Need advice on spool gun controller
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Need advice on spool gun controller

So I found this spool gun controller on ebay, its a linde mig-28a used with the st-23a spool gun, I have the mt-250sg which has the same 8 pin amphenol connector, and is pretty much interchangeable. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about these units? And what kind of power supply does the control box need it doesn't have a power supply cable

Any help would be appreciated

I'm tempted to just buy it and figure it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Re: Need advice on spool gun controller

It will run on a CC or CV power supply. Had one hooked up to a 252i tig with the ST-23 gun, and other CV machine too..It's a 120 volt box..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    It will run on a CC or CV power supply. Had one hooked up to a 252i tig with the ST-23 gun, and other CV machine too..It's a 120 volt box..
    Cool, any specific type of power cord needed? Or just plug it into 120?

And does it have a contactor and gas valve?

Thanks

I had the later model Esab unit. So that one there was a contactor. The gas flows through the box, because the Esab ST-23 has a manual gas valve .If you look how the gun you have hooks up to a migmaster etc.., it should give you some info.. I ran a cord out for 120 volt power. I believe from the 8 pin. Also had to move some wires around inside the box to get the closing contacts to work.. It will work just don't remember exactly how I did it. There are techs that know about them, and I got some info from one when I was messing with it..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I had the later model Esab unit. So that one there was a contactor. The gas flows through the box, because the Esab ST-23 has a manual gas valve .If you look how the gun you have hooks up to a migmaster etc.., it should give you some info.. I ran a cord out for 120 volt power. I believe from the 8 pin. Also had to move some wires around inside the box to get the closing contacts to work.. It will work just don't remember exactly how I did it. There are techs that know about them, and I got some info from one when I was messing with it..
    So I bought it off ebay for $75, when it comes in I'll see what I can do to get it hooked up

So I got the box, I'm wondering how to hook it up to 120v, is it the black and white wires in the 6 pin plug on the back of the unit?

I could test it but don't want to damage anything

So I was doing a Google search about this controller and I came across my own thread haha, I'd like to get this controller working so I can use my spool gun with my generator welder any ideas? Where can I find the power supply cable?

I guess it would be called a control cable?
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 06-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    So I was doing a Google search about this controller and I came across my own thread haha, I'd like to get this controller working so I can use my spool gun with my generator welder any ideas? Where can I find the power supply cable?

I guess it would be called a control cable?
    Like you said, ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    Like you said, ha, ha.
    Thanks!
    That really helps me
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 06-10-2018 at 02:54 AM.

This is how a Airco AH20-E is set up to a miller WC-3A. Your brass fitting does the same thing as the one in pic, looks like yours has left hand threads. Profax can make you a hose or get you a different brass fitting to connect it all.

Look at miller WC-3A manual as all these boxes do the same thing.

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  81.0 KB

http://www.profaxlenco.com/products/dl-catalog.html

Looks like no contactor in your box, the Airco gun has a manual gas valve built in. Profax makes control boxes that would make your spool gun work, call them.

You could install a contactor like this, just get one with correct voltage.
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Albright-SW20...8AAOxySy9SPvS8
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 06-10-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    This is how a Airco AH20-E is set up to a miller WC-3A. Your brass fitting does the same thing as the one in pic, looks like yours has left hand threads. Profax can make you a hose or get you a different brass fitting to connect it all.

Look at miller WC-3A manual as all these boxes do the same thing.

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

Views: 116
Size:  81.0 KB

http://www.profaxlenco.com/products/dl-catalog.html

Looks like no contactor in your box, the Airco gun has a manual gas valve built in. Profax makes control boxes that would make your spool gun work, call them.

You could install a contactor like this, just get one with correct voltage.
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Albright-SW20...8AAOxySy9SPvS8
    I don't believe there is a contactor, but it's not that I'm looking for, I need to power the box it runs on 120vac I can't find a control cable, and I can't seem to wire it to work either

You will to have make a cable, get a connector to hook up to the six pin connector on back of unit. Take a good pic of 6 pin connector and send it to you favorite electronic store (Mouser, AlliedElectronics).

On a miller WC-3A the black and white wires are for 120vac. The other wires are probably to energize a contactor on your power supply.

Looks like miller WC-2 matches your unit, the WC-2 is designed for use with a welding power source having a contactor.

The black and white wires go to a switch and fuse on front panel.

You will need a connector, female pins and a pin removal tool. Those 6 pin connectors are made in different sizes, so get correct one .

Without a contactor your welding wire will be hot all the time, but it looks like you could add one pretty easily .

Views: 77
Size:  93.4 KB
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 06-12-2018 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    You will to have make a cable, get a connector to hook up to the six pin connector on back of unit. Take a good pic of 6 pin connector and send it to you favorite electronic store (Mouser, AlliedElectronics).

On a miller WC-3A the black and white wires are for 120vac. The other wires are probably to energize a contactor on your power supply.

Looks like miller WC-2 matches your unit, the WC-2 is designed for use with a welding power source having a contactor.

The black and white wires go to a switch and fuse on front panel.

You will need a connector, female pins and a pin removal tool. Those 6 pin connectors are made in different sizes, so get correct one .

Without a contactor your welding wire will be hot all the time, but it looks like you could add one pretty easily .

Views: 77
Size:  93.4 KB
    Thanks I'll try to look for a connector, I need to get my tester and put power to those white and black wires and see what happens