Forklift mast repair? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Forklift mast repair?

Speaking of forklifts. I went by a scrap yard last week and there were at least a half dozen complete, newer (<10 yrs) Toyota forklifts on the mountain awaiting the shears.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

I know you sent the job away but just for the record. The critical piece is not the mast. It is the pin. As you can see the weld tore free of the pin but the weld stayed on the mast. It looks to me like it might be a forged pin. Not sure though. A couple of NDT tests on the pin would get you a good idea of what it is. I would guess it is something in the order of 1040 or 1045. The preheating would have probably taken care of the problem. 1045 you want in the area of 400 - 500 preheat. It was not a money maker anyway so it is just as well that you passed.

agreed, the weld tied to the mast nicely. Not the pin... at all.
    It actually seems that the pin and been broke free for a while, only about 1/2" holding it on... But its someone else problem now.
    and ill sleep good tonight!
    Its nice to have a group of guys who have been in my shoes willing to help. Just being in business less than a year, its hard to say no. Thanks guys
    - Christian M.
    C3 Welding & Fabrication
    - CNC Plasma Cutting
    -Mobile Welding
    -Custom welding and fab
    www.c3welding.com

You did the right thing by turning that job down. I did not want to make a long winded post, sometimes it's best to turn certain jobs away. It will hurt way less in the beginning than it will in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Speaking of forklifts. I went by a scrap yard last week and there were at least a half dozen complete, newer (<10 yrs) Toyota forklifts on the mountain awaiting the shears.
    Meanwhile, those of us with small businesses are using our 30- or 40-year-old machines and can only dream of buying something that new. I know, scrapyards get some wild stuff. My local one is one of my customers, and I've gotten a few deals from them.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

I never knew this but was talking today and was told that they are quite secretive about the makeup of masts and forks. Who knew!

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    The 6010 will burn in deeper and it's a lot stronger than 7018 in impact situations. It wouldn't sheer off like 7018 or er70s6 mig.

https://www.airgas.com/p/LINED010278
    Very wrong statement. The 6010, cellulose sodium, rods have a very low impact scores, whereas 7018 is much higher. This is exactly why the welds were failing when I tested them, on the rebar chicken ladders I used to weld for the steel mills. I had to use 7018 or another low hydrogen electrode, like MIG hardwire ER70S-6.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200; The 6010 will burn in deeper and it's a lot stronger than 7018 in impact situations.
    [url
    https://www.airgas.com/p/LINED010278[/url]
    definitely wrong information here. Use lo-hi for dynamically loaded weldments.
    Last edited by Blackslacks; 08-24-2016 at 10:58 PM.
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)
    tip cleaners