Anything bad about a HTP Pro Pulse 200?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

So quick background on what I need in a welder... I like to fabricate things (mainly steel up to 1/8 or 3/16 generally) from tables to basic suspension parts for cars to tools to storage boxes/holders/etc. Nothing too exciting or fancy, just generally stuff I need.

I want a nice 220V MIG, and I'm more than willing to pay for a good one. I've had a Hobart handler 140 for 2.5 years and just sold it with the intent of buying a more powerful MIG to step into the world of Aluminum. I probably would never be doing more than 3/16" aluminum. I felt rather limited in what I could do with the Hobart, so I will take on bigger project with a better welder.

I've looked at quite a few different MIG welders from Miller to Everlast to HTP, and the HTP, while being the most expensive for the capabilities (220 amp), it seems to be way more advanced than the other machines. The synergic function on the Everlast machines seems to be lacking (yes, it's synergic, but Miller/Lincoln/HTP all let you set the material thickness to help narrow down the possible settings, while Everest just uses a preset Volt/Amp ratio IIRC). The Lincoln 210MP and Multimatic 215 have better synergic functions than the everlast, but still seem below that of the HTP. I'm not looking for a multiprocess welder, it's just that the multiprocess machines from Lincoln/Miller seem to have better synergic modes than their other MIG welders in that price range. If I want to start TIG, I'd much rather just buy a dedicated AC/DC TIG than a DC only multiprocess unit.

HTP seems to have the best pulse capabilities (along with the best Synergicc mode) plus things like crater fill, hot start, double pulse capability, and ST arc. Seems incredible compared to the other MIGs in this price range.

So I've got plenty of reasons I should buy one. Very clearly seems to be the most feature packed MIG and has more power than I need for what I want to do. I understand that I will have to ship it back for repair (or get a new one/parts shipped to me by HTP), but that's about the biggest negative I can think of. Not too big of a deal for a hobbyist, and if the Pro Pulse 200 is anything like the Invertig, I still don't think I've heard of a single failure of those yet....

That leads me to this- Why shouldn't I buy one?

Re: Anything bad about a HTP Pro Pulse 200?

So I have both the MP210 and the PP200. There is a huge diff in build quality that I can see. The ability to quickly swap guns between Steele and aluminum is awesome for me as I primarily do aluminum. That being said the one con for the PP is it's not able to run on 110v. For me this is a non issues as I have 220 in my shop and will never take it anywhere.

Also the MP210 now sits on a shelf under a cover as I much prefer the PP.

The wire feed mechanism is MUCH better on the PP. I have a wobble in the MP210 that came when it was new

Other than that not much else to say expect I really like my PP200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yeah, the lack of 110/120 I was a little disappointed in (forgot about that), however I just finished running 240 to my garage about an hour ago, so I'm good to go now!

I've been sucked into HTP's website now. I'm looking at a Invertig 221 too

I had an invertig too. Awesome machine.

Do yourself a favor and get the water cooled version

220A? I thought it was 200A?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

It's a 200 Amp class machine, but can peak to 220 Amps to help for rustier or dirtier material for a short period of time, and can pulse up to 300 Amps- at least according to the manual. 200 Amps under most conditions, but has a little in reserve for when you really need it.

Stel also lists it as an Iron-Mig 221P, which would lead me to believe that 220 Amps actual while welding is possible on this machine, and it wasn't just a typo in the HTP manual. May not be able to set it to 220, but it will run at that if needed.

Ah, interesting. I downloaded the manual but haven't looked at it yet. I might need to sell my MM 211.....

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Also keep in mind this has the euro mig gun connector, which I much prefer over the Lincoln MP210

Mr Smartdave

I know you do mostly alum.. But I would love to hear and "see" pic from someone who has done some pulse MIG on steel with this machine.
    San Antonio, Texas..

Miller 211
    MILLER BIG 40 ( 1988 RETRO IN WORKS )
    Dreaming of a 4x4 plasma table build.

I'm in the midst of designing a welding cart, and out of curiosity, how tall is the invertig 221 from the base to the top of the handle? The website says 15.75", but I'm not sure if that includes the handle. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Loscaldazar View Post
    I'm in the midst of designing a welding cart, and out of curiosity, how tall is the invertig 221 from the base to the top of the handle? The website says 15.75", but I'm not sure if that includes the handle. Thanks!
    Just measured mine......16 inches to top of handle.

Wonderful! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Loscaldazar View Post
    Wonderful! Thanks again!
    Yup, with a 16" tall space, there will be just a hair of clearance at the top-most part of the handle assembly, around 1/16".

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

It arrived!

Only question is, was it supposed to come with a ground clamp? Or is it assumed since it is just a dinse connector that you already have a ground clamp? I've got a few lying around, so not a big deal, but just was wondering?

Mine came with one.

What guns did you get?

I'll contact them and see if I can get that then. Double checked the packaging and nothing there

I got the 24 series 10' and the 26 series 8' (which is on backorder). They included the 26 series (along with extra consumables and the aluminum roller for free), so that was absolutely fantastic!

Diana will get you squared away

I know this is an old thread, but better given some of you have had the Pro Pulse 20". Any issues?

My main system is a MM211 and debating the Miller 255 vs PP200.

Reading stats, the PP200 wins a the best value. I am a hobbyist but concerned about durability. I can't find anything wrong with PP200 on forums other than concerns of service if or when it is needed.

I plan on doing mainly aluminum and keeping my MM211 for steel.

Thoughts or long term feedback?

Miller 255 is new and not yet proven.

Maybe Oscar will see this thread and chip in on his PP200
    Richard

i have a htp pp200 and a miller 252. and i would take a 252 or 255 in a heartbeat. its a different class machine. the htp has lower duty cycle and far less capacity. not to mention pulse isn't that big a deal. the pp200 is the least used machine in my shop.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Miller 255 is new and not yet proven.

Maybe Oscar will see this thread and chip in on his PP200
    Nope, never saw it until now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jljude View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but better given some of you have had the Pro Pulse 20". Any issues?

My main system is a MM211 and debating the Miller 255 vs PP200.

Reading stats, the PP200 wins a the best value. I am a hobbyist but concerned about durability. I can't find anything wrong with PP200 on forums other than concerns of service if or when it is needed.

I plan on doing mainly aluminum and keeping my MM211 for steel.

Thoughts or long term feedback?
    I've only had mine since January I think? It's definitely not in the same amperage class as a Miller 252 or 255 that's for sure. A quick glance at their manuals will tell you that. It's main selling point are the synergic programs it comes with, and even then they are not for everybody, as tracymobilecnc has pointed out. I personally think it has a nicer smoother arc than the Millermatic 211 inverter that I used to have. I've only ran about 15-18 lbs of steel through it, and perhaps 1-2 lbs of aluminum on some small projects repairs and haven't had any issues that wouldn't be considered part of the learning-curve for a non-professional welder. These PP200/PP220's are not full-on fabrication/production machines, they are light-duty/light-fab machines with a 35% duty cycle at full power (some have reported much longer actual welding before the software shuts it down, others have reported less), but it depends on a lot of other conditions as well.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC