It just got tired.....
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

It just got tired.....

Hey guys,
    Went on a mobile job on Wed.(14th) to install a 78 1/4 "L, 4" X 4" X 3/16" sq. tube extension on a large sign for a credit union bank. Had the ext. already welded as per dwg, loaded in the truck, got to location & parked the rig nice & close so it would be easy to install. I tried to start the generator for almost a half hour without success. No spark it would seem as there was fuel coming from the carb & even trying starting fluid(ether) after cleaning the plug & blowing the carb clear of fuel. Yup.....looks like she died. Hour meter showed 1783hrs.

Funny thing, I was looking for a new unit as the last mobile job indicated the gen was tiring on load demand. Doing homework, I found the Generac units to be the best rated & went to Lowes & bought a new one ......8kw(running)/10kw(surge). They gave me a "senior" discount & that kinda paid the tax. I had been looking on Craigslist/classifieds for one with a min. of 7.5kw without success, so I just figured.....buy a new one!

Anyway, got it set up, break in run, & tested with my MIG, Plasma, & Stick welders.......SWEET! Smooth, no fluctuations, & I could tell by the sound that it wasn't laboring at all. Luckily, it fit in the same spot as the old one, although I have to add an exhaust tube thru the floor to vent the fumes. Did the job this morning in a snap.

I can't complain as I paid only $300 for the old unit 5yrs ago(was new with only 1hr on it), & it gave me superb service & paid for itself many times over. Anyone looking to setup a generator powered mobile unit, look at the Generac. You won't be disappointed. Here's a couple pics.....

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Complete Welding/Machine/Fab. Shop
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

"A man's word is his honor...without honor there is nothing."
    "Words are like bullets.... Once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

Re: It just got tired.....

I've seen and looked at that unit, off-n-on for a while now.

Sometimes I've seen the labels saying 8k-10k surge and other times 8k-12k surge. Now back to 8k-10K surge.

Same model number.

Also, the oil drain 'extension tube' was (is?) in a stupid location and would just dump the oil right into the cross-rail. Or it was right up against the cross-rail (Hmmm, vibrating engine rubbing a metal extension piece up against the stationary cross-rail. Just not right IMNSHO).

And it was either that unit/model (more than one looked at over the last couple of years) or a similarly rated unit at HomeDepot that had some of the lines (gas line, electric lines, both) waaaay to tight and/or touching up against frame parts as well (vibrating engine shaking lines up against stationary frame, not so good).

Glad to hear it's working out for you and you were able to quickly get back up and running (after dropping ~$1300 IIRC, ouch!)
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

I would not consider that old gennie dead and gone for just a lack of spark. That should be fairly easy to fix, and you would then have a "back-up". Does it have a "low oil" switch? Many generators do, and it will open the ignition circuit if the oil is low. Were you parked at an angle? This may have made the switch think that the oil was low.

Even if you can't find the problem, there should be someone near you that could have it running again in a 1/2 hour or so. It'll make a good spare.

Charley
    Miller MM252
    Miller Bobcat 225NT
    Miller DialArc HF / DIY Cooler
    2 Victor O/A Torchsets
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Saw
    Milwaukee Dry Cut "Chop" Saw
    5 Ton Wallace Gantry
    Various Grinders, Benders, etc.

+1 on getting it fixed, for the money you'll put into fixing it you will get all of that back when you can sell it as working. keep it as a spare etc, generator engines are no different than riding/push mower industrial type engines and the parts are pretty common and cheap at a small engine shop. its your tool, but it would kill me to see you scrap it without even an estimate I have gotten riding mowers that all was needed was new plug wire or magneto and it was like new again. they are worth scrap value not running so you could maybe get it running and get 1/3 or more of the purchase price of the new one back again. good luck and hope you enjoy the new one it looks sweet.

Hey guys,
    The fellow who owns the sign shop that I weld for asked me how much I would take for it as he needed to upgrade to a higher output. His bucket van has a 3kw on the rear platform & he said it wasn't enough at times. I said, $200, & he bought it & said he would get it serviced. I feel getting $200 was fair to both of us as I only paid $300, got 6yrs use, & he gives me a lot of work......we both made out. I just don't have any more xtra room to keep spares of equipment. Both the old gen & the new one are brushless & I feel those have a much better lifespan & definitely a smoother output. I'm quite satisfied with both transactions buying new & selling old.

Denny
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

"Words are like bullets.... Once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey guys,
    The fellow who owns the sign shop that I weld for asked me how much I would take for it as he needed to upgrade to a higher output. His bucket van has a 3kw on the rear platform & he said it wasn't enough at times. I said, $200, & he bought it & said he would get it serviced. I feel getting $200 was fair to both of us as I only paid $300, got 6yrs use, & he gives me a lot of work......we both made out. I just don't have any more xtra room to keep spares of equipment. Both the old gen & the new one are brushless & I feel those have a much better lifespan & definitely a smoother output. I'm quite satisfied with both transactions buying new & selling old.

Denny
    if you are happy that is all that matters sounds like a good deal for all parties involved.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

use to be Lake Elsinore, Ca now Clarksville Tn

I would like to know what the new one will run for you, I had to get rid on my 302g but will need to replace it with a geny set. However I am not sure what I could power with it.
    Thanks

Ron

How loud is it? some of these are really noisy compared to lke an RV Onan generator or something. What is the rated amperage at 220V?
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Padilla View Post
    I would like to know what the new one will run for you, I had to get rid on my 302g but will need to replace it with a geny set. However I am not sure what I could power with it.
    Thanks

Ron
    i'm interested in this as well.

When sizing a generator, 2 horsepower for every 1000 watts. The fancy wattages some manufacturers state on their units is a mystery. This is an unbreakable rule! 2 horsepower per 1000watts of electricity! Bob

Some of the big small engine manufacturers settled a class action lawsuit because they had been lying about how many hp their engines put out...
    You just can't trust anyone anymore....
    Weldandpower Lincoln 225 AC,DC with Briggs 16hp gas engine.
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Hey guys,
    This gen powers everything on my mobile unit with ease. The most max input unit is my plasma cutter at 27A. All the welders draw 24A or less. I can run the compressor & anything else at the same time. When on the jobsite on Fri., one of the guys was running my grinder while I was welding.....no issue at all. The gen puts out a constant/steady 240v & the 220 outlet is 30A & the 110v outlets are 20A.

Surprisingly, this unit is twice as quiet as my older unit & has a much larger muffler. Makes less noise than a lawnmower. I like it. This gen has a 410cc/16hp OHV engine w/elec. start. Hope this helps you look at one if you are in the market.

Denny
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

Quote Originally Posted by rhunt View Post
    When sizing a generator, 2 horsepower for every 1000 watts. The fancy wattages some manufacturers state on their units is a mystery. This is an unbreakable rule! 2 horsepower per 1000watts of electricity! Bob
    Looks like you are right on the money with that as Yorkiepap says its got a 16 hp BS so that would be 8k watts
    Last edited by yorkiepap; 09-20-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

I knowyou mentioned it before but could you give a run down of whay you carry in your mobile shop or a link to your mobile shop. I have searched, but I am not at the moment finding where that thread went.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    I knowyou mentioned it before but could you give a run down of whay you carry in your mobile shop or a link to your mobile shop. I have searched, but I am not at the moment finding where that thread went.
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=35598
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

That Generac is one noisy beast! Certainly much louder than an Onan diesel 1800rpm unit that you might find in an RV.

There are actually two models:

The XP8000E is rated at 8kw continuous and 12kw surge, and it has some internal circuitry to make it kinder to electronics and other sensitive appliances. Lowes used to sell this model, but now they sell the XG8000E.

The XG8000E has the same engine and generator as it more expensive "XP" cousin, but does not have the added protection circuitry. This is probably why it's surge rating is a little less.

Hey Scott Young,
    Here are some pics of what I carry on my mobile unit. I also have a large toolbox on my truck with large wrenches, sockets, & elec. impact driver for the construction sites I go to. Hope these will give you some ideas......

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Mobile Unit
    Finally retired

*Moderator*

That is great thanks YP