Best boots for a new female welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best boots for a new female welder?

Hi! I am in search of affordable and durable welding boots. I started my first stick/arc class on Monday. Anyone have any suggestions for a good pair of female welding boots?

Re: Best boots for a new female welder?

I suggest you find a comfortable pair of slip on boots. That way you don’t have to replace the laces when they burn up. I wore Redwing Pecos for years.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I suggest you find a comfortable pair of slip on boots. That way you don’t have to replace the laces when they burn up. I wore Redwing Pecos for years.
    Probably the same pair for years.
    Mine that I still wear are about 6 years old and they are still together...the soul is getting thin but they hold up forever

@ nikki - have donned tons of boot styles (combat, jump, laced, engineer) over the years for heavy-work, both offshore and on-land. Believe me when I tell you that the RedWings Pecos are the most comfortable, durable, and affordable fabrication/welding boot on the market, IMPO. SlipOns. Excellent treads. Mine are steel-toed, not sure if steel-toed are required. Even when not welding, these are my GoTo slips. Definetly go to a store and try on a pair, since all shoe/boot manufacturers are sized differently. Staying the obvious, as you know, just ensure your boots fit perfectly for you.

RedWing Pecos: Made in USA, laces-less, fire friendly, and easy to keep clean. A quick swipe of brown polish over her and you're ready to disco. :cool
    Last edited by ManoKai; 08-24-2016 at 07:21 AM.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

I've been wearing a pair of these for 2 years. Most comfortable, longest wearing boot I've owned. They're sold in Redwings stores and seem to be a good quality boot, despite being imported from China. Brand is Irish Setter, Marshall 11 inch steel toed boot.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/...rown-red-wp-st

No laces is a big plus if you're welding.

Another piece of advice, I steer away from waterproof boots, unless you genuinely need them on the job. Waterproofing keeps sweat in, as well as water out. This is not good because you'll tend towards athletes foot in the summer, and cold, wet feet in the winter. I have some waterproof boots, but I buy them with laces. That way I can unlace them whenever I'm not working for better ventilation.

Whatever shoes you buy, take care of your feet. If you can't walk or stand, you can't work.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Definitely pull-on, definitely steel toed and don't tuck your pant legs inside so sparks, hot slag and molten metal can fall in.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

OH, and for extra long lasting comfort, I suggest quality cushioned inserts.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Red Wing are the gold standard for work boots, made in the USA and made very well. Irish Setter is owned by Red Wing and imported from China, not quite the same quality but still very good and significantly less expensive.

Justin makes a steel toe cowboy boot for women for a little over $100 that doesn't look to bad
    Miller 180,Esab 300I TIG Lincoln Stick [1950's} Victor Torches, Dewalt chop saw, Enco 9x48 Mill, 48x60 home shop with Gantry crane and Pit.

These boots look really sweet. They have the CSA safety standards as well. Get these.
    https://www.tigaworkwear.com/collections/all
    You might ask their customer service if they have or know of a 3rd party Metatarsal Guard that you can lace up.

She is a women, links to mens boots don't help.
    Last edited by Jimmy_pop; 08-24-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
    Red Wing are the gold standard for work boots, made in the USA and made very well. Irish Setter is owned by Red Wing and imported from China, not quite the same quality but still very good and significantly less expensive.
    Isn't redwing making some of there boots in China now too?
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 08-24-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

I like these but I am more in a foundry setting than welding. They seem to last pretty good and I am hard on boots.
    http://www.forgeshieldshoes.com/Prod...ductCode=26868
    ---Meltedmetal

In keeping with my new tbonecwik honorary member name, I'll play *that guy* on this thread and go the other direction. Most welding classes have you sitting on a stool or at most standing around. You can show up to class in regular shoes, throw on your boots for an hour or three, then put your regular shoes on to go about your day. So if it were me I'd march right down to the closest shoe store, start in the cheapest women's leather work boots, and go up in price 'til I found steel toes. If they fit halfway reasonably, I'd buy 'em and not spend a penny more. Wouldn't care what brand, whether they had laces, etc. I weld a lot and might burn through my laces once a year. I bet for the purpose of taking a class that you'd be fine with lace-ups. And if money was a real issue I'd even skip the steel toes, and just be careful with my feet.

My thinking is that you don't know yet if this is something you want to do long-term, so why waste the $$ on super-good footwear at the outset? You don't weld with your feet. They just need to walk maybe a max of 0.1 mile a day, just around in your class. If you have extra $$, spend it on a leather jacket that fits you well, good quality leather welding gloves that are your size and appropriate for the process you're using, a good welding cap, and a 3M 7500 series respirator with the appropriate 2091 / 2291 / etc filters.

Edit To Add that the worst thing I did with my feet when I was taking my first welding class as a green student at VA Tech, wouldn't have been fixed by any quality of shoe. We had 5 gallon buckets of water in each booth which were kept full of water so we wouldn't have to walk back and forth to cool our steel. So at the end of class I somehow managed to step off my stool, hood still down, right into the bucket of water with my right foot. Near-boiling water rolled right in over the top of my boot. That was not cool, literally or figuratively. Boots can't fix stupid.
    Last edited by tbone550; 08-24-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

What I did with my new Pecos. I would buy them 1/2 to 1 size too small. Set them in the bath tub, fill them with hot water. When they got nice and soft, I would wear them until they dried. Then I had a custom fit pair of work boots!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I'm really happy with my Redwing Pecos boots, pair I've got now are 5 years old and about ready to be replaced. I also shook things up a few years ago and tried Throgood boots. I've got a pair of lace ups and slip ons. I'm very pleased with those as well. If you do stay in the welding trade, look up Throgood. I believe they offer a lady's line of boots now.

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Isn't referring making some of there boots in China now too?

They are and have been for sometime now.

I have to agree with tbone, welding boots for a newbie, lady or not, need to fit and be low cost. When you wear them out or they get uncomfortable then buy a much better pair. If you find you don't care for welding you haven't wasted a lot of money on shoes you won't wear again.

The most important thing is to find a store with lots of sizes and brands and try them on. My favorite store advertises 20,000 pairs. Everything from the high dollar linesmans work boots like Wesco to large stocks of Redwings and Justins and down to low priced Chinese imports. Exotic skin cowboy boots are in the back. All unboxed and lined up by size and type so you can try them on yourself. No waiting for someone to go in back to hunt for a boot a half size larger or smaller, you just move down the shelf. Until you try them most can't imagine how much shoe sizes vary between manufacturers, styles, and even supposedly the same shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    Probably the same pair for years.
    Mine that I still wear are about 6 years old and they are still together...the soul is getting thin but they hold up forever
    Redwing will resole the boots. Not sure cost now but it was $75.00 a couple years ago for me.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    In keeping with my new tbonecwik honorary member name, I'll play *that guy* on this thread and go the other direction. Most welding classes have you sitting on a stool or at most standing around. You can show up to class in regular shoes, throw on your boots for an hour or three, then put your regular shoes on to go about your day. So if it were me I'd march right down to the closest shoe store, start in the cheapest women's leather work boots, and go up in price 'til I found steel toes. If they fit halfway reasonably, I'd buy 'em and not spend a penny more. Wouldn't care what brand, whether they had laces, etc. I weld a lot and might burn through my laces once a year. I bet for the purpose of taking a class that you'd be fine with lace-ups. And if money was a real issue I'd even skip the steel toes, and just be careful with my feet.
    OK, for a first class when you're not sure you're going to stick with this as a career choice, I agree. But if you stay with welding your second pair should be the best boots you can afford.

I'll give you my cheap boot story. 2nd job after learning to weld. The company offered to buy steel toed boots for all new hires, because they required steel toed boots with a metatarsal guard. I bought the cheapest pair in the store that fit. The company reimbursement just covered the cost. I was happy...at first. 2 weeks into a hot, sweaty job in a papermill, my bargain boots rubbed a blister on the top of one of my toes. I gritted it out and worked my 10 hour day. And the next day. The third day I was at the doctor's office with a staph infection that started at the burst blister, and had my foot swollen up so big I couldn't get a shoe on that foot. 3 days of soaking my foot, taking antibiotics, and sitting on the couch; I was back at work. I remember sweating bullets because it was hot and I thought the foreman was going to can me for being out of work for 3 days. Doctor's paperwork saved my job. I sneaked around with a non-steel toed pair of boots that fit until payday. Then I bought a new pair that fit right. The free cheap boots went out with the trash...
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    OK, for a first class when you're not sure you're going to stick with this as a career choice, I agree. But if you stay with welding your second pair should be the best boots you can afford.....
    Exactly Tony. Boots are the absolute last thing I would ever cheap out on. Ever. RedWings Pecos......only come in Men's sizes....but you can easily adopt them for a Women.....and list for $120-130.

BuyOnce-CryOne. Especially in footwear that you count on daily.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

I think women should wear boots all the time!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

@ CEP - and here we go bro. That's why when our travels take us to the great state of TX and deep into the bayous of LA, we never complain. Classy bright wahines in cowboy boots. Tack on 'iron' in their hands and it's aces bro. Aces.

Agreed that if a person who's a new welder on the job is asking about footwear, they need to buy the right stuff. I wear Redwings also, but mine are lace-ups. But for a person who's tight on money and just taking an intro to welding class, I wouldn't recommend going whole hog. Limited resources mean compromises, and I'd sooner compromise on footwear than jacket, gloves, respirator, etc for educational purposes. Usually what's offered by the school is beat-up, the wrong size, cheaply constructed so as to inhibit movement, or some combination of all three. Just my opinion, worth what you paid.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

As stated just get a work boot before investing in real boots. I would suggest a PLAIN TOE boot , NO THREADS on the top by the toe only at the sole. YOU WILL burn the stitching .

Boots?

what boots?

Name:  726d29e0c68cd9cef6f6781aac49f180.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  13.3 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.