Just picked up a Hypertherm 30 (pre-XP) - need help on water/oil separator
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Just picked up a Hypertherm 30 (pre-XP) - need help on water/oil separator

Folks I ordered a Hypertherm 30 (pre-XP model) last night on eBay. It should be enroute today or tomorrow. I rarely cut over 1/4" and this looks like it would do 1/4" without issue so I am happy with the buy. The issue is my compressor is an old craftsman oiled 2 cylinder. This produces not just the typical moisture in the lines but also a oil. I'd like tips on how to clean the air before it hits my new to me hypertherm. I know there are some high dollar air cleaner/separators but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a less expensive option. Thanks all

Re: Just picked up a Hypertherm 30 (pre-XP) - need help on water/oil separator

If your compressor puts out foggy air, I'd want something like a Motor Guard filter at the plasma cutter air inlet at the very least.

I agree. Motor Guard filter is about the best way. Oil will kill your consumables. Its about $85 everywhere. (Don't use toilet paper as replacement filter it will come apart and get stuck in torch head.)

http://motorguard.com/air_2_2.html
    Last edited by Diode; 03-08-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post
    Folks I ordered a Hypertherm 30 (pre-XP model) last night on eBay. It should be enroute today or tomorrow. I rarely cut over 1/4" and this looks like it would do 1/4" without issue so I am happy with the buy. The issue is my compressor is an old craftsman oiled 2 cylinder. This produces not just the typical moisture in the lines but also a oil. I'd like tips on how to clean the air before it hits my new to me hypertherm. I know there are some high dollar air cleaner/separators but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a less expensive option. Thanks all
    I don't know anything about this type of air compressor but I know about Motorgard filters... Yes, They are very good... I use one along with a dessicant filter.

But I wouldn't be trying to blow oily air through one.... It's just gonna clog and make cleaning the filter (drying) near impossible.

I don't replace my MG filter, I just pop in another while the old one is drying out.

I'd look for a new compressor to go along with your plasma.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Tp tools in Ohio sells them don't know if there the cheapest just good service,

Go get a compressor. 5 HP generic crap from HF or Lowes or a Depot will do.

The best are oil / water coalescing filters. The motor guard will work, though check the element often (depending on moisture and oil content). Once the filter reaches a saturation point the water and oil will pass through. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks all. I should clarify that it is not pumping foggy oily air. It is just an oil lubricated compressor versus the smaller oil-less machines. Its a quiet 220V compressor that has a crankcase full of oil and as such there will be some oil content in the compressed air. Not like it leaves oil all around or even noticeable but definitely something I feel needs to be cleared out of the line. I will look into the motor guard and put one on the back of the hypertherm so when I chuck up the air its clear. Thanks guys!

All good quality piston type compressors have oil sumps, however if the compressor is in good condition it will not pump oil into your air lines. The Powermax has a small oil/water separator, and with a decent compressor and low humidity, and daily tank draining you will not have an issue. I have been running for about 17 years in my home shop with a commercial, but old 21 cfm compressor. No additional filters whatsoever and no issues with consumable life (Powermax30XP, Powermax45XP, Powermax65 and Powermax85). Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLarry View Post
    Thanks all. I should clarify that it is not pumping foggy oily air. It is just an oil lubricated compressor versus the smaller oil-less machines. Its a quiet 220V compressor that has a crankcase full of oil and as such there will be some oil content in the compressed air. Not like it leaves oil all around or even noticeable but definitely something I feel needs to be cleared out of the line. I will look into the motor guard and put one on the back of the hypertherm so when I chuck up the air its clear. Thanks guys!