Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Vulcan Pro-tig 200 thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. The idea of the thermal cutout is to prevent (hopefully) the machine from catastrophic failure from overheating. But even that will only work if the sensor is working and the system is designed so that the sensor signals shutdown before any component is above rated failure temps. There are a lot of factors that can effect that. And I doubt any company wants the thermal cutoff set too close to the duty cycle, which could cause nuisance shutdowns and customer complaints.

The duty cycle rating is supposed to keep components from getting to unsafe temps in the first place. Electronic components can have drastically reduced life when operated above nominal temps. Capacitors, for example, have a rule of thumb of half the life expectancy for every 10*C increase in operating temp. So for example, say a certain capacitor won't outright fail until it reaches 105C. It would still have half the operating life if run at 90C vs. 80C. And 1/4 life compared to operating at 70C, etc. Heat kills electronics.

And remember, duty cycle is a percent of 10 minutes, so low duty cycles can easily be exceeded even if you aren't welding continuously. If you weld for a minute, stop for a minute, weld for a minute, stop for a minute, weld for another minute, you've just exceeded a 25% duty cycle. Even though you had a minute of time between each minute of welding, you welded for three minutes out of the last 5. Even if you paused for the next five minutes you still are at 30% duty cycle for those ten minutes. If you only paused four minutes then welded for another minute, you would be at 40% duty cycle, as you've welded for four minutes out of the last ten.

Just something to keep in mind.
    Good to point out, I’ll admit that I thought that the temp light/the machine somehow limited duty cycle via operation. I’ve never had it come on, but see nw that duty cycle isn’t necessarily related to the temp light.

I’ll be more cognizant for how long I’ve welded, cumulatively, and be sure to observe proper rest periods.

Yeah it’s a bummer about the machine failing, I definitely think it was a Cap that blew, sounded like a .22 shot. No magic smoke though. Hopefully I can get this resolved, just not have any luck with welders. My Everlast had a mysterious TIG problem, and this one is dead in the water.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Well, I just can’t seem to catch a break..

Fired the ProTig up to practice, in the middle of placing some tacks with the Tig Torch I hear a very load *pop* machine shuts down. Breaker tripped - Reset. Machine is dead.

Harbor Freight won’t Guarantee it -purchased through an online retailer. Have to have Proof of Purchase in the Harbor Freight Network. Keep that in mind, if you go to purchase one.

Tried to get to the boards to see if it was a bad capacitor, they’ve made it all but inaccessible. A billion screws, Cowlings, glued connections everywhere.. bah.

So tommorow, I get to see who; if anyone will be able to repair it, and then if it’s going to be reasonable. Fun.
    That is a bummer man. Can I ask who you bought it from? I see Walmart is marketing them for bookoo bucks.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

2 machines that I had blow the main caps (infancy failure) gave of a ton of magic smoke. My whole garage was a cloud of white smoke
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    That is a bummer man. Can I ask who you bought it from? I see Walmart is marketing them for bookoo bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    2 machines that I had blow the main caps (infancy failure) gave of a ton of magic smoke. My whole garage was a cloud of white smoke
    Bought it from an Ebay tool retailer, new sealed in box. Expected Harbor Freight, who is not just the retailer but the manufacturer as well, to honor their guarantee with some* proof of purchase, and with enough circumstantial evidence that I purchased it new. But, foolish me(I was actually hedging my bets that it probably wouldn’t fail).

No magic smoke, just a really loud pop, and a thrown breaker. Resulting in a non working welder. No display, indicator lights, fan, nada. Dead.

Emailed them, got the response back today. Was thinking that they’d connect me with a service department, but just said we can send your problem to the branch manager responsible in your area, in the form of a store complaint.

We’ll see how that goes, they’ll probably end up citing their fine print again.

I still believe it’s a good deal for a complete AC/DC TIG/Stick Package, just be sure to purchase directly from Harbor Freight as the One year Guarantee is a large part of what makes it a good deal.

If you don’t have a receipt from them, and/or it doesn’t show up in their computer you’ll be sent out the door with your broken welder.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 06-07-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

What about returning it to the Ebay seller? Ebay is pretty good about forcing a retailer to refund if the deal doesn't turn out as expected. Maybe mention that to the retailer.

That Ebay seller should be able to return it to his local store for exchange. He might provide you a replacement for shipping cost alone.

Did he make any sort of claim in his Ebay listing like 'new in box guaranteed to work'?
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Just an Update:

After some back and forth with Harbor Freight, I was finally able to get another unit. Naturally any retail store is going to be a pain without proof of purchase *from their store*, but I was able to win the day after speaking with, and presenting my case to someone who actually had some actionable authority. My case was that they, the manufacturer of this product give a 1year risk free trial, and I had a proof of purchase(so what it was bought outside of their store, they still made money on the unit I had). The problem was obviously a manufacturing defect in materials, or workmanship. Ultimately this couldn’t be refuted by them.

New unit works fine out of the box, hopefully I’ll get more than a month of service from her.

Again, if you decide to buy one of these, buy it direct from Harbor Freight Tools, save your paper receipt, and elect to have a digital copy sent to you as well. If you have a problem under those conditions I’m sure you’ll be well taken care of. Otherwise, be prepared for a debacle.

After having the problem I did, I’d suggest ponying up the extra dough for the extended warranty. I don’t say that lightly, as for most things I think it’s a scam to part consumers from more of their cash. In the case of the ProTig 200 it’s one of the few items I’d say definitely is worth it. The price for time protected isn’t all that much, and from my encounter they don’t have the smoothest technical support system, so a warranty swap is your best bet should something go wrong.

I like the welder, and the price I payed for it. It packs a lot per dollar spent. Hopefully I just got a bad egg, and the early failure of my last unit isn’t indicitive of the quality of these welders in general.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 06-11-2018 at 02:32 AM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Beginner here with Tig, few years experience with Mig. What size tank of Argon is best for a hobbiest? Does this welder work ok with argon/helium mixtures? I understand that may require a high frequency start?

Also can anyone recommend brand/model/part numbers for recommended consumables - rod, electrodes, lenses, anything else I might need for mild steel and aluminum? I’m not looking to do anything exotic. Just learn Tig with the most forgiving/compatible stuff. Later I’ll branch out and experiment.

Buy the biggest argon tank you can afford/move around. I have a 125cf bottle, it’s about to be swapped. Bigger bottles are cheaper per volume to fill, and they also hold more so you’ll be driving them to the gas store less.

I have not tried AR/HE yet, but don’t think you’d have any problems running it, just like any other TIG machine.

This machine does ONLY high frequency start, it is a necessity when it comes to aluminum, works well for steel, stainless etc too. Unless you’re working on something where HF interference is a problem, you’re good to go.

Consumables go by torch size for TIG, the Vulcan comes with a 17 series torch, so any 17 series consumables, brand name, or generic will work

Lots of info on selecting gear for TIG out there. Get a decent Auto darkening hood, some 2% lanthanated tungsten in 3/32” and 1/16”. Start watching videos, and reading threads. Practice what you see and read.

Have fun!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Buy the biggest argon tank you can afford/move around. I have a 125cf bottle, it’s about to be swapped. Bigger bottles are cheaper per volume to fill, and they also hold more so you’ll be driving them to the gas store less.

I have not tried AR/HE yet, but don’t think you’d have any problems running it, just like any other TIG machine.

This machine does ONLY high frequency start, it is a necessity when it comes to aluminum, works well for steel, stainless etc too. Unless you’re working on something where HF interference is a problem, you’re good to go.

Consumables go by torch size for TIG, the Vulcan comes with a 17 series torch, so any 17 series consumables, brand name, or generic will work

Lots of info on selecting gear for TIG out there. Get a decent Auto darkening hood, some 2% lanthanated tungsten in 3/32” and 1/16”. Start watching videos, and reading threads. Practice what you see and read.

Have fun!
    ^^^^What he said. It work fine with adding helium provided the argon is the majority. Too much helium and the arc has a hard time starting. This welder uses capacitor discharge for start and likes a dense gas for starting.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

I just put the 12.5 ft Vulcan torch and power cable on a Dynasty 350 DX.

Thanks guys.

Can anyone who has a PROTIG 200 comment on what the pre and post-flow times are? They don't appear to be configurable and I'm curious as to what they're implemented as.

Quote Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
    Can anyone who has a PROTIG 200 comment on what the pre and post-flow times are? They don't appear to be configurable and I'm curious as to what they're implemented as.
    The post flow is synergic to the amps set on the display. The post flow range is exactly the same as the Lincoln SW200, which is 8 seconds at the low, to 18 seconds at the high.

Just an Update:

After some back and forth with Harbor Freight, I was finally able to get another unit. Naturally any retail store is going to be a pain without proof of purchase *from their store*, but I was able to win the day after speaking with, and presenting my case to someone who actually had some actionable authority. My case was that they, the manufacturer of this product give a 1year risk free trial, and I had a proof of purchase(so what it was bought outside of their store, they still made money on the unit I had). The problem was obviously a manufacturing defect in materials, or workmanship. Ultimately this couldn’t be refuted by them.

New unit works fine out of the box, hopefully I’ll get more than a month of service from her.

Again, if you decide to buy one of these, buy it direct from Harbor Freight Tools, save your paper receipt, and elect to have a digital copy sent to you as well. If you have a problem under those conditions I’m sure you’ll be well taken care of. Otherwise, be prepared for a debacle.

After having the problem I did, I’d suggest ponying up the extra dough for the extended warranty. I don’t say that lightly, as for most things I think it’s a scam to part consumers from more of their cash. In the case of the ProTig 200 it’s one of the few items I’d say definitely is worth it. The price for time protected isn’t all that much, and from my encounter they don’t have the smoothest technical support system, so a warranty swap is your best bet should something go wrong.

I like the welder, and the price I payed for it. It packs a lot per dollar spent. Hopefully I just got a bad egg, and the early failure of my last unit isn’t indicitive of the quality of these welders in general.
    Congratulations man. Hopefully this is the end of your bad luck with welders. So now that you got your replacement welder from HF, does that mean it will be a straight forward process incase-god forbid-anything happens to the welder in the future and that you don't have to deal with these shenanigans again?

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    Congratulations man. Hopefully this is the end of your bad luck with welders. So now that you got your replacement welder from HF, does that mean it will be a straight forward process incase-god forbid-anything happens to the welder in the future and that you don't have to deal with these shenanigans again?
    That it does, I have the receipt in hand, and my purchase on file in their electronic record. So as you said if (god-forbid) this one has any issues, I’ll get a fresh unit no qualms.

She’s working well so far. Here’s hoping it stays that way!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Just an Update:

I have to say, that you should definitely give HF the thumbs up and some praise for how they handled it. They did not really had to honor anything if you bought from ebay, because HF have their own online store to do the same. HF could not possibly know how that person that bought it from them handled the item, or how he shipped it, or even if he used, cleaned, repacked and then sold it to you. If the ebay store is not directly from HF then they should have no responsibility. Most manufacturers would NOT honor their warranties by ebay if the seller is not an approved manufacturer vendor, which a lot of then at ebay are not. So, glad you got your machine exchanged but you got lucky and kudos to HF for doing it. I personally would not buy HF from Ebay and use the HF website instead.

I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Vulcan ProTig for about a month now. This thread helped me get comfortable with purchasing it. My fear I guess, was that 20 years ago in school, I was welding on machines that were probably 20 years old as well. The machines were all the size of a Honda Civic. At that time, my dad bought a 110v HFT wire welder that wouldn't penetrate tin foil, so in my head I have this belief that the smaller inverter welders will only work on like sheet metal, so I was oddly excited when the ProTig blew a hole in a piece of 1/8" stock I was playing with. My junior/senior years of high school were basically welding with a few other classes in the way, but that was about 20 years ago. I'm both surprised at what I remember but also at how much I've forgotten but I'm finally getting back some of what I forgot.

I'm happy with the machine so far, but it's frustrating since I have this fear that there's a problem with the machine being Harbor Freight, because I know that I know what I'm doing and this has to work. When in reality, I don't remember as much as I thought, and I'm the cause of the problem. I've been able to TIG weld thin, and thick steel, and so far have only stick welded 7014 with it. Stick is like riding a bicycle. I have some 1/4" aluminum scrap that I ran a few beads on, at a 45 deg uphill slope. Nothing to brag about, and it did take a second for it to start, but it worked just fine it seems. A big part of the problem I had at the start was the wrong gas. I remembered from my studies that most of your inert gasses can be used, each with a different characteristic. SO... I started out with the Co2 that I had on hand, and basically spent an untold amount of time trying to get it to weld. It would NOT start at all, though I learned eventually that it would lift start with Co2 and generate a passable bead with modest penetration, then I looked into it, and realized that I was thinking about MIG. I finally made it to the local welding supply on a weekday and picked up a bottle of pure Argon, and wow, what a difference. Suddenly I had HF start, like what I expected. I started making a video about it for my YouTube channel, but put that on ice while I figure out what I'm doing. I just finished making a cart for it yesterday, and I'm out of gas now. I'll get more this week, and get back to practicing with it, to get back what I've forgotten. I somehow broke the long tube on the torch and ordered a new one online last night. My current fear or frustration now, is trying to learn the details, nomenclature, or whatever about the torch. I want to know other than "Lincoln" what parts/torches I can get. I'd rather buy just the parts that I want and need, instead of getting the standard bulk pack of parts from HFT, which are most likely not what I need. Like the long tube right now. I don't need all of the cups and difusers too.Name:  20180805_180235.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  93.5 KB
    Vulcan ProTig 200
    Lincoln ProMig 175
    Hobart AirForce 27i plasma cutter

What is your YouTube channel name?

Clandestine, look at CK torches... nearly everyone will say the same. They are awesome, especially with the superflex hoses!

I got the CK TrimLine flexhead because I needed a 200A Torch(frequently max my ProTig 200 out on 3/8 steel) but I wanted to keep the form factor to a 17 series torch. 26 Series are freakin huge. I love it! The factory torch is like wrestling a rubber python in comparison, AND my torch stays much cooler, even at 200A.

Next torch will be another CK, but it will be smaller, for finesse welding probably a 9 series with stubby gas kit. That’s another thing, get a stubby gas lens kit, they are sweet!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Is it possible to "rig" a finger controller (instead of foot pedal) to a Vulcan Pro Tig 200?
    Tks Gents
    ed

Quote Originally Posted by outsider347 View Post
    Is it possible to "rig" a finger controller (instead of foot pedal) to a Vulcan Pro Tig 200?
    Tks Gents
    ed
    Contact tigcontrol.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Tks Gents
    ed
    Or 6061.com. Aaron posts on here once in a while.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Aaron said "nope"

Tks Gents
    ed
    SSC controls should be able to do it. I have the same type of 4 step finger controllers on my Miller Dynasty and LincolnSW200. They make pedals for the Vulcan, so they have the 9 pin connectors to attach to the finger amptrol. They say call them if you don't see yours listed.

https://www.ssccontrols.com/product/touch4/

Anymore feedback from owners of this kit? I think I’m going to get one.