How to use a cutting torch - Page 7
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: How to use a cutting torch

Found this book dated 1955-60 on fleabay, interesting reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Longevity 160sx
    Lincoln 140 mig
    lincoln magnum spoolgun
    Victor torch and regulators

I've been playing around with youtube enhancements and managed to enhance my Adjusting a cutting torch and other tips a little videos slightly.

I also joined the two parts back together now that youtube will allow me to post a video that long.

Based on the number of views less than 1/10 of the viewers of the first segment view the second. While there's nothing ground breaking the second segment I do cover a few tips in it while demonstrating what can be done with a small cutting tip.

Anyway here's the slightly better version if anybody wants to watch it.

Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Irish,

I have no idea how I missed this thread, but thank you for taking the time to post the videos.

Question: when you were talking about a 3/4" standoff, I'm guessing that was to the tip? What does that generally work out to from the pre-heat cone tips, as that's what I'm usually using as my guide as to holdoff.

I thought I was competent with a cutting torch, but you've really pointed out some subtleties that will prompt me to try to raise my game. Your comments about oxygen pressures and cutting speeds are really helpful.

Again, many thanks.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ciscotex View Post
    Irish,

I have no idea how I missed this thread, but thank you for taking the time to post the videos.

Question: when you were talking about a 3/4" standoff, I'm guessing that was to the tip? What does that generally work out to from the pre-heat cone tips, as that's what I'm usually using as my guide as to holdoff.

I thought I was competent with a cutting torch, but you've really pointed out some subtleties that will prompt me to try to raise my game. Your comments about oxygen pressures and cutting speeds are really helpful.

Again, many thanks.

Paul
    You're Welcome.

I understand about the cone tips. That's what I generally use myself but that can be hard for some to understand.

As a general rule I keep a minimum of 1/8" and closer to 3/16" or even 1/4" standoff from the cones in the flame depending on what I'm doing. Running much closer than that risks getting stuff back up in the tip fairly quickly.

This can change depending on how much preheat you have dialed in. A heavy preheat has long cones while a light preheat has short cones. You never really want the cones to touch the work. That's actually a cooler part of the flame so they need to be away from the work at least a little bit.

You never stop learning in my experience. I freely admit that I learn from these threads while I'm trying to pass on what I've learned.

I've got a new camera on its way along with some filters to try out. I'm hoping it'll help me improve these videos.
    Last edited by irish fixit; 04-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Irish,

Thanks for the videos. I had picked up a small victor set a few months back and after seeing your videos pulled it out and used it to cut some 1/4" for a personal project I was working on. turned out pretty good. Need a lot of practic, but not bad for someone who hadn't touched a torch in 40 years.
    HH 187
    Lincoln 225AC
    Everlast 160ST

Quote Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
    Irish,

Thanks for the videos. I had picked up a small victor set a few months back and after seeing your videos pulled it out and used it to cut some 1/4" for a personal project I was working on. turned out pretty good. Need a lot of practic, but not bad for someone who hadn't touched a torch in 40 years.
    Practice makes perfect! keep working at it welding makes you smarter

I will throw in my 2 cents, here is me cutting some 3/4" plate with propylene as fuel gas, I could have bumped the oxy pressure up, but it cut just fine the way it was

Cut came out pretty good
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

The video was really good. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Pic of the style torch he's using. Fairly plentiful on Ebay, and OADoctors site has seal kits if I recall correctly.
    Can someone tell me the brand / size of this handle. I need an upgrade. Thanks

Sorry for the late response. I missed this one.

It's a Purox Style torch. Originally made by Purox they where later bought out by Linde then Union Carbide. Now days they're made by Esab. Sometimes you'll find them with Oxweld on them since Esab has the rights to that brand as well (actually the torch in the vids has Oxweld one it). Oxweld was a different type of torch but they've blurred the lines in recent years. The handle is a W-300 and the cutting attachment is a CW-300. However even that can be different depending on when it was made.

Let me know if you need any more help.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Does a gantry torch count.....
    Production cut on some 2" plate oxygen and natural gas with a # 6 tip.

A little slag spray for me when it's spraying means it ain't sticking.
    Ranger 250 thick stuff
    Hobart Handler 140 not thick stuff
    the pane and oxy setup

Yeah it counts. I've got some like that myself. I've never gotten around to uploading them though. But I'm in the process of uploading the movies for the first three that I did last year. But it'll be some time tomorrow before they finish loading and it may take me a few days to get them edited (I don't think anybody wants to spend 15minutes watching a torch slowly go around a pattern).

They're 2 5/8" plate.

Name:  hook1.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  83.7 KBName:  hook2.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  73.6 KBName:  hook3.jpg
Size:  79.3 KB

This one I just got through doing these last week. It's 1 5/8" plate with two 1/2" plates added.
    Name:  hook4.jpg
Size:  62.0 KB

I did several like these last year. They're much smaller and lighter. I just used the Ellis bandsaw and drill press on them.

Name:  hook5.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  72.6 KB
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Yes sir Mr. Irish that is some good looking patterning. I really enjoy torch cutting heavey plate 1.5"-3.5", all of wich is just cutting to length or divide cutting usually 96" or 120" wide. To me it's like a art form always trying to get that perfect cut with nothing but the thin papery slag stuck to the faces that will just about sweep off. I enjoyed this thread and all the work that has been put into it.
    Ranger 250 thick stuff
    Hobart Handler 140 not thick stuff
    the pane and oxy setup

Quote Originally Posted by KineticWeldingServic View Post
    Yes sir Mr. Irish that is some good looking patterning. I really enjoy torch cutting heavey plate 1.5"-3.5", all of wich is just cutting to length or divide cutting usually 96" or 120" wide. To me it's like a art form always trying to get that perfect cut with nothing but the thin papery slag stuck to the faces that will just about sweep off. I enjoyed this thread and all the work that has been put into it.
    Thanks. There's definitely some art form to it.

Here's the video finally. I'm not completely happy with it but I think I cut it down enough that most won't be bored stiff.

Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Thanks for all the videos and discussion. I do not have time to watch all the videos tonight but I do have time to ask a question that may have been covered. Best way to blast a hole in heavy plate? I can weld like crazy but up until this job I never had a lot of use for a torch. Everything was plasma before and even that did not see a lot of use. Now I use one all the time. I was taught to drill a hole as a starting point. I cannot use a drill most of the time, it simply doesn't fit especially when my hands need to be attached to it but the torch does. I can get a hole through it and then cut a fairly good circle. I burp the O2 when i see its hot enough to remove metal and just slowly keep digging it out. I'll take as many tips on this subject as I can get. I was told its a 1/2" tip and its a victor torch. Propane is at 12psi and O2 is at about 90 last I looked. No idea if that is a good setting, where the boss had it. Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

As found in post 59

Oxygen might be a bit high depending on how heavy a plate you're talking about. With a 1/2" sized tip I sometimes go that high for 1" and slightly thicker but it all depends on the tip itself. Some tips will cut great at that pressure and some don't do worth a darn. You have to experiment with each tip to see what's the optimum pressure, and speed of cut for each individual tip for each thickness being cut. I run a slightly smaller tip on my track torch at about that pressure and get great cuts on 1" plate. But I've got a slightly bigger tip on my pattern torch and it goes crazy if I go above 50psi.
    Last edited by irish fixit; 03-26-2014 at 12:57 AM.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Good videos. Very informative

Fantastic !
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Found this book dated 1955-60 on fleabay, interesting reading.
    Damn good old free ebook.
    Enjoy
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7969
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

Quote Originally Posted by MTtrainguy View Post
    Thanks for all the videos and discussion. I do not have time to watch all the videos tonight but I do have time to ask a question that may have been covered. Best way to blast a hole in heavy plate? I can weld like crazy but up until this job I never had a lot of use for a torch. Everything was plasma before and even that did not see a lot of use. Now I use one all the time. I was taught to drill a hole as a starting point. I cannot use a drill most of the time, it simply doesn't fit especially when my hands need to be attached to it but the torch does. I can get a hole through it and then cut a fairly good circle. I burp the O2 when i see its hot enough to remove metal and just slowly keep digging it out. I'll take as many tips on this subject as I can get. I was told its a 1/2" tip and its a victor torch. Propane is at 12psi and O2 is at about 90 last I looked. No idea if that is a good setting, where the boss had it. Thanks in advance.
    i use o/a and my settings are 40/10. when piercing a hole in plate i usually heat the area then instead of the tip pointing straight down i angle the tip a little so the slag dosen't blow back into the tip. you must be burning some heavy plate to be using 90 pounds of oxygen.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Thanks for the thread Irish, I have just started with a torch. My father-in-law got to old to use it, so I inherited it. It is an old victor 315, and he had some beat up tips. I used your videos to clean a tip, and get the torch to blow a longer flame with the cutting oxygen on than off. I had used the torch a little, before I found this site, but the correct cleaning and set-up completely changed how things look. I can't wait to try cutting some metal now, and see if I can make some slag free, no welding back cuts.

If you have a scrap yard nearby offer to cut out engines etc for free.I spent a summer in HS working at an old fartz scrap yard. I had the torch in my hand all day, in every position imaginable, for a couple months.Unlike them thar slobz, I made it a point to try to make nice straight cuts and man did I get good. Left hand, right hand, blowing the weld out of spring shackles where they meet the frame on big trucks to salvage the spring hanger too. Motor horns.Made that guy some money..... and earned myself a 406 tri-power for my Fairlane.

Name:  papajan.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  26.0 KB
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

Irish...
    Hello...I'm a MacNeil from Nova Scotia. I would like to say THANK YOU very much.
    I watched your vids and read the explanations for the past few nights.
    I must say I am now getting the hang of this.
    I was trained as a millwright 30 odd years ago andwas supposed to know how to do a bit of cutting and welding.
    The welding was not so bad but the cutting...not so much, until now.
    I have managed to zip off some 1/4 inch flatbar and even a few cuts on an old grader blade.
    Couldn't have done it without you.
    Regards Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hap2bee View Post
    Thanks for the thread Irish, I have just started with a torch. My father-in-law got to old to use it, so I inherited it. It is an old victor 315, and he had some beat up tips. I used your videos to clean a tip, and get the torch to blow a longer flame with the cutting oxygen on than off. I had used the torch a little, before I found this site, but the correct cleaning and set-up completely changed how things look. I can't wait to try cutting some metal now, and see if I can make some slag free, no welding back cuts.
    You're welcome. That's the first part, next comes learning to judge the speed and being steady with the cut. Once you get all the factors working together then it's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by snowshoveler View Post
    Irish...
    Hello...I'm a MacNeil from Nova Scotia. I would like to say THANK YOU very much.
    I watched your vids and read the explanations for the past few nights.
    I must say I am now getting the hang of this.
    I was trained as a millwright 30 odd years ago andwas supposed to know how to do a bit of cutting and welding.
    The welding was not so bad but the cutting...not so much, until now.
    I have managed to zip off some 1/4 inch flatbar and even a few cuts on an old grader blade.
    Couldn't have done it without you.
    Regards Chris
    You're Welcome.

I know when I was learning I never could find anybody to explain how to get a clean cut. I think it's something that gets skipped over most of the time. I just wanted to share some of the hard won lessons I've learned over the years. If that helps people get cleaner cuts then I've done what I set out to do.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

O/A is a beautiful thang. Too bad it isn't the norm today like it was.
    Every hotrodder-farmboy had a basic name for it. Llave de fuego...OOOOPs. Wrong county. Smoke Wrench.
    A small pair of tanks and a bit of skill you can save the world ! Horse. Bicycle. Backback.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer