price for that board was $1225 from the LWS. I probably could talk the LWS down under $1000.

The problem is that that board is middle of a sandwich of components that includes the caps and IGBTs and if any of that has issues the price skyrockets. The repair guy I spoke to spent 15 minutes explaning how things are put together and how the price can double really quickly.
    ESAB Heliarc 252

This thing could be the steal of a lifetime for the right person, or a huge regret for someone else.

Nice machines, but obviously very easy to go "beyond economical repair" if their delicate components are damaged. Fine for a business that can afford to throw them away, less so for folks who have to dig deep to buy them.

FDCMIAMI,

You asked me to take the machine to you. I live 50 miles from you. you are 10 miles from my job, not from my house. U asked me to take the machine to my job, I was not working and you knew that. I guess if you would have posted this your story wouldnt be so ineresting after all huh?

Its raining every day and i have a regular cab pickup truck and a bad leg to be picking up the machine and driving it accross town with no real reasurance that my time wont be wasted. . this machine is heavy and if you really wanted it you should have come to my house and picked it up.

I think you regreat it now that you saw the pictures.

You where the one with no interest in buying it. Give me a call you got my number, come to my house. If i had something to hide i wouldnt tell you to come to my house, dont u think?
    Last edited by clctrader; 07-22-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: more details needed

I gave you my address and you said "aaaaw shoot" "ill go see it whenever you go back to your job" I told you i wasnt working for at least 3-4 days, that we didnt have any jobs for me to work (this is why am broke) .

It was too far for you to drive to my house so you told me you would just wait until i whent to my job again to see the machine.

But am the one with no interest right?

Am selling it cheap, and on top of that i will deliver it accross town because its too far for the "possible buyer". like if this was an extra large with 3 toppings .

would you like a pepsi with that?

I am certain that someone with electronics repair expertise, schematics, and the ability to search through Digikey could fix this in a snap.

I blew the $hit out of my HTP plasma cutter. Ferrous dust settled on the board, it arced and blew the board in several parts. It was 1000x worse than this one pictured.

My buddy, looked at the schematics, spent like 10 bucks at Digikey on line and desoldered it and resoldered the new parts in place. Turned it on and cut through 3/8" plate the first time I pulled the trigger!!!!!

My point is that you need the schematics and someone can cross reference the part and find a similar component. If Miller has a one of kind and will not sell it, I would be on the phone with their HR dept raising hell about a crappy product. You should have ZERO problems buying a replacement part if they actually have them.

Grant
    http://jackalopefab.com/
    MM210
    Synchrowave 200DX
    Miller XMT350 w/60series feeder
    Miller Bobcat 250 with SGA 100 and spoolgun
    HTP Plasma
    Full Machine shop with everything

Quote Originally Posted by clctrader View Post
    FDCMIAMI,

You asked me to take the machine to you. I live 50 miles from you. you are 10 miles from my job, not from my house. U asked me to take the machine to my job, I was not working and you knew that. I guess if you would have posted this your story wouldnt be so ineresting after all huh?

Its raining every day and i have a regular cab pickup truck and a bad leg to be picking up the machine and driving it accross town with no real reasurance that my time wont be wasted. . this machine is heavy and if you really wanted it you should have come to my house and picked it up.

I think you regreat it now that you saw the pictures.

You where the one with no interest in buying it. Give me a call you got my number, come to my house. If i had something to hide i wouldnt tell you to come to my house, dont u think?

you are full ob BS, that is not what went down. you called me after i contacted you and gave you my number. you told me you worked for an outfit on griffin road. it told you i knew where you were because 20 years ago i worked for jack downs for a little while just a few hundred yards up the street from your location. i told you i was coming from fort pierce and would be doing some work in ft lauderdale monday morning and would call you about ten after i got set up. when i called monday morning you were now working in southwest dade, out on a job. nothing about where you lived ace, you said working. you were very vague on the phone now that i was there in person. my words to you were, when will you be back up here, your reply was wednesday or thursday. i said give me a call when you get here and we'll meet. i was at that point feeling this was a little strange.

i'm beginning to think this is a little odd that a glass worker would be running around with a seven k welder. hey but stranger things have occurred. this is the end of it as far as i'm concerned but i'm not going to have you telling anyone i'm a gd'd liar.

it's you with the problem.
    Last edited by fdcmiami; 07-23-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I am certain that someone with electronics repair expertise, schematics, and the ability to search through Digikey could fix this in a snap.

I blew the $hit out of my HTP plasma cutter. Ferrous dust settled on the board, it arced and blew the board in several parts. It was 1000x worse than this one pictured.

My buddy, looked at the schematics, spent like 10 bucks at Digikey on line and desoldered it and resoldered the new parts in place. Turned it on and cut through 3/8" plate the first time I pulled the trigger!!!!!

My point is that you need the schematics and someone can cross reference the part and find a similar component. If Miller has a one of kind and will not sell it, I would be on the phone with their HR dept raising hell about a crappy product. You should have ZERO problems buying a replacement part if they actually have them.
    Therein lies the rub. Manufacturers are often unwilling to provide schematics and/or other repair information to anyone but their 'certified' repair centers.

As an electronics tech, seeing the pics of that board, it could have been a simple failure, but often it's a case of.. what downstream component sucked so much current through those two devices that made them release their smoke. That's where the repair job can get expensive for a DIY repair.

I'm almost tempted, but I'd want to be sure I can get schematics first.

Papa
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

So my job as a fiberglass and finish is not worthy of me owning $7k welder ? Interesting.

We all know how a problem starts, but you never know where its gonna end up.

Just forget about it. ...

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post
    you are full ob BS, that is not what went down. you called me after i contacted you and gave you my number. you told me you worked for an outfit on griffin road. it told you i knew where you were because 20 years ago i worked for jack downs for a little while just a few hundred yards up the street from your location. i told you i was coming from fort pierce and would be doing some work in ft lauderdale monday morning and would call you about ten after i got set up. when i called monday morning you were now working in southwest dade, out on a job. nothing about where you lived ace, you said working. you were very vague on the phone now that i was there in person. my words to you were, when will you be back up here, your reply was wednesday or thursday. i said give me a call when you get here and we'll meet. i was at that point feeling this was a little strange.

i'm beginning to think this is a little odd that a glass worker would be running around with a seven k welder. hey but stranger things have occurred. this is the end of it as far as i'm concerned but i'm not going to have you telling anyone i'm a gd'd liar.

it's you with the problem.

Already solved all my problems and i will be fixing the machine next weekend, either a refurbished board or i will try to dig up exactly what the components are and have someone fix the board. Ill pick the quickest and most importantly the safest way to fix it for the machine that is. It does me no good saving a couple of bucks to burn something else.

Ill post a follow up with receipts of the damage and costs when i do.

Quote Originally Posted by papaharley03 View Post
    Therein lies the rub. Manufacturers are often unwilling to provide schematics and/or other repair information to anyone but their 'certified' repair centers.

As an electronics tech, seeing the pics of that board, it could have been a simple failure, but often it's a case of.. what downstream component sucked so much current through those two devices that made them release their smoke. That's where the repair job can get expensive for a DIY repair.

I'm almost tempted, but I'd want to be sure I can get schematics first.

Papa
    My plasma was a HTP unit. When I contacted them, they did not hesitate to send me a PDF of the schematics. Their customer service/support is excellent actually. I received a follow up call FROM them to see if I had fixed the problem. When I explained what my friend had done AND actually fixed it, he couldn't believe it. I mean, my board was destroyed. When it let the smoke out, it sounded like a .22 went off.

I did not worry about what caused the problem, as it was no mystery (ferrous dust everywhere inside of it). We implemented a newer add on filter for the housing to allow the machine to breathe while reducing airbourne debris from entering.

Miller should have NO problem releaseing the schematics to an owner of their product. If they do, they should get an earfull and lose some business over it. If they were worried about Chinese stealing their technology, they could easily open the machine and reverse engineer it.

Grant
    MM210
    Synchrowave 200DX
    HTP Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    If they were worried about Chinese stealing their technology, they could easily open the machine and reverse engineer it.
    I think they'd be more concerned about getting sued. Some customer who "thinks" they know what they are doing electrocutes themselves and some low life lawyer will convince the family it was the manufacturer's fault.

Sad, but often true in good old sue-happy America.

Papa
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Quote Originally Posted by papaharley03 View Post
    I think they'd be more concerned about getting sued. Some customer who "thinks" they know what they are doing electrocutes themselves and some low life lawyer will convince the family it was the manufacturer's fault.

Sad, but often true in good old sue-happy America.

Papa
    Unfortunately, I whole-heartedly agree with this sad statement!
    MM210
    Synchrowave 200DX
    HTP Plasma

Just curious.... did you ever get rid of your 350DX? Whatever happened? I am looking for something just like it!