Metal Band Saws
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal Band Saws

Metal Band Saws

I am now looking around at band saws.I am not a professional but just a metal hobbyist.I looked at Harbor Freights, Eastwoods, and finally Northern tools,Klutch. All three are very similar in HP and the basic design. Basically they all look the same to me. Are there major differences? A while back I purchased a Evolution Rage 4 but this has limits regarding the size material it is able to handle.Anyway if anyone has opinions, let's hear it, Thanks, Ken

Re: Metal Band Saws

Pick a color. They all need "the tune up" to cut "right"..whatever that means. Guys buy these things and expect them to cut "machinist quality". They're fine for welding cuts......if you can stand the s---l---o---w. I gave mine to a girl that makes art. I had the red one. If I were to buy another(I wont) I'd get a 1600 Ellis for the miter to cut bundled fence-gate pickets
    EDIT. The Jet seems to have the best paint.

Metal Band Saws

Get a grizzly band saw - I have one and it’s really good with miters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000M...Q4L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mpower; 03-18-2018 at 03:40 PM.

I vote for ELLIS 1600 if you can afford it.

How much floor space or bench top space do you have to commit to the saw?
    What is your budget?

Check Craigslist religiously. I picked up a professional model Wellsaw 1000 for $600. I can cut approximately 9" pipes or cylinders with it.

Once you have a bandsaw you will wonder why you didn't get one earlier. It will make life a lot easier and more efficient. Set the saw, turn on, go do something else and listen for the saw to stop or piece to drop. You will really like having one and again, wonder why you didn't get it earlier. Kind of like a lathe (cough, cough, BD1, cough, cough).
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Depends on how much cutting you plan to do as a hobbyist and what size material you plan to work with.

I get by with a harbor freight portable saw as a hobbyist. I built a little frame for it so I can use it horizontally or vertically without any modification to the saw.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...21#post8494721

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    .I looked at Harbor Freights, Eastwoods, and finally Northern tools,Klutch. All three are very similar in HP and the basic design.
    Of course they all look similar....

They are all chinese or similar junk.

will they work? sure...

will they last? Phuck NO.

"make China great again"
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    just a metal hobbyist.
    I’m just a hobbyist too. I read somewhere to maintain your hobby status you have to buy an Ellis 1800 saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I’m just a hobbyist too. I read somewhere to maintain your hobby status you have to buy an Ellis 1800 saw.
    And just how often would a "Hobbyist" have to do dishes, take out garbage, do laundry, paint the house, mop the floors, etc, etc, to convince the "Boss" that he "needs it"?

My Ellis 3000 has quickly become one of my favorite tools. My chopsaw is pretty much reserved now for aluminum work with a carbide blade.

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    How much floor space or bench top space do you have to commit to the saw?
    What is your budget?

Check Craigslist religiously. I picked up a professional model Wellsaw 1000 for $600. I can cut approximately 9" pipes or cylinders with it.

Once you have a bandsaw you will wonder why you didn't get one earlier. It will make life a lot easier and more efficient. Set the saw, turn on, go do something else and listen for the saw to stop or piece to drop. You will really like having one and again, wonder why you didn't get it earlier. Kind of like a lathe (cough, cough, BD1, cough, cough).
    Sure rub it in PAT! Actually there's one I looked at for MJD that's he's buying.
    I gotta sell more stuff. I'm a old retired fart.

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    And just how often would a "Hobbyist" have to do dishes, take out garbage, do laundry, paint the house, mop the floors, etc, etc, to convince the "Boss" that he "needs it"?
    My boss is OK with anything I buy, as long as I get all my chores done first.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

The little 4x6s are clones of the Rong Fu 128. They been around since 1979. I have an early '80s one I recently bought for $100. With the amount of use it gets, just hobby use, it should last another 30 or 40 years. It was in good shape when I got it. They guy before me restored cars. I had a $50 TWS one before. It was really worn out when I got it, it still did me for a few years. I learned what failed and have modified this one a little. I added a pipe plug to the gearbox and used diff oil.

All bandsaws require tune ups if you want a square cut. Thin stuff is better cut with an abrasive chop saw .

The entry level 4x6 horizontal band saws are all made in the same factory in China. Buy the cheapest one. I have a harbor freight and love it.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

All bandsaws require tune ups if you want a square cut.
    I must have gotten lucky...the only thing I have ever done to my HF was put a bimetal blade on it.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I can’t remember how old my Ellis is. But I haven’t touched it, other than replace the blades. Still cuts OK, I guess.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

CEP what hobby blades are you running on da beast ?

I buy 10 or 12 at a time. Here is a fairly new blade that broke. I Tig welded it back together with 312 stainless.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Name:  IMG_0649.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  79.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0647.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  74.5 KB

Look into one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Sure rub it in PAT! Actually there's one I looked at for MJD that's he's buying.
    I gotta sell more stuff. I'm a old retired fart.
    Sure, spill the beans. You actually need one, you have to spend that retirement money somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I must have gotten lucky...the only thing I have ever done to my HF was put a bimetal blade on it.
    My HF has also been great so far. When I changed the blade to a nice bimetal, I did adjust the roller guides to make it cut square and straight, and drilled the clamp fence for a pin at 90deg and 45deg to eliminate adjustment time.

I got this one from Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-x-...vel-Head/G9742

Pretty happy with it within it's limitations. If I had the money and needed to use it for production cutting, yes I would go for an Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    IMO it all depends on what you buy the "boss" first. So it must be of equal or greater value to be an acceptable offer.

I have looked at these saws and find many differences.The original was made by the Spunger Tool CO.Their price was 600 bucks.Sprunger failed and china companys copied the saw.I paid 125 bucks for my saw.It has cut plenty of steel for me.Grizzly does stock parts.

[QUOTE=M J D;8602684]Sure, spill the beans. You actually need one, you have to spend that retirement money somewhere.[/QUOTE

Hey, you better be nice. I might just go it , keep it for me , AND keep your deposit too smarty pants.