Bench Grinder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Bench Grinder

Bench Grinder

What is the opinion on a good home shop bench grinder? I would be using it here and there. Should go Dewalt,Jet,Delta, HF? I usually buy the best I can find but I am reading reviews with the opinion that there may not be enough of difference with this type of tool. I would like a light but not a requirement.
    I look forward to your feedback.

Re: Bench Grinder

I buy grinders based of what material im grinding and what type im looking to do.

The last shop I worked in had some 1950's era heavy duty 12" grinders that would clean up 3/8" plate in a few passes - but also had a few 8" grinders for light plate work and making small bevels.

In my shop at home I have a Delta GR275 - works great for sharpening baldes, cleaning tools, removing rust etc... fantastic little unit but it is limited in its abilities. im not about to take a piece of plate and clean up a cut.

what type of work do you want to do?
    what type of material are you working with?
    do you plan to use it frequently or only from time to time?
    what power do you have access to? (our big 12" ran on 220 and were machines!!)

Thanks for the reply. I will be doing some fab up of dog kennel boxes for vehicles. Some aluminum some steel,no bigger than 1/8 angle,square stock and maybe a dedicated wheel for tungsten clean up?
    Esab Mig 200i Caddy
    Esab Tig 2200i ac/dc water cooled
    Miller Diversion 180
    Lincoln HD 110v weldpack

depending on how big the pieces are, you might want to look into a good 9amp dewalt hand held for the sheets, much easier to handle a grinder than try to man-handle the sheet of aluminum. a 9 amp is small enough to be light in the hands, but still beefy enough to take off a good amount of material.

you could pickup a good 4-5" craftsman bench grinder for the tungstens fairly inexpensive, maybe pay $150 for both if you can get a good deal

I bought a 6" or 8" (can't remember now), from The Wharehouse Club back in the mid 90's. It sat outdoors, uncovered, behind my brothers garage for 10 years. I finally picked it up and for the heck of it I plugged it in. The light bulb worked and it tried to move, so I tured it off, gave it a spin and turned it on again, and it's still working just fine today!!! I obviously put on new wheels. I think the brand was Allied, and I think it cost either $40.00 or $60.00 new. So, if I had to buy another, I don't think I would worry too much about brand.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

I got a Dayton, and even though it says "China" on a tiny sticker on the back, it performs very well, lots of power and ball bearings, it will coast for a long time. In contrast I have an old Harbor Freight that is and always has been weak, bogs down at the slightest pressure, is loud and pretty much useless except for maybe polishing with a wire brush or cleaning bolt threads.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

I like to bring it down to the line,do clean up and chamfer jobs with my 3600RPM 12 inch grinder. I use it more than my 10" bench grinder because it's more accurate... When I need to waste metal I prefer the mini grinders. I think I got it on sale at Enco for around $125.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tackit; 12-31-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I settled on a Ryobi 8" grinder after going to HD,Lowes,Sears,HF,Amazon,Tool Crib,and the local shop.
    HF had to be the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. The Ryobi has a 2yr warranty so with no great reviews on the Delta or Dewalt I threw in the towel. I was looking for US made for under $300 and could not find it anywhere.

My 5 inch Hilti DEG 500-D 5 " Angle Grinder is the type of quality I shop for in my tools. I hate settling
    Esab Mig 200i Caddy
    Miller Diversion 180
    Lincoln HD 110v weldpack

How much you got? $700 gets you an American made Baldor grinder that will never let you down.

Quote Originally Posted by 76GMC1500 View Post
    How much you got? $700 gets you an American made Baldor grinder that will never let you down.
    i picked up an 8" Sioux that is probably from the 50-60's for 45$ that is so smooth you can set a dime on it, turn it on and it will run up to speed and never move the dime. you don't need to bolt it down or wear ear plugs to run it either. i got a couple Taiwan grinders from the 70's that are almost as smooth and still hangin in there. i bought a HF grinder awhile back that if you set a dime on it and turned it on you better duck or wear it. the Delta's and Jets i have tried at the local schools are not much smoother than the HF i bought. if you have the bucks the Baldor is the way to go for new.
    Last edited by jbmprods; 01-01-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Quote Originally Posted by 76GMC1500 View Post
    Umm $700 would be a bit much for a bench grinder for what I am using it for. I just wish there was a US made one for under $300.
    Esab Mig 200i Caddy
    Miller Diversion 180
    Lincoln HD 110v weldpack

I got a 3/4 hp Baldor Three-Phase unit at home. I run it off a VFD so I can actually control the speed of it. I got a few bigger ones at the shop, I think they're 3 hp with a 14x3" wheel. I also really prefer a belt sander if the option is there. I prefer the 6x48" belt size and anything NOT Kalamazoo branded.
    Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII
    Don't get me wrong. They are just as ill informed about politics as they are about welding, they just post more on that subject.

I always watch Craigslist for old grinders. You can get old Baldors and Deltas cheap.

A mlx of steel and aluminum grinder dust will ignite.Dont try grinding aluminum unless you know how to dress a clogged wheel.Most grinders a imports now and the wheels are junk.

The balance of the wheels decide how smooth a grinder runs

The only thing I find bench grinders are good for is sharpening blades and for wire wheels.
    Hand held and beltsanders for me.
    Tim Beeker.

Oh, and for a home shop Delta isn't too bad.
    Tim Beeker.

Got an 8" Ohio Forge from HD many years ago. It does great and will wind down for what seems like forever. I don't think they're available any more and if they are, probably aren't up to that quality.

Papa
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

harbor freight
    [I]Miller Matic 212
    Lincoln 140t
    Chicago Electric 171
    Hobart EZ TIG 165i

The Harbor Freight grinders are good for sharpening tungsten and that's about it. They're seriously lacking in power and will bog down easily. If you're going to be grinding anything heavy duty, shop elsewhere.
    "There are two types of people in America - those who try to classify everyone into two types and those who don't."

Just to be clear you're talking a bench mount disc/belt sander? A bench grinder to me is a motor with grinding stone wheels on either side of it.

If you're talking sanders, I picked up a harbor freight combo about a year ago, in a pinch. Very shaky, the stand was too short (boosted it up on 4x4s and it's perfect), and the damn on/off switch is on the back. But for the price, it works just fine and got me what I needed out of it. I picked up some better quality abrasives and it really works fine.

As for getting old stuff, I just picked up some oldies that haven't been used since at least 1987. Just gonna need a little tuning up and use and they should be great. In other words, if you have the time, wait and scour craigslist to find something nice, and in your price range. You can broaden your search by using a website like searchtempest.com, which searches all craigslist areas within a specified distance. It's a big time-saver.
    IW Local 580 NY, NY

I used to work on a Baldor 1022W a fair amount. Bada$$ grinder, but you gotta have all your pennies in one spot to own it.

my next bench grinder would be a grizzly made in taiwan
    but after buying my sander i dont use my grinder much
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ryobi 8" primary job for me is sharpening drill bits and plane blades. from Home Depot $75-85 last year to replace my handed down hand me down bench grinder.

I picked up an older USA made craftsman industrial for $40 last night , craigslist.
    Ball bearings, fully sealed, 1/3 hp, looks brand new and was not in use. He claimed it had the original wheels.

Super smooth, quiet, I am happy. Watch for deals on used stuff, just don't buy the stuff I want.

Remember the Office Space scene with the printer? I'm tempted to do that with my harbor freight unit. But maybe I can use it as a paint shaker, just set the can on top. Actually it will probably become be dedicated tungsten grinder but even that will probably bog the sucker down. (rated same power as the old craftsman, bah!)