Pipefitters blue book questions ???
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Pipefitters blue book questions ???

OK last time I was fitting was 3 1/2 yrs ago in school .
    Mainly 4 and six inch pipe 45 and 30 degree offsets rolling offsets etc .
    Lost my bluebook got a new one what is the most important info I should highlight for quick reference in the field ?
    Also in plant work what's the most common size pipe I'll be working with ?
    All I've been doing is structural mig since college

Sent from my HTC 2PST2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Have you ever seen a cow that was welding overhead burst into flames
    my certs as of 1/29/14
    SMAW
    3G plate
    2,4,6, 6G
    hard wire and flux core
    3G
    GTAW
    2,4,6 6G
    3G plate
    SS sch 80 6G

Re: Pipefitters blue book questions ???

Totally subjective on what you're working on. The stuff that's easy to memorize you probably don't need to highlight for quick reference. The stuff that you struggle with, you might want to highlight.

Most common pipe? Are you serious? There's absolutely no way for anybody to answer that. It's totally dependent on what industry you're in, what job you're working on, the specific application, and so on and so forth. No way that anybody can answer that question without knowing exactly what your job is.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

I normally keep a couple of file clips in the truck. Whatever size I'm working on at the time gets clipped, so I can find it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

Hello,

I am an instrumentation pipefitter currently. I carry a few laminated cheat sheets, they last that way and you can wipe of smudges easy. I do mostly 30° and 45° kicks and offsets so I carry a cheat sheet for those. But it's easy to memorize your bend allowance numbers, 30° Is 2 and 45° is 1.414.

I carry cheat sheets for 22.5° and 60° just in case, have needed them a few times.

I also have a sheet for my Bender radii, even though they are stamped on the dies and a Bender manual.

A drill/tap/die chart is useful as well as a countersink chart.

I included a pic but don't know why it's sideways.

Name:  20180113_110155.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  122.1 KB
    Millermatic 140
    Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
    Miller Bobcat 225G Plus
    2004 2500HD Duramax (current welding rig project)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjaholic View Post
    Hello,

I am an instrumentation pipefitter currently. I carry a few laminated cheat sheets, they last that way and you can wipe of smudges easy. I do mostly 30° and 45° kicks and offsets so I carry a cheat sheet for those. But it's easy to memorize your bend allowance numbers, 30° Is 2 and 45° is 1.414.

I carry cheat sheets for 22.5° and 60° just in case, have needed them a few times.

I also have a sheet for my Bender radii, even though they are stamped on the dies and a Bender manual.

A drill/tap/die chart is useful as well as a countersink chart.

I included a pic but don't know why it's sideways.

Name:  20180113_110155.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  122.1 KB
    You ,my good sir,are an artist. That’s slick work. I’m a plumber by trade. I have to do some of that from time to time, but not near to that degree. Pretty work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

If you're steamfitting, well be concerned about carbon steel, Rolling offsets would be a good place to mark, you should know your fitting take outs by heart, or at least know the formulas. Get with an old fitter and pay attention, and don't discount his tricks of the trade. You can figure out a lot with a simple framing square. If you're fitting Stainless in the food industry, a whole different set of rules. The main thing is to just learn by experience and if you don't know something don't try and wing it, just ask