Welding rig
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Welding rig

Welding rig

I am wondering if my gmc 2500 6.0 will work as a rig. I just want to set it up to do mobile repair work.

Re: Welding rig

Personally I think that would be heavy duty enough as long as your welder isn't too heavy.

But I bet it would be pretty easy to load it to capacity
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

The truck is a 16 2500hd. I dont know how much it can haul.

I carry quite a bit in my 250 Name:  IMG_0384.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  122.6 KB

What kind of work do you do out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by opencircles View Post
    What kind of work do you do out of it?
    Looks like welding work where he can make money.......not shopping carts, lawn mower decks, gate latches,etc.

I'd weld up a trailer for all the tools and cart that around. That'll give you the option of still having the truck for other stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Quote Originally Posted by opencircles View Post
    The truck is a 16 2500hd. I dont know how much it can haul.
    There should be a GVWR number on a tag in your driver's doorframe or the door itself. Take that number and subtract the actual weight of your truck with you and a full tank of fuel in it (get this number from a set of certified scales at a truck stop, feed mill, etc). The remaining number is your payload capacity. Your welder, torches, and all other tools and crap need to weigh that amount or less.

I don't know about GM products, but there is very little difference between the SRW Ford F250 and F350 models in payload capacity; sometimes no difference at all. So I would guess that if you're careful, and if you don't have a super-heavy truck (4-door longbed 4x4 diesel for example), that you can pile enough stuff in there to make it workable.

If it looks like it'll be really close, you may need to pay attention to front and rear axle ratings as well (GAWR's). They're on the same tag. Also be sure your tires' load range is OK for the load, and get them up to max pressure if needed.

You may catch a little flak from some people who believe only a dually should be used for a welding truck. You won't hear that from me, as I use a SRW truck for my little runaround and prefer it that way.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Heavy equipment

I agree 100% with tbone.

I have a 2500 that I put one ton springs under. I'm at 8,800 with me in it. Wish I could put an air compressor on there too but just not enough room or payload capacity.

All depends what you're all planning on taking for equipment.
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Like all trucks, they have their initial weight demands and then slowly gain weight as they are used with all the odds and ends that are thrown on them during the course of their use. I saw a one ton van used for plumbing work, three years later it needed a differential replacement because it had bent under the the weight it had gained over that time. YMMV
    To love is to weld

You can Vehicle Mounted Air Compressors that run off of the engine. Company called VMAC.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Don't forget to invest in good security. Trucks loaded with welding gear are real magnets for thieves.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post

You may catch a little flak from some people who believe only a dually should be used for a welding truck. You won't hear that from me, as I use a SRW truck for my little runaround and prefer it that way.
    Advantage off-road is that you don't have to worry about rocks and branches getting stuck between the duals.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

A classic tow truck trick is to bring your overload spring perches into contact with your overload leaves by welding some 1/4" wall square tubing to the perches. The radiused tubing corners smoothly ride against the overload leaves. Slap some grease on the interface if it squeaks.

My F150 has Hellwig rear overloads, coilover shocks and Timbren urethane overload springs. They don't conflict and it doesn't squat much despite a steel liftgate and loads like my Bridgeport in the bed.

Also be sure your tires' load range is OK for the load, and get them up to max pressure if needed.
    Mr Bone is wise. Cheaping out on tires is no fun when they delaminate far from home.

dont weld onto the overload perches, it point load extreeme amounts of stress. a better option is to bolt bump stops to the perchs so the contact earlier in the load.

you can weld out of a honda civic, i started in a half ton. but if you dont know the capacity of your rig.... your off to a bad start. imho
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

I checked the weight on one our E350 dually ambulances one time, the rig had a gvw of 12,500 lbs and weighed in at around 11,800 with a half a tank of fuel, no crew and no patient, meaning that there was no way it was under its gvw
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

My first job as a millwright was in sawmill. In those days they stacked by hand outside .A long belt would kick off the 2x4s, 2x6, etc. according to length. Once stacked, then the forklift would pick up the bundle. I'm sure forklift drivers were either blind or drunk or both. Every shift we would have to go out with the welding truck and weld something back together. The welder was one of those old Lincoln gas powered. It was on , this is the point of all this, a Ford 3/4t 4x4. The rear axle got so bent we only used the front axle to drive. The forestry division got new trucks so we begged one of the used 3/4t 4x4. Within a month it's rear axle was bent and it was back to front wheel drive. It was just used in the yard, my partner and I never drove crazy, and the other two shift millwrights were older than us. What I'm saying is a 3/4t is too light.