Powermax 30xp
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Powermax 30xp

Powermax 30xp

Finally got a 30xp. Have been wanting a plasma cutter for awhile. Have been using grinders and torches to cut everything. So one came across my path on a trade So i jumped on it. Would much rather got the 45xp. But this one was brand new in the box and i only have about 700 in trade in it. So im happy with it. Have watched alot of videos and read alot about hypertherm. Watching videos with Jim Colt and Chucke2009 helped me make up my mind on getting a hypertherm. I have an air fillter ant the compresser and i drain tank everyday. Am wondering if i should put a pressure gauge/regulator at the unit itself to make sure it gets the right pressure.
    Thanks Chris
    Last edited by oucme69; 02-05-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: For got to ask for info

Re: Powermax 30xp

Awesome machine. Sounds like you got a smokin deal too. Cant pass that up. I always used my regulator on my tank outlet and it seemed to do fine.

If you already have a regulator in line you should be fine as the machine itself already has one built in. The drier the air the longer consumables will last.

If your compressor cycles between 90 psi and 130 psi, then you can run straight off the compressor with no regulator. If the compressor has a high shutoff above 130 psi then you will need a regulator that stays below 130. Jim Colt Hypertherm Thanks for getting the Powermax, from all of the employee-owners at Hypertherm.

I have a regulator at the air compressor and it is set around 115. But didn't know how much pressure would drop going threw the filter. Should I turn it up to 135. Was thinking the middle was a good place to run it. It is a 60 gal compressor and put out 155 max.
    Last edited by oucme69; 02-05-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Buy a pressure gauge and some fittings and install the gauge right at the inlet to the Powermax. You then can compare the pressure at the inlet by making the air flow at the torch...then look at the gauge on the plasma.....it will be lower than the one at your compressor / regulator. The difference is the pressure drop caused by the plumbing system, filters, hose diameter etc..

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Name:  powermaxpressuregauge 001.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.7 KBName:  powermaxpressuregauge 003.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  45.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oucme69 View Post
    I have a regulator at the air compressor and it is set around 115. But didn't know how much pressure would drop going threw the filter. Should I turn it up to 135. Was thinking the middle was a good place to run it. It is a 60 gal compressor and put out 155 max.

Thanks for the replies. I will buy a pressure gauge and fittings and put it on an check like you suggested Jim Colt. Thanks again for the replies and advice. As it is my first plasma cutter and not a cheap one. I just want to make sure I don't screw it up. Have used it some on a hand cutting plasma table and it is so much better then my torch or grinder. Great product glad I didn't get a cheap China made one.
    Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Buy a pressure gauge and some fittings and install the gauge right at the inlet to the Powermax. You then can compare the pressure at the inlet by making the air flow at the torch...then look at the gauge on the plasma.....it will be lower than the one at your compressor / regulator. The difference is the pressure drop caused by the plumbing system, filters, hose diameter etc..

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Name:  powermaxpressuregauge 001.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.7 KBName:  powermaxpressuregauge 003.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  45.2 KB
    I have a question about the fittings you have pictured in this thread and the ones on the Hypertherm site attached to the 1 micron air filter. I'm going to purchase a Powermax 30 xp for home use. I notice that the plugs you are using appear to be industrial style 1/4" Plugs and couplers with 1/4"NPT threads. I have also seen that the recommendation is to use a 3/8"id hose to supply the air. I am a little confused as to why a 3/8" hose would be used and then bottle necked at all the connection points. Is there a specific reason for that? Would there be an adverse effect if I used 3/8" plugs/couplers that have the same 1/4"NPT threads as the smaller 1/4" diameter plugs/couplers? Do the 3/8" provide too much flow? I may have worded that in a confusing way, so I'll post pictures of the plugs I'm talking about. The threaded ends are the same but the plug end diameters are not.

Thanks for any insight on this

Name:  IMG_E2457.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  169.5 KBName:  IMG_E2454.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  124.0 KB

1/4" NPT (national pipe thread) fittings are perfectly suitable for the Powermax system flowrate. Hose is usually a big restrictor due to its length, and 1/4" diameter hose is too small (proven many times). These smaller pipe fittings work fine with compressible gas (like air), though could cause a big restriction with liquids. The gauge on the inlet to the plasma is the telltale indicator. Jim Colt Hypertherm