How to get notified of any new thread? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How to get notified of any new thread?

Bill who is your email provider? The issue is not on our end, it's on yours, and I would point to your email provider blocking emails from WW. Try gmail?

I'm a professional software developer & white hat hacker. I break into corporate sites under contract to test their security. I understand the technology. It is not on my end. I get regular mail from your site, but no subscription mail - explain that.

My email domain is hosted by Google. I get mail from all over the world, a lot of it spam. I run my own firewalls and servers and never have issues with not getting mail.

Can you peruse your email logs for SMTP traffic headed to my domain name to show that your side is issuing emails for subscriptions?
    To my knowledge, I own:
    50% of all the plasma cutters,
    33% of all the TIG welders and
    20% of all the MIG welders on the island.

I own 1 of each.

ok, i apologize for assuming it was your email provider. If you're getting subscriptions but not forum subs that seems very odd. What settings do you have in your userCP subscriptions area?

I can't look at those logs without a lot of hoops being jumped through unfortunately

I am NOT getting forum traffic subscription notifications but am getting regular email notifications for threads that I'm a party to.

Because of the recent activity on this thread, just today, I unsubscribed and re-subscribed to several forums using the drop down per forum. During that activity, the drop down clearly showed I was previously subscribed because the option to unsubscribe was the only one available. After unsubscribing, I chose to "subscribe" which was now an available option and selected the daily email notification option offered.

I don't know when your system outputs a daily subscriber notification blast so lets wait 2 days to see if this situation changes. I doubt it will since I did the same thing several months ago on more than one occasion and NEVER got any forum activity notifications.

If my profile has some switch that needs activation, please let me know which one. I've never tinkered with the profile past adding some information on myself. As a software developer, I would expect the author of your application to trigger any switches in my profile required to activate my intentions by subscribing to a forum, so I doubt there's anything in the profile to block my stated intention to the app to start getting forum traffic notifications; that's just common programmer sense.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

If I were the local tech trying to figure out what's going on with this notification mystery, here's what I would do:

I'd get the admin console of your app to supply me with a list of every person subscribed to a particular forum expecting new traffic notifications.
    From that list, I'd get their email addresses.
    Then I'd interrogate the SMTP logs of your email server looking for an email to each one of those email addresses during the time slot allocated for distributing the notifications.
    There would probably be a group of email addresses getting notifications and another group not getting notifications provable from the SMTP logs.
    The bulk of what I just described can be automated with scripts if the tech is on the ball. Doing it manually one by one would be a real chore.

Then I'd look at the two groups to see what's different in how your app sees them.

Just trying to help.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Robb M:

At 6:02 PM I got a notification of a new thread in the Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear forum. This has never happened before.

Maybe I'll get notifications for the other forums I subscribed to.

I didn't mention it in my previous posts, but many months ago when I tried this numerous times, I don't remember getting an option for how to receive notifications. This time, I was surprised when an additional set of options was presented and I picked daily email. I don't recall that secondary set of options in a drop down list being presented previously. For every forum I un-subscribed and then subscribed, that additional drop down of 3 options was presented and I always picked daily email.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

It sure isn't my email provider either. I get some messages, usually days late but sure don't get them for all subscribed threads of in a timely fashoion at least 80% of the time. I do rarely get timely notices though.
    Lance R

2012 Miller Bobcat 225
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Lincoln LN-25
    Torch set

Quote Originally Posted by LanceR View Post
    It sure isn't my email provider either. I get some messages, usually days late but sure don't get them for all subscribed threads of in a timely fashoion at least 80% of the time. I do rarely get timely notices though.
    Post time: 9:20. email time: 9:20. Not sure what to say.

LanceR: I received no other notifications for the other forums I resubscribed to. I manually checked those forums and I should have received numerous notifications. It's possibly a start up timing issue and another day will either confirm that or rule it out.

However, maybe we are starting to see a pattern to the issue. I'm going to try an experiment over the course of many days to see if a software bug related to timing could be responsible. I can't prove anything, but testing will provide a confidence factor to my suspicion.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Robb M:

FYI - tonight, again at 6:02 I got notified of activity in the "Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear" forum.

I went to the "General Welding Questions" forum and unsubscribed and resubscribed just like I did for the "Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear" forum the other day. I'll see if tomorrow I get notified of activity in that forum and if the notifications for the "Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear" forum stays consistent.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Thanks Bill. Got the forum subscription email at 802 and the post email at 812.

Robb M:

Only got notified for the "Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear" forum at 6:02. It's been working fine. Nothing came in about new threads in the "General Welding Questions" forum.

I was very careful subscribing and picking options. If notifications for all forums go out at about the same time, then I think the app has a bug. I show I'm subscribed to several forums, but only one is working. I can't think of any other experiments I could run as a user.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.