Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread

My how time flies....

Well going on 4 months now, and she’s still running like a champ. I am by no means a heavy user, but I’ve averaged about 10-15 hours per week of actual arc time on the new machine and have had zero hiccups. Stick work fines, As does TIG. I’ve run some E6011 on it, and it works pretty well. It has a stick arc that’s a little on the soft side, so bear that in mind if you intend to do a bunch of stick work and like a stiff arc. This is a TIG machine first however. On the TIG side all functions work well, frequency, pulse, cleaning action, it’s all good. No complaints.

I liked my experience with this machine enough that I went and got the 215 MIG unit too.

Certainly satisfied.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how these machines are holding up since you really do not hear all that much about them on the forums.

The
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh31909 View Post
    Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how these machines are holding up since you really do not hear all that much about them on the forums.
    Certainly! If anyone has any questions you can ask them here and I’ll do my best to answer. These machines strike a good balance of quality and price, and for folks that are strapped for cash, or those just getting into welding but not comfortable throwing down a pile on a red or blue box, this is a good option. The equipment is good enough that it shouldn’t be outgrown by the majority of home/hobbyist/project weldors, it’s a good option. HF biggest hurdle with these I’m sure was overcoming their reputation for cheap disposable products, in my own opinion I do not feel that either of my two Vulcans fit that description.

I don’t think people talk about them a lot because they’re relatively new on the market, and the stigma of owning a Harbor Freight product. Personally I don’t care.. I can’t see the machine when my hood is down and the weld is going in, when I lift my hood and the product of my effort is good I’m happy. If people want to laugh at my machine, and theirs doesn’t produce a better bead, who really is the one laughing? Me. Why? Because we both put down identical weld beads but his cost per weld is higher because he purchased his machine for $2100 with rebate. I got mine for under a grand. Lol but that’s just me, some folks are more concerned with vanity than I am.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    The

Certainly! If anyone has any questions you can ask them here and I’ll do my best to answer. These machines strike a good balance of quality and price, and for folks that are strapped for cash, or those just getting into welding but not comfortable throwing down a pile on a red or blue box, this is a good option. The equipment is good enough that it shouldn’t be outgrown by the majority of home/hobbyist/project weldors, it’s a good option. HF biggest hurdle with these I’m sure was overcoming their reputation for cheap disposable products, in my own opinion I do not feel that either of my two Vulcans fit that description.

I don’t think people talk about them a lot because they’re relatively new on the market, and the stigma of owning a Harbor Freight product. Personally I don’t care.. I can’t see the machine when my hood is down and the weld is going in, when I lift my hood and the product of my effort is good I’m happy. If people want to laugh at my machine, and theirs doesn’t produce a better bead, who really is the one laughing? Me. Why? Because we both put down identical weld beads but his cost per weld is higher because he purchased his machine for $2100 with rebate. I got mine for under a grand. Lol but that’s just me, some folks are more concerned with vanity than I am.
    I have both the ProTig 200 and MigMax 215, and although I have not used them much, they seem to be good machine for the price. I don't get that 'cheap Chinese' feel from them. Although I cannot substantiate it, I did hear that HF hired an ex-Lincoln Electric engineer to design them.

My only concern would be how to get them repaired should one of the boards go out, or more accurately, would we be able to get replacement boards so that we can swap them ourselves should something happen outside of the warranty period.

Also, to be taken with a grain of salt, I was talking to one of the cashiers at a HF store and she said they have been selling quite a few of them and only had one come back for DOA.

Getting them repaired after warranty will have the same odds as getting a red or blue machine repaired out of warranty slim to none, exceeds the cost of replacement, I said it before some people spend 1k on a phone that is worthless in a year or two and I got blasted by people,with a three year warranty the pro tig works out to less than a dollar a day if it's junk in 3 years,

Looking into this Tig for a bit now. I am an experienced mig welder and have even done aluminum with a spoolgun with great results. My question is, I plan on using for strictly aluminum anodized tubing and was told I would need a finger button torch for maneuverability. Anybody used this tig for this application with good reults or would I need a higher amperage model tig? Also, anyone rigged up a torch cooler to this machine yet? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcnucs View Post
    Looking into this Tig for a bit now. I am an experienced mig welder and have even done aluminum with a spoolgun with great results. My question is, I plan on using for strictly aluminum anodized tubing and was told I would need a finger button torch for maneuverability. Anybody used this tig for this application with good reults or would I need a higher amperage model tig? Also, anyone rigged up a torch cooler to this machine yet? Thanks
    I have been pondering your post for a bit. The ProTig does not have adjustable high frequency start, it has capacitor discharge start at 25amps for some milliseconds. You can adjust balance to help break and lift off the anodize at full 200 amps but IDK. As far as the finger controller SSC controls make a 4 step finger controller that works really good. Since they make the foot control the connector is available if you ask them to build one. Then you can ramp the amps up to full, floor the finger control and it may do what you want.

HTP/usa weld can probably rig you up the dinse connector to water cool a ProTig. It uses the same argon flow thru dinse as Lincoln.

Lastly if you just can't get it to perform the way you want, you have a year satisfaction guaranty to get your money back from Harbor Freight. Just make sure you buy it from Harbor Freight preferably at their store and preserve the reciepts.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

FWIW, AvE just bought one of these and featured it in one of his recent videos. I hope he does a tear down video on it like he did for the MigMax machine.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster