Pipe welding school?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20

    Pipe welding school?

    In your opinion what is the best welding school to learn how to pipe welding? The welding school I went to was pretty basic and it helped out a lot because I've been a welder fabricator for 12 years but wanna get into pipe welding. I've heard the Tulsa welding school is a good school but it seems from what I've read that it's a rush school and If I'm gonna spend that kinda money on my future I want to spend the money wisely.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamlin, NY
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    You're a welder/fabrI cat or for 12 years? Buy some pipe and rod. Pracrice. Don't waste your time and money.
    Ryan

    Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    I've really thought about it. Just didn't know if I could get more out of a school

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Western New York State, USA
    Posts
    1,901

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2005tritontr186 View Post
    In your opinion what is the best welding school to learn how to pipe welding? The welding school I went to was pretty basic and it helped out a lot because I've been a welder fabricator for 12 years but wanna get into pipe welding. I've heard the Tulsa welding school is a good school but it seems from what I've read that it's a rush school and If I'm gonna spend that kinda money on my future I want to spend the money wisely.
    .
    some pipe fitter apprenticeship programs teach pipe welding too. after 3 or 4 years most but not all can pass a pipe welding test
    .
    if you are over 30 years old it can be difficult to get into a apprentice program

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    824

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    I mentioned the tulsa welding school in the other thread. Its really hard to compare what school is best because it's probably very rare for someone to attend more then one. I don't think it's rushed at all. What really matters is how fast you pick up each section of welding, because there is a curriculum they follow and you have to stay with the rest of your class. So for someone who just can't get it, they may feel rushed. But also with that, you can go in on the weekends and outside of class time to practice all you want. To graduate the school, you have to pass a few different bend tests. I didn't see anyone not graduate. They give you as many tries as you need. Even after you graduate, you can go into any Tulsa welding school to practice more for the rest of your life.

    The thing about apprenticeships is that you are going to be there for years before making the money a pipe welder should be making. This school is 7 months. You may get bored during the structural portion, but I think I remember something about doing the pipe only portion. You'd have to call and check. You could always learn on your own, but you need to buy all the material, and need feed back so you aren't practicing bad habits and it really helps if the feedback is real-time, not just people looking at pics of your welds.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Western New York State, USA
    Posts
    1,901

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    I mentioned the tulsa welding school in the other thread. Its really hard to compare what school is best because it's probably very rare for someone to attend more then one. I don't think it's rushed at all. What really matters is how fast you pick up each section of welding, because there is a curriculum they follow and you have to stay with the rest of your class. So for someone who just can't get it, they may feel rushed. But also with that, you can go in on the weekends and outside of class time to practice all you want. To graduate the school, you have to pass a few different bend tests. I didn't see anyone not graduate. They give you as many tries as you need. Even after you graduate, you can go into any Tulsa welding school to practice more for the rest of your life.

    The thing about apprenticeships is that you are going to be there for years before making the money a pipe welder should be making. This school is 7 months. You may get bored during the structural portion, but I think I remember something about doing the pipe only portion. You'd have to call and check. You could always learn on your own, but you need to buy all the material, and need feed back so you aren't practicing bad habits and it really helps if the feedback is real-time, not just people looking at pics of your welds.
    .
    .
    pipe fitter apprenticeship you are learning the trade which is more than just welding. 3 years is rushing it. usually with welding added to pipe fitter apprenticeship it is 4 years.
    .
    not many places will pay much until you serve an apprenticeship and gain experience. usually you get pay raises every 6 months. after 4 years your pay is at average level. takes 10 years in the trade often to make more than average pay. it is what it is.
    .
    you take quick 1 year course and they will just give you a moderately hard job and watch 99.9% fail to do job. takes years to learn a trade. many a apprentice who thinks they know it all is given a moderately hard job and after they fail at it their attitude is adjusted with more respect to the older experienced masters of the trade. much easier to teach apprentices when they fail and then ask for advice or help

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    824

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    .
    .
    pipe fitter apprenticeship you are learning the trade which is more than just welding. 3 years is rushing it. usually with welding added to pipe fitter apprenticeship it is 4 years.
    .
    not many places will pay much until you serve an apprenticeship and gain experience. usually you get pay raises every 6 months. after 4 years your pay is at average level. takes 10 years in the trade often to make more than average pay. it is what it is.
    .
    you take quick 1 year course and they will just give you a moderately hard job and watch 99.9% fail to do job. takes years to learn a trade. many a apprentice who thinks they know it all is given a moderately hard job and after they fail at it their attitude is adjusted with more respect to the older experienced masters of the trade. much easier to teach apprentices when they fail and then ask for advice or help
    You aren't working in the right places then. Pipe welding is a trade in itself. Every single job I've been on, fitters make less than the welders and work harder. It didn't take me years to learn to weld. I came right out of school making $65k a year doing 100% xray welds for an aerospace company. Like 1 month after graduating. When you work shutdowns and outages, no one cares how much experience you have as long as you pass the weld test. Then you're right there making $3000-5000 a week just like every other welder. Then you gain your experience, while making over $100k a year even after taking months off. Then after a few years once you have your experience and bank account over flowing, you can try to get recruited into a union as a 4th or 5th year.

    Saying no one will hire you without experience is complete and utter BS.

    The very first outage I ever did didn't even test me. Paid $37.50 an hour, $125 a day per diem,$750 in, $750 out, working 12s on a 5 day job. I made over $4800 for those 5 days. Then they said "hey, want to go to another 5 day outage only an hour away?" They paid the $750 in and out again just for going an hour away, and that Sunday was double time. In 10 days, I made over $10k, no experience in the field.
    Last edited by TheBFA; 05-26-2017 at 02:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamlin, NY
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Pipe welding school?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2005tritontr186 View Post
    I've really thought about it. Just didn't know if I could get more out of a school
    If you're really a fabricator with 12 years experience, then no. No offense, but honestly you wouldn't really be asking this question anyway if you were even being moderately challenged to be fabricating. I've seen boat loads of "pipe welders" who are union card carrying hacks that don't know how to do a damn thing except walk the cup, or burn 6010 downhill and 7018 up. Most could only do one or the other. A welder/fabricator can fit, weld, solve problems and make it all look damn good and pass xray tests. That's my 2 cents.
    Ryan

    Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement