Some projects
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Some projects

Some projects

Been lurking here for a while and taking in some ideas and learing some usefull tips. Now with a working camera and new computer here I go. This is my ring roller.

Name:  Ring roller 1.jpg
Views: 5091
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  ring roller 2.jpg
Views: 5082
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  ring roller 3.jpg
Views: 5091
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  ring roller 4.jpg
Views: 5088
Size:  61.7 KB

Re: Some projects

Nice job on the roller
    If you roll a complete ring is it hard to get the ring out of the roller or does the roller come apart to get it out?

It is hard to roll a complete ring, I wish I designed it a bit different. I use it more to put a arch on small square tube, flat or round bar. I did make a complete ring and it became stuck. I had to bend the ring out to get it out of roller. Hind sight is always 20 /20. I can replace the bottom 2 rollers with some wire rope sheaves and the round bar usually 1/2 to 5/8 tracks real well in the roller.

I've had another look at your roller and it would'nt be that hard to modify it a bit so the top is removable to get a complete ring out...
    If you cut the top U shaped piece off flush with the top of the lower C-channel, you could weld some extensions on the legs of the U shaped piece so that the extensions overlap the C-channel, then all you have to do is drill 2 holes thru both pieces and put hitch pins thru the holes to keep the top in place.
    Then all you'd have to do is pull the 2 hitch pins out and remove the top to get your ring out.

Thats if you want to be able to roll complete rings..........

thanks teknition for the feedback. Your right it would not be that hard to modify and I like the idea of making the top piece overlap and the use of hitch pins so its removeable. I think if I am going to cut in to it I will probably make it so the bottom two rollers move up and down and the top roller with the crank stays stationary.

AH HA!!...lurking around...stealing ideas...

way to go!!

..zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

More idea theft, circle cutter for my plasma for 3 to 12 inch circles. Its not perfect but its better than freehand. I used a magnet as the base, some 1/8 flat stock and made the roller wheel out of a washer and bolt.

Name:  circle cutter 2.jpg
Views: 4905
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  plasma circle 1.jpg
Views: 4939
Size:  141.7 KB

My tubing positioners

Name:  tube holders.jpg
Views: 4918
Size:  44.4 KB

Mechanical fingers, real useful for holding small pieces while tacking

Name:  mech fingers 2.jpg
Views: 4901
Size:  114.3 KB

yea I had some yellow paint laying around, easier to see than black while welding.

How exactly do the tubing positioners work? Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BRICKmp5
    thanks teknition for the feedback. Your right it would not be that hard to modify and I like the idea of making the top piece overlap and the use of hitch pins so its removeable. I think if I am going to cut in to it I will probably make it so the bottom two rollers move up and down and the top roller with the crank stays stationary.
    Don't forget to add the power feed while your there

Nice job on the circle jig and tube positioners.

I love the mechanical fingers, very unique idea. I seen them in a previous post by you in the back ground and was wondering what they were. I thought ya might have been building a rather large bird an them were his feet

Keep up the good work and make sure ya post lots of pics

nice work brick. i'm getting ready to sart my own roller, what kind of mateial did you use for the frame work. If I may ask.

Thanks for the complements. I used 1/4 plate for the roller and tig welded it together(ran out of argon). Then mig welded the frame to a 2" reciever. I don't have a mill so I stacked the two side plates and tacked them together. I then drilled all the holes with my drill press and then took them apart and cut them up. I am thinking about reworking the roller, but I've used it more to make arches than complete rings so for now I think I can deal with what I have.

I saw a design on here before with the top roller stationary and the two bottom rollers on a bottle jack. Thats how I would make one if I was starting from scratch.

Behays, The tube positioners adjust with the wing nut at the bottom and can hold tube up to 2". The tube on the right should be notched / fish mouthed and the positioners hold the tubing together so it can be tacked together. They are useful when the third arm thats always absent from the shop is not present to help you out. I made these out of scrap laying around and have seen them in some catalogs for over 20 bucks each.

Name:  tube positioners explained.jpg
Views: 4838
Size:  37.2 KB