253DPi Mig - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 253DPi Mig

Re: 253DPi Mig

Quote Originally Posted by Martin liberty View Post
    This is the first time I’ve welded aluminum. So there’s still a lot I need to learn about it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...65adc06e0e.jpg

I was welding 1/8” x 1” that I had kicking around. Pretty much every weld came out looking like that. But there where no feeding issues. I used 3/64” er4043 from a 16lb spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're pic shows what I mean. That's nice for occasional personal use but not for making money. The feed is just too inconsistent. If you raise the machine up to make the feed all downhill (like shoulder or higher) it will help a lot. You see no feeding issues and that's ALL I see!

Gee,

That's instructive feedback, Yofish, as your MIG work on aluminum boats is way-cool.

So, do you think an 8' whip might do well, too?

I am thinking about ordering a 1lb roll of 4043 and a 1lb roll of 5356 and see which one I like.
    Anybody have a couple empty 8” spools they could send me to wind a pound of wire on for testing? LOL

253DPi Mig

Thanks Yofish. I don’t want hijack this thread into a mig welding instructional but as far as inconsistent wire stick out and travel speed play into my weld looking the way it did? I ran a few more welds this afternoon and slowed down a bit and there seemed to be some improvement. I have it set on synergic single pulse 110 amps.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac44661f82.jpg

There’s still a long way for me to go before I’m welding aluminum with any confidence. I got the spool gun when I got the 253. I’ll be hooking that up next to see how that compares.

Last edited by Martin liberty; 03-27-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Good stuff!

I look forward to knowing how the comparison between the MIG gun and the Spoolgun goes.

You're not pulsing or double-pulse yet then, right?

It was on single pulse.

Yeah,

I thought I saw some subtle ripple in there.

Still a little hot?

Maybe a smaller wire would help?

But, it's been many years since I've MIG'd anything.
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-27-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LFarms View Post
    I am thinking about ordering a 1lb roll of 4043 and a 1lb roll of 5356 and see which one I like.
    Anybody have a couple empty 8” spools they could send me to wind a pound of wire on for testing? LOL
    If you go to the Weld-Kote website you can buy an inexpensive adaptor to run 1-2# spools on a large spindle..

I know this machine is capable of Tig looking welds with Mig speeds. Try to get there. Not yet what I'm seeing in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin liberty View Post
    Thanks Yofish. I don’t want hijack this thread into a mig welding instructional but as far as inconsistent wire stick out and travel speed play into my weld looking the way it did? I ran a few more welds this afternoon and slowed down a bit and there seemed to be some improvement. I have it set on synergic single pulse 110 amps.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac44661f82.jpg

There’s still a long way for me to go before I’m welding aluminum with any confidence. I got the spool gun when I got the 253. I’ll be hooking that up next to see how that compares.

Heck, I didn't even know you weren't the OP! I've never worried about hijacks as I always assume we are here to learn or distribute knowledge.

You are WAY too hot and the run is monstrously wide vis-a-vis the base. Try this: keep your settings the same and do not attempt any wiggles; a straight shot down the groove.

Your confidence will be rather greatly bolstered by using the spool gun, that is, if it's worth a crap. You see, the biggest problem with push only is that you are essentially 'pushing on a string!' What happens is the wire, coming off the spool, is essentially a long spring - a helix form - and thus it's feed can be greatly influenced by things like: gun angle, crud build-up in the liner, tip condition and temperature of the assembly. The 'second drive' obviates (mostly) these problems. This pushing is all fine and dandy with steel wire, with AL, not so much especially with a soft wire. Even with a push-pull one will encounter the WTF! wire wiggles where it will spin around oddly off the contact tip.

Keep at it and post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I know this machine is capable of Tig looking welds with Mig speeds. Try to get there. Not yet what I'm seeing in this thread.
    IMO, there are NO TIG-like looking MIG welds with AL. They are two entirely different processes and that is reflected in their appearance. Here is the (more or less) the best I can do with MIG at my age. They are in no way TIG-like even though some might think that. Everyone must get over the MIG-LIKE-TIG, it's a phantasm.

Think about it: wire (uncontrollable after setting) and voltage (uncontrollable after setting) with MIG, vs, TIG with which with BOTH are controllable after arc initiation. On top of that, AL MIG is shot full with hydrogen bubbles, rather affecting appearance. Starts and stops much different. So on, so forth.

Now, having said that, I've seen some remarkable MIG-LIKE-TIG on steel. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Am I ranting?

Name:  migtig.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  63.5 KB

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Yofish,

Double pulse does create well defined ripples like TIG if it is set and operated properly.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Yeah,

These new pulsed MIG units for aluminum are just plain cool, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    If you go to the Weld-Kote website you can buy an inexpensive adaptor to run 1-2# spools on a large spindle..
    Thanks! I found it on Amazon.
    Anyway, I wish I knew someone who knows pulse mig welding that could come show me what this machine can do.
    I don’t really have any need to mig aluminum, but I can’t stand having a tool (toy) that does something cool without at least trying it out.

Yeah,

This new DP units seem to push .045, in 4043, but which may be too hot for 1/8" stuff.

Maybe it'll push .035 in 5356 or 4043 too, for 1/8" stuff. Or maybe that'll be too challenging for a standard length MIG whip?

It's a fun time, regardless, to me, to have these topics emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Yofish,

Double pulse does create well defined ripples like TIG if it is set and operated properly.
    I'd like to see that because I never have. I've seen examples but to me, they don't look like TIG. I'm always ready to eat my words, especially using 5356. The closest thing I've ever seen was produced by the guy I started welding with using the globular transfer method (AL). Now, find me someone that actually knows how to THAT these days! That was back in the 70's using a Miller 200A machine with a Hobart Linear gun which, probably had the best consistent feed of any gun I've ever used if you ignored all the other drawbacks...

Well,

Feast your eyes, Yofish, as this is the best example I've seen of TIG-like aluminum using double-pulse. Of course, this Fronius unit with the push-pull gun is probably a 10K setup.

Gee,

I just noticed in the Everlast text description that, "When welding aluminum, the standard gun works well, but an optional spool gun or push-pull gun can be used to feed wire from .030" to .062" in diameter."

But, that there's apparently some U-groove drive rolls as an option.

And, wow, it'll be cool to see one of these new DP MIG units rockin' a push-pull gun, too.

All good news, to me!

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...r-i-mig-253dpi

Name:  U-Rolls.jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  40.3 KB
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-31-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Sorry, close but no banana..Notice that they chickened out by NOT showing results of uphill and overhead. Yeah, it comes close but anyone that's a user could see the difference. Now, that's not to say that there is 'goodness' in there somewhere. Certainly less smut. And for me, not worth the dough because I've heard a push-pull is north of 10k.

Yeah,

Undoutedly, this latest Everlast DP unit will do nearly, or, as much as that Fronius unit with a push-pull gun, for far less dough.

But we're just going to have to wait till somebody does a video demo of each method with it on double-pulse: plain MIG gun, Spoolgun, and Push-Pull gun.

In the meanwhile, Fronius has their video demo for all to see right now.

Otherwise, Topwell has a DP, 250 amp MIG unit selling on Amazon, which in on a rolling chassis that is priced similarly to this Everlast 253DPi, but no real support for it in N.A.

To me, this Everlast currently has no real competition.

There is the double-pulse HTP ProPulse200, which seems brilliant. But it's a 200 amp unit, which is priced well, I think.

HTP reportedly has a 300 amp double-pulse unit coming to market soon. But that still skips over the 250 amp unit market, I think.

So, I'm really diggin' how this unit is in a unique niche right now, at a nice value, too.

Rock On, Everlast!
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-31-2018 at 03:12 PM.

There should be a greater seperation between units than 50 amps.

Also google Thermal Arc or Lorch 320 SP. Digital Synergic that can be set up like a tig welder only with Mig. (I own one.) The Rronius guy was welding about 1.5 pulses per second. If he would have slowed his travel a little he could have had a little more space between his stacks and they would have been a little thicker. You can run 4043 or 5356 with nearly the same look and vertical up and overhead is a non issue. I wish someone in the upper midwest would buy one of these Everlast units because I'd love to run it. I have smart guns and pythons for my unit and yes you are looking at 7K with 100 pre programed programs plus smart mig. Lincoln and Miller are way behind.

Our push pulk gun is 1200 to add.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

So I burned up some 3/64” 4043 and 5356 today playing around with a couple 1/4” thick coupons of 6061. Both wires fed very well with the 1.2mm U groove rollers. I didn’t have any feeding problems at all. I did end up melting my tip and so I quit for the day.
    I got the 5356 to run ok I guess, but there was more soot than I thought there should be.
    Plate was scotch brighter with a new pad, wire brushed with a new stainless brush and wiped down with acetone. I don’t think things could be any cleaner.
    Argon was about 25cfh. I tried to keep about 3/8” stick out with the tip recessed about 1/8”. I found I got the best looking beads holding the gun at 90degrees. Otherwise I got more soot and the nozzle collected spatter.

First stringer with inductance set low. Gun at nearly 90 degrees right to left. It started cold, but flattened out.
    Name:  93344DDD-5283-4282-85AC-683039A6E6C6.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  116.6 KB

Second bead with inductance turned up. Piece was cooled off and area cleaned again. I liked the looks of this one better. Once cleaned off, it doesn’t look too bad.
    Name:  77DAA43E-FE64-4CE5-ABDF-F7D0FB91786F.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  118.3 KB

Welder settings were as follows:
    Double pulse mig
    .045 wire
    5356 AL
    4T trigger
    Preflow .4 seconds
    Inductance set to 8
    Peak 220
    Pulse freq 1.8 hz
    190A and -0.2V. (It doesn’t tell me the voltage, just wether I’m + or - of the synergic setting)
    End Amps 120 and 0.0V
    Burnback .20 seconds
    Burnback voltage 0.0 v

I ran some 4043 as well starting with the same settings, but I was getting some visible porosity and more soot and some of the welds cracked. Since I don’t plan on mig-ing much AL, I am fine just keeping the 5356 on hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Everlast 253DPi
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Lincoln 180 mig

You need about 40 cfh for aluminum. Are you using pure argon?
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT