Trailer building.......... - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Trailer building..........

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    So painting over milscale is a big no no ?
    PJ trailer doesn’t seem to care! Couple months ago I had my dump trailer sand blasted, and Line-X.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

You should build your own. It's just some thing you need to know about any way. You won't save much money unless you have some of the material scrounged up already. It will be how you want it and built to your quality standards. That matters to me. I've built every trailer I've ever owned and probably 50 or so for other people. There is nothing tricky about it, just copy a trailer that you like and know that works well.

Name:  trailer underside.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  29.4 KB
    Name:  trailer warp.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  trailer warp3.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  trailer 2 bead.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  58.8 KB
    Name:  trailer deck bead.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  64.3 KB

I would agree with Bob. Build your own trailer if you have the time. I needed one right away and didn't have time to build it. I haven't even had time to redo the floor. The welds are spaced 12-14" apart on the top seams and they are approximately 2" long. The bottom side floor plate attached to the channel iron frame are 18-20" apart and the welds are about 3-4" long. I'm going to grind these plates off and weld 3/16" plate and add about 6 more channel iron beams to the floor. It's going to add about 1000 lbs to the trailer but that's ok. It weighs 3500 lbs so 4500 lbs would still leave me 10,500 capacity. That's about the heaviest thing I ever hauled anyway.
    Last edited by 69sa200; 08-21-2016 at 10:29 PM.

It's hard to find a quality small trailer. Equipment trailers, yes there are great ones available. For a small, I still like extra heavy duty, which means I will build it myself.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

A friend gave me an old channel frame boat tlr less the axle. I narrowed and shortened it to carry my Hobart G-213 and torch cart. Later i mounted an air compressor powered off the Wisconsin engine and an air tank. I had spindles from a bent boat tlr axle and incorporated them into a 1 1/2" sq tube axle. Bought the springs and hardware. So very little dollars I have a special built tlr. Fexal, you might keep an eye out for old boat tlrs to start your project on the cheap instead of buying all new iron. Stay away from the ones that have seen a lot of salt water.
    On another note I don't understand why some feel they must have a steel diamond plate deck on a tlr. Wood decks IMO are more durable and if given a good annual dose of linseed oil will last a long time. If a board gets broke it's easy enough to replace the broken section.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

How big of a trailer are you wanting to haul the BC on? One just big enough for it plus a few other items, or one big enough to haul it and most of the material for a good sized project? I have a small one for mine, that carries the torch bottles and a storage box for rods, grinder wheels and other miscellaneous items. It's small/light enough to tow it with a riding mower, so you could tow a similar sized one with your Prius if you still have it. There is enough room on either side of the BC to carry additional items if needed. It also does not take up much space to store it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Dang, bistineau, your tlr's smaller than mine!!Attachment 1492871Attachment 1492881
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Fexal I would agree with others on here if it something specific you want build it yourself, you won't regret it. Yes you will have a few more dollars in it that a ready bout one but you will have exactly what you want. For painting over mill scale and light rust that is standard practice among most trailer builders. I worked for a local trailer shop right out of high school for a second job and the painted over and welded over rust and mill scale on everyone they built. Everything was bare minimum on material and welds too, I guess people are not willing to pay for something that will last.

I have done a handfull.of repairs on them to from new weld on couplers to expanded metal rear gates. The only good thing about the mass production being cheap and breaking often is it put a few dollars here and there in my pocket. I am sure that some where out there cares about the details of what they make but I haven't seen it yet.
    Ranger 250 thick stuff
    Hobart Handler 140 not thick stuff
    the pane and oxy setup

Trailers fall into that vast bucket of "commodity" manufactured products. It is physically impossible to build one cheaper than you can buy it - if you are talking about a standard design. You can go price out the steel, and even that will cost more than you can buy one for, off-the-rack, ready to roll. This is a common issue with wood splitters too. Their economies of scale are so far beyond any individual that you can't touch it.

But cost isn't everything. At least not always.

If you are doing it to save money, you need to have a source for free steel, because that is the only way you will spend less after you buy axles, tires, brakes, hitch parts, wiring/lights, etc.

If you want/need something custom - and having the skills to do so will be assumed here - then building your own makes sense. If you hate the idea of spending good money on a crappily made trailer and want something solid that will last a lifetime, then building your own makes sense. But go read the trailer build book posted earlier. I have them. Key point they make is heavier is not necessarily better, just heavier. You can easily make a trailer so heavy you can't use it for much. The experienced guys here (like Fex) will get that.

That is the key background on the decision. And of course there is always the "I just want to". If that is the case, go ahead, but don't fool yourself - it WILL cost more than buying one, but I'm guessing you are OK with that if you have gotten to this point and that is the way you feel.

My $0.02
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    It's hard to find a quality small trailer. Equipment trailers, yes there are great ones available. For a small, I still like extra heavy duty, which means I will build it myself.
    That's a good point. My 4x8 trailer (that I built in '94) is very handy and I often load 3500 lbs on it.

Home Depot forklift reaches far enough forward to load pallets on it.

The sand/gravel yard said it's very uncommon for them to load a yard of material on a small trailer - usually folds them up so they won't do it. But they do for mine

I have big trailers too, but pull my little one most often.

Name:  20160809_085116.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  93.7 KB
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 08-23-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Just do it .

I gave Smartdave a whole bunch of c channel and you should see what he came up with and all I did was suggest different ways on how to do things.
    Strong..
    Straight...
    Towes like a dream!

Maybe I can get him to post it up...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

My opinion is that unless you find the EXACT trailer that you want, I would always build one. Here is the one that I built. I built exactly what I wanted and needed. And I got the joy of actually building something as well. The trailer now has thousands of miles on it

Trailer building..........

Forgot the pics

And props to Zap for donating the steel and acting as my QC guy

Last edited by Smartdave; 08-23-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Name:  bobcat skidsteer.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  65.9 KB

I think he was talking about a Bobcat skid steer not a Miller Bobcat welder. Because of the way he phrased the question. He called it the "machine" and it's tools.
    ("I'm leaning towards doing it myself and making it custom to fit the machine and tools")
    I think the "tools" are the attachments like the bucket, forks, post hole auger. I think he would have called it the welder if it was a Miller Bobcat. I never understood why Miller would copy the name Bobcat from Ingersoll Rand. All of my friends refer to their skid steer as "the Bobcat".
    Last edited by 69sa200; 08-23-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    Name:  bobcat skidsteer.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  65.9 KB

I think he was talking about a Bobcat skid steer not a Miller Bobcat welder. Because of the way he phrased the question. He called it the "machine" and it's tools. Meaning the attachments like the bucket, forks post hole auger. I think he would have called it the welder if it was a Miller Bobcat. I never understood why Miller would copy the name Bobcat from Ingersoll Rand. All of my friends refer to their skid steer as "the Bobcat". Even if they are made by John Deere, Cat, Case, or New Holland.
    Nope.
    Welder.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    I think he was talking about a Bobcat skid steer not a Miller Bobcat welder. Because of the way he phrased the question. He called it the "machine" and it's tools. Meaning the attachments like the bucket, forks post hole auger. I think he would have called it the welder if it was a Miller Bobcat.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...cat&highlight=

I've built a dozen or so. Typically they've been made of salvaged steel. they range from wood splitters, generator trailers, welder trailers, log haulers, snowmobile haulers, dump trailers, countless farm trailers. Home made dumpers of oil tanks, (easy) .

My favorite axles are old truck front axles. With drop axle, there is room for springs without the floor being 5' high. You can include surge brakes. A 10 ton front axle makes a great sap trailer.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Might look cheap, but there is a ton of excellent material in these two books.

Math and general theory are included.

Attachment 1491491
    Gawd Amighty I have one of those, the green one I think. Talk about a real load of crapola

There was one section on how to figure load distribution, or axle placement, forget which. WOW Near need a PHD in math to do it.

My advice to anyone caring to listen.......use the book to put under the short leg on your desk

All you need is a good hydraulic tongue scale, and the known weight of the trailer, to figure out where your axles should be. An evenly distributed load will transfer to the tow vehicle at the same ratio as the tongue-to-trailer weight ratio. Pretty simple stuff.

IMHO of course
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Gawd Amighty I have one of those, the green one I think. Talk about a real load of crapola

There was one section on how to figure load distribution, or axle placement, forget which. WOW Near need a PHD in math to do it.

My advice to anyone caring to listen.......use the book to put under the short leg on your desk

All you need is a good hydraulic tongue scale, and the known weight of the trailer, to figure out where your axles should be. An evenly distributed load will transfer to the tow vehicle at the same ratio as the tongue-to-trailer weight ratio. Pretty simple stuff.

IMHO of course
    Don't know why you would say that about good quality background information.

I had no problems with the math when I bought the books many years ago and only had a below average high school education at the time.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Don't know why you would say that about good quality background information.

I had no problems with the math when I bought the books many years ago and only had a below average high school education at the time.
    Name:  book2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  book1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  33.9 KB

I must have been "belower" than average Seems a bit out of my league. I just punch it up on BeamBoy, and I'm good

(Scott..I was on my way to bed, but just had to find the book, and put up a pic)
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

I supose a scale would be ok to determine axle placement if you were only going to haul one thing and only behind one vehicle. But to get the most out of a trailer you need a lot of info and you need to adjust axle placement based on many different factors. Except in the case of a specialized trailer, a scale would be mostly useless.

Jon
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

I'm convinced........

I'll be working on my design now.......

As soon as I sale some Dominoes I'll have money to buy material.......
    Precision TIG 185 and MP 210
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 42
    O/A tanks.... 2 Argon tanks...... 2 C25 Tanks
    Facebook...... F2 Metal Works
    ETSY....... https://www.etsy.com/shop/F2MetalWorks
    F2MetalWorks.com....... http://www.f2metalworks.com/

If you were close I would give it to you.

But I am not shipping anything.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

How much tongue weight on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Fexal View Post
    I'll be working on my design now.......
    What dimensions are you thinking roughly?
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"