Tig welders are hard to find. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Tig welders are hard to find.

"$4000 a week take-home"

I can't believe you have trouble finding qualified help at that rate. Hell, if I was checked out as a pro weldor I'd take a month off work for that kind of seriously paid vacation.
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Miller TB280 w/Spoolmatic 30a
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Ancient Millermatic 35
    Zeny Cut50 plasma cutter

I'd love to join you BFA but I've got til December to wrap up my 15 1/2 year job. Gotta stay to get my severance and 6 months insurance. 2 1/4 chrome is easy, I've made many thousands of x-ray welds on it. 9 chrome is a different animal but not bad if your familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoecruiser View Post
    Very long hours, specific skills and experience that are uncommon, a rigid timetable of performance and "importing" that talent to the area distorts the usual rate in any field.

Twenty years ago I got a cold-call from a company in S. California to do some consulting (they built wireless infrastructure equipment). The offered rate was eye-popping along with air fare, rental car, motel and a lobster/prime-rib per-diem. Two weeks on, two off flying cross country every month. I had a local gig to fill the two weeks back East so it worked well. After getting to L.A. I asked them why didn't they hire local? The answer, I was still cheaper then what they could find locally that met the need when they needed it.
    Thirty years ago I was paying $700 to live in a garage turned studio flat in Playa Del Rey (LA). We had a big government contract. We even invented and developed the hardware. Texas_Instruments beat us out of the renewal contract. The cost of living allowed them to bid way low.

The $4,000 a week would be good money in Texas but 84 hours come out to 106 hours for overtime. Thats close to $40/hr average. Thats good money in Texas but alot of hours. Be safe cause your gonna be fatigued by the end of 4 weeks. I would be after one week.

Not to hijack again but be safe working long hours 28 days in a row.

I just heard the Tesla_ plant shut down due to death of iron worker(Seatle crew). He got heat stroke doing decking. The weather has been cool here lately. I had heater on this morning. I guess deck work radiates heat back up at you.

I heard safety team sent him home mid week. They found him in his car in the parking lot this morning. Thats what I heard. Dont see it in any news tho.

Stay safe and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    "$4000 a week take-home"

I can't believe you have trouble finding qualified help at that rate. Hell, if I was checked out as a pro weldor I'd take a month off work for that kind of seriously paid vacation.
    A lot of it has to do with timing with the network of people I know, and what they got going on. The company itself is new and haven't started any contracts with employment agencies yet. But the best welders tend to not like going through the agencies because the pay tends to be a lot lower than average. On the flip side, small companies can't always keep full time code welders on board because the work load changes with each project, so they are usually stuck going through agencies and its hit or miss if they get good welders.

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    I'd love to join you BFA but I've got til December to wrap up my 15 1/2 year job. Gotta stay to get my severance and 6 months insurance. 2 1/4 chrome is easy, I've made many thousands of x-ray welds on it. 9 chrome is a different animal but not bad if your familiar with it.
    Yeah if you aren't familiar with 9 chrome, the puddle likes to drop out on you. Have to keep the rod in the puddle to hold it in place when doing the root.

Well if you want some work after that time, message me on here or something and I can see if any of my buddies knows any work going on. I plan on getting out of this line of work in Jan to continue my flight school. But I'll still have all my contacts.