Welding Cart - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welding Cart

Re: Welding Cart

Quote Originally Posted by peckens View Post
    And if there was obvious warpage... lesson learned.
    I definitely was able to hone my flame straightening technique as part of this build Although now that you mention tolerances I realize I forgot to check the final result with a straightedge and feeler gauges. I’ll do better next time
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Cool cart. Hey. If they find out that Lincoln was made in Mezko they might build a wall around it How will you get to the controls ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Cool cart. Hey. If they find out that Lincoln was made in Mezko they might build a wall around it How will you get to the controls ?
    Thanks Bonzoo. Autostart......Crap, you just made me realize that I may need a much longer work cable as the autostart sensor is at the back of the extractor. Although I can now wheel the welder to my welding table.....hmmmmm. I guess I'll find out soon enough
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

jay gill

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post

You mean this, that I mentioned in my first post?

Attachment 1688254

I also explained in my 1st post that I wanted a certain flat look on all my butt welds . . .

To that end I took some liberty with the procedures I picked, but they are in the book.

Excuse me for my oversight - I never imagined your inspirations were drawn from -

The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding in your first post - I was taken aback: by your
    great/photo/archive - of the poor joinery & welds . . .

You, are looking through the wrong-end of the telescope - It is akin to having a dream
    tool
    - and not the ability to operate . . .

Lincoln's Procedure Handbook isn't a reference book - it is a technique manual.

It tell you what to do - you don't review, and select/pick/chose - to ​accommodate 'your
    limited welding skills' . . .

Your 'design-considerations' are years in advance of your welding ability - read more -
    practice more - and your builds, will be a fraction, of your current labor effort -

again . . .

'This book will exponentially advance your learning curve' - read - three dozen times . . .
    And - I may still have a word - to your build inadequacies . . .

Opus

ps -

'Kudos for going after it' - Your paint job is cute - but doesn't fool weld-gauges . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

jay gill

[I]in your first post - I was taken aback: by your
    great/photo/archive- of the poor joinery & welds . . .
    It tell you what to do- you don't review, and select/pick/chose - to ​accommodate[I] 'your
    limited welding skills' . . .
    Your 'design-considerations' are years in advance of your welding ability - read more -
    practice more - and your builds, will be a fraction, of your current labor effort -
    'This book will exponentially advance your learning curve' - read- three dozen times . . .
    And - I may still have a word - to your build inadequacies . . .
    Opus
    I appreciate the feedback. I understand it is an ask of your time, but I am looking for something a bit more specific than 'read a book' and 'you welded it too much' and am hoping you'd be willing to share some of your knowledge. I am definitely willing to listen and use/store the information shared by people like yourself with decade of experience and thousands of jobs under your belt.

Yup, those welds in the first post are super *hitty. Probably should have posted under welding fails.

I don't think there is much "design" going into the joining of the perpendicular members. At the very least I have to weld 2 opposite sides. Ignoring whether it was needed or not, but meeting the requirement of having a smooth outside where the 2 members meet, How would you have welded these -- just the 2 top/bottom and bondo the outside?

Second question. My 'design' was most definitely, as you pointed out, my self selected answer to: how do I know this won't fall apart if I just do a butt weld and grind it flat. (I respectfully disagree with your assertion that a book can't be used as reference if I haven't read it cover to cover) I don't have the same experience nor confidence in my abilities as you do. So, knowing I wanted the end result flat (or mostly flat) and the corner to not be open, how would you have welded the corners at the outer ends of the shelves?

Third question. In your first post you said I over welded and put welds on top of welds. Would you offer some more specifics? I know the fillet welds were only welded a single time. Which welds were you referring to?

And seeing you seem to be excited about seeing how inadequate my welds are by comparing them to the welding gauge, here are a bunch for you to point at and laugh. I welcome specific feedback or tips.

Name:  Welding Gauge.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  83.5 KB
    I readily admit these aren't perfect and inconsistent between the MIG (.035 wire, suggested setting for 1/8" material) and stick welds (3/32", 7018)...but I also think they aren't ever going to ever fail.

Cheers!
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Opey gets a lil wound up but he's a master of technicalities.He gnowz his chit---really
    That being said. Go build something.
    Secret Bonzoo tip ! Shhhhhhhhhh
    Get some 023 or 025 wire to toss in there when you build that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Opey gets a lil wound up but he's a master of technicalities.He gnowz his chit---really
    That being said. Go build something.
    Secret Bonzoo tip ! Shhhhhhhhhh
    Get some 023 or 025 wire to toss in there when you build that sort of thing.
    And I was hoping for some good pointers. Oh well.

I am going to try the thinner wire. So I can have an idea going into using it, what should I expect? Slower travel? Less build up?
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    And I was hoping for some good pointers. Oh well.

I am going to try the thinner wire. So I can have an idea going into using it, what should I expect? Slower travel? Less build up?
    Not really slower travel unless you want to circle jerk(MIG like TIG). You can run it hot and pull a straight line like a machine with no cleanup at all. Try some.
    Collier did a vid a while back with 025 and thin tube( welding tips and tricks) Look it up
    Here. I grabbed it