Pictures of Aluminum welded to Steel - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

View Poll Results: Which project do you want to see built with aluminum welded to steel transitions?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aluminum Snow Plow - Welding Machine

6 35.29%
  • Steel BBQ w/ Al stand - Thors Hammer

4 23.53%
  • Artwork - Tiger 305

2 11.76%
  • Rail gun - SRO1911

6 35.29%
  • Pumpkin Chucker - Thors Hammer (again)

3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Pictures of Aluminum welded to Steel

I've come up with one more project.

After watching punkin chunkin with the kids over the thanksgiving weekend. My 9 yr old step son indicated that he wanted to do it. shortly there after one of the guys on here got me a link to a chunk in my area, so now the build is on.

we'll be building a very unique trebuchet that will have 450* of rotation in the throwing arm. and in discussion with a couple of buddies who are going to join the team, we discussed using Ali for the throwing arm, and possibly the CW arm. thus reducing our rotating mass. The axle that will be connecting the arms will be steel, and thats where the clad comes in. because I want to be able to weld the arms to the axle. At most would only need 2 4"x4" squares of the clading, but still a fun use for it.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

the only reasonable thing to do with this stuff it's c to cut it in small pieces, drill small hole, and make lots &lots of key-chains , then send one my way :P
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    www.becmotors.nl
    yup, I quit welding.. joined welder anonymous

For the poll, I will take write in votes as well (just add a comment). Or we can start a second poll with other options. I tried to pick a broad range of choices. Too bad I could only have 5 choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CladMan View Post
    For the poll, I will take write in votes as well (just add a comment). Or we can start a second poll with other options. I tried to pick a broad range of choices. Too bad I could only have 5 choices.
    I don't think I should write any more in. I'm seriously pulling for the chunker though.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210

I'm suprised how few votes we've seen...maybe I should just make up little samples so people can win bar bets and no one really wants to see something built with the transitions...**sigh**

Just like any other thread. if, after your first read, you're not interested, you generally don't go back.

This thread fits me perfectly. because, like Jamie from Mythbusters, I to enjoy using tools and materials in a manner in which they were never intended.

Hobart Handler 210

Sorry Cladman, I haven't been back in awhile because the season kicks my a$$ at work. I opted for the bbq, high heat and elements seem to rust them out prematurely so this seems like a good test bed for this type of material. If you do end up sampling, I am interested and would pay for s/h.
    AC-180 Lincolnwelder circa '50's

Make up some key chain fobs. You could probably sell a few on here. I'd buy one!

As a side note: One of the co-owners of the first shop I worked at had welded, with a Miller 135, solid .03, S-6 wire, mild steel "L" brackets to an aluminum rim to use as a bending jig for steel round rod. We used it a lot and it never broke( it was bolted to the bending table hence the need for the "L" brackets.) I know, I'd call bull****e too if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, but I did. Damnedest thing. We figured since she didn't know better normal rules of the universe didn't apply.........
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

so I have a project building a car on a low budget. the original engine is an old sidevalve that just will not run and the parts are too expensive. the only cheap motor I could find is a Pinto motor. now to find a pinto trans is tough, plus there is no room for that combination. it seems the only way to make it fit is to use the original trans, which is steel. I found a broken bell housing for the pinto and I can cut it off. I have a steel shim to match up to the trans and leave me room to match the aluminum bellhousing. it would be great to weld the bellhousing to one of your pieces and also weld to the steel shim. the old motor had the bell housing as part of the block. and , yes, the old trans will fit into the splines of the pinto clutch plate. this thread is old, but I am hoping that someone will still see this. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by !958anglia View Post
    so I have a project building a car on a low budget. the original engine is an old sidevalve that just will not run and the parts are too expensive. the only cheap motor I could find is a Pinto motor. now to find a pinto trans is tough, plus there is no room for that combination. it seems the only way to make it fit is to use the original trans, which is steel. I found a broken bell housing for the pinto and I can cut it off. I have a steel shim to match up to the trans and leave me room to match the aluminum bellhousing. it would be great to weld the bellhousing to one of your pieces and also weld to the steel shim. the old motor had the bell housing as part of the block. and , yes, the old trans will fit into the splines of the pinto clutch plate. this thread is old, but I am hoping that someone will still see this. thank you.
    Explosion welding.

Might ding up your bellhousing, though.

Heh heh... pinto's were tough then again it might self-weld... since we are talking about pinto's and explosions

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Heh heh... pinto's were tough then again it might self-weld... since we are talking about pinto's and explosions

if the pinto gets hit from the rear, then explosion welding might happen!!!

who does explosion welding???

they're no longer here to answer

https://triclad.com/triclad-aluminiu...rine-industry/