Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

Long time lurker first time poster. Apparently the inverters have gone out in my 225LX for the second time and the quoted repair cost is $500 + shipping both ways. With the shipping, total cost is going to be around $700.

Ive had my 225LX for about 7 years with three of that being stationed overseas with the welder not in use. Its obviously out of the five year warranty period. Before and after being stationed overseas, I have used the welder somewhat regularly (maybe once a week) for around an hour or two at a time. This is the second time that I have had this exact issue but the last repair was covered under warranty. Has anyone had similar issues with inverters on these units?

My concern is that the repair only comes with a 30 day warranty. If it fails within that 30 days I am pretty sure I would be out of shipping both ways yet again. If it fails outside of that 30 day window then it would end up being a total loss.

Anyway, to my question, I am curious if there is either a third party repair facility that may be recommended or a different machine with similar specs I could put my $700 into. I know some of these lesser known brands have come a long way since I got my Everlast and until this failure I was pretty happy.

Name:  6666666666666666.PNG
Views: 439
Size:  20.6 KB

Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

Gee,

A lot has happened in 7 years, like the AHP AlphaTIG getting AC Frequency Control, in 2015.

So, since you can buy the AHP on Amazon right now, for $710, delivered, that's what I'd do if I were you.

And then you'd have a new, proven, AC/DC TIG unit with a two-year warrantee, I believe it is.

Easy peasy!

https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-...s=AHP+AlphaTIG

I WOULD look better brand that last
    I owned welders that was used ever day for 30 years and still ticking

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ztg525 View Post
    Long time lurker first time poster. Apparently the inverters have gone out in my 225LX for the second time and the quoted repair cost is $500 + shipping both ways. With the shipping, total cost is going to be around $700.

Ive had my 225LX for about 7 years with three of that being stationed overseas with the welder not in use. Its obviously out of the five year warranty period. Before and after being stationed overseas, I have used the welder somewhat regularly (maybe once a week) for around an hour or two at a time. This is the second time that I have had this exact issue but the last repair was covered under warranty. Has anyone had similar issues with inverters on these units?

My concern is that the repair only comes with a 30 day warranty. If it fails within that 30 days I am pretty sure I would be out of shipping both ways yet again. If it fails outside of that 30 day window then it would end up being a total loss.

Anyway, to my question, I am curious if there is either a third party repair facility that may be recommended or a different machine with similar specs I could put my $700 into. I know some of these lesser known brands have come a long way since I got my Everlast and until this failure I was pretty happy.

Name:  6666666666666666.PNG
Views: 439
Size:  20.6 KB
    Last edited by smithdoor; 03-20-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Gee,

A lot has happened in 7 years, like the AHP AlphaTIG getting AC Frequency Control, in 2015.

So, since you can buy the AHP on Amazon right now, for $710, delivered, that's what I'd do if I were you.

And then you'd have a new, proven, AC/DC TIG unit with a two-year warrantee, I believe it is.

Easy peasy!

https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-...s=AHP+AlphaTIG

Interesting. How does that compare to the Everlast 225LX? Im going to have to look up reviews. It seems a lot of the newer Everlast stuff is even more solid then the older stuff.

Just bear in mind that AHP and Everlast are owned by the same people. If it were me, I would look for a welder with local support, like the Harbor Freight unit, or step up to a Miller or Lincoln. Mail order support is just a non starter for me personally. What good is a warranty if it costs you $200 to ship the unit each time.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I don't know if it is still available or not, but I used to ship stuff on Greyhound buses for almost nothing, plus they don't drop-kick your package across the country like FedEx and UPS seem to do. If it is still available, that would save you a lot on the shipping.
    If you have blown the IGBT modules twice in light usage, I suspect you either don't have enough cooling in the unit, or there is some other fault that wasn't properly repaired the first time. If you have some electronic experience, you can try to fix it yourself. IGBT's are usually about $12 each, and the gate zener diodes and bridge rectifiers are about $15 total. If you get it working, think about adding another fan to the cabinet that comes on right away when you power up. Maybe Everlast tech support could advise you.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    I don't know if it is still available or not, but I used to ship stuff on Greyhound buses for almost nothing, plus they don't drop-kick your package across the country like FedEx and UPS seem to do. If it is still available, that would save you a lot on the shipping.
    If you have blown the IGBT modules twice in light usage, I suspect you either don't have enough cooling in the unit, or there is some other fault that wasn't properly repaired the first time. If you have some electronic experience, you can try to fix it yourself. IGBT's are usually about $12 each, and the gate zener diodes and bridge rectifiers are about $15 total. If you get it working, think about adding another fan to the cabinet that comes on right away when you power up. Maybe Everlast tech support could advise you.
    Fixing it myself is easily doable, I'm fairly proficient with a soldering iron. I guess I hadn't really considered that because I thought the parts would be hard to get for some reason. I'm going to take a closer look this afternoon and see if I can get some parts ordered.

Any idea where the zener diodes and bridge rectifiers located?

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    If you have blown the IGBT modules twice in light usage, I suspect you either don't have enough cooling in the unit, or there is some other fault that wasn't properly repaired the first time.
    My guess would be the same substandard parts used for the original build were used for the warranty repair. All those cheap out of spec components have to go somewhere.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Fixing it myself is easily doable, I'm fairly proficient with a soldering iron. I guess I hadn't really considered that because I thought the parts would be hard to get for some reason. I'm going to take a closer look this afternoon and see if I can get some parts ordered.

Any idea where the zener diodes and bridge rectifiers located?
    You are asking where those parts are located on the board? If so, the zeners will be right at the gate connections of the IGBT's. The shorter the connection, the better and faster the zeners work to protect the circuit. There may be some small 10k resistors across the zeners. The rectifiers are usually right near the IGBT's, sometimes on the same heatsink. I have never been inside of an Everlast 225, so I can't tell you more than that. My experience with IGBT's comes from working on my wife's induction cook top.
    Last edited by DougAustinTX; 03-22-2018 at 03:30 AM.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Looked it over pretty good. Only visual damage/burnt up components I see are these wires.

Name:  IMG_20180322_162947.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20180322_163024.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20180322_163048.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  84.3 KB

Interesting. How does that compare to the Everlast 225LX? Im going to have to look up reviews. It seems a lot of the newer Everlast stuff is even more solid then the older stuff.
    That might be true, but there are customer who experience problems with them also. There seem to be some 210EX units that are crapping out also.

This is one area where buying an inexpensive inverter can bite you.

I am not sure why the AHP should be concern with you, or what has changed, you have an Everlast, so I don't get that part.

$500 to repair doesn't seem like a very good value on a 7 year old machine...just saying...but I own an inexpensive Everlast inverter and it is what it is...nothing more.

I'm pretty sure my next welder will be a used American built unit, not an Everlast.

Looked it over pretty good. Only visual damage/burnt up components I see are these wires.
    Honestly, that doesn't look very good to me. I hope you can get it fixed, it would suck to have a welder die, no matter how inexpensive it was to buy as 7 years is not a long life for a welder...or is it?

Like everything in life, we often get what we pay for.

Hmmm...can't seem to edit my last post, but FWIW...

You should blow out the entire unit with compressed air and get things cleaned inside. The inverters suck a bit of dust and metal particles inside....

In your 2nd picture the exposed wire will need to be replaced at minimum. More importantly why is it like that? It is hard to see if there are any blown components around that area or not, you may need to dig around that area more.

The bottom pic may or may not be a problem, hard to tell if something happened to that wire or not, but it looks exposed also right around the mid point in the pic. If that wire is exposed in the bottom pic (looks possible), there is probably something wrong around that area, or heat just caused the wire cover to deteriorate.

OTOH, maybe the welder really is dead with a bad board, but even so, maybe a local welder repair should might be able to help you without having to spend $500. Beware though, most shops are not familiar with Everlast and may shy away, or worse...waste your time. At least that is what I find in my area, the LWSs sell and service Miller, Lincoln, ThermalArc, etc...but not Everlast.

Or,

Since that 225LX model, Everlast has almost all of its units with IGBT now, and have increased their warrantee to 5 years.

So, maybe you'd just consider one in their digital, advanced-featured line of TIG units.

I've had the 210EXT for over three years, and dig it. The added waveforms, like with the Triangle wave was initially handy for the thinner aluminum projects I've had. And now I'm getting around to diggin' the Advanced Pulse/Mix TIG feature, which uses both AC and DCEN to weld aluminum, which allows me to weld aluminum plate thicknesses beyond what most any other 210 amp TIG unit might do, with Argon alone. But Mix TIG seems to be little-understood and even more under-utilized, in North America so far.

So, yeah, a lot has happened in 7 years, especially with Everlast. And they've also released industry-first MIG + AC/DC TIG units.

Fun stuff!!!!!!!

I had to repair my 1 year old Everlast 140ST a couple weeks ago and I was really impressed buy the 140's build quality. Looking at the pictures of yours vs. what the build quality of my newer one is the difference is night and day. That old Everlast looks crude and crusty! If I were you I'd try probing the IGBTs with a multimeter set to continuity to see if any of them are shorted out. If they aren't I'd replace the melted wire and try turning it on again.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Yeah,

I saw that wire being so close to that coil, and thought that could be the culprit (heat/interference).

But I'm no electrical savant, and it's nice that you chimed in, Iain, as I was impressed with the demonstration of your technician skills on that unit in your recent video.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Honestly, that doesn't look very good to me. I hope you can get it fixed, it would suck to have a welder die, no matter how inexpensive it was to buy as 7 years is not a long life for a welder...or is it?

Like everything in life, we often get what we pay for.
    So, how do all the posts here where the Miller Dynasty units blew up right after their 3 year warranty went out and costs to repair were 1800.00 or better figure in here? No, rather, the unit is repairable for less than half the original cost of the unit. The 225's were good ole units. No they aren't as polished as the new units but contrary to Duanes misleading comments, they didn't use substandard parts. Rather they used (and still do) use name brand components. Any good electronics guy could work on them if they understand the basics of an inverter, and probably could be repaired locally.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Yeah,

On this forum, Alan, you can't go back and edit or delete a threadful of photos or comments, like at tipsandtricks.

I think you get about 20 minutes, or so, here.

Then it's irrevocable.

Ha, ha, ha...

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Hmmm...can't seem to edit my last post...

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    So, how do all the posts here where the Miller Dynasty units blew up right after their 3 year warranty went out and costs to repair were 1800.00 or better figure in here? No, rather, the unit is repairable for less than half the original cost of the unit. The 225's were good ole units. No they aren't as polished as the new units but contrary to Duanes misleading comments, they didn't use substandard parts. Rather they used (and still do) use name brand components. Any good electronics guy could work on them if they understand the basics of an inverter, and probably could be repaired locally.
    Lug, did you guys ever make the schematics for the units available for repairs? It is one thing to repair a unit with the components being known, but after the parts get fully toasted and burned, it is hard to figure out the exact value of some of the components. It would be good to have at least partial schematics of the sections that typically fail.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

I'd like to know exactly how many units go bad from Miller???

I have to believe that Miller does more QA than Everlast does.

Miller probably stocks parts and can service their welders and multiple locations around the U.S. Not saying a Miller won't go bad, they can and do. And many of the LWSs know how to service them.

Seeing someone like you claim Millers dying is just FUD. I would love to see a DOA list from both companies.

And no matter what, there is no denying that Everlast relies upon the Chinese manufacture to get parts and don't stock many if any.

Cheers,
    Alan

So, how do all the posts here where,,,blah-blah-blah
    And it's really ironic that you would respond to my post, but not even offer the customer any public advice on fixing his unit.

Let's say the unit is out of warranty. Is there anything you can say that would shed some light on what might be the problem for your customer base? Surely you have sold more than one of these units, and at some point someone might get lucky and google and find this thread on the 225LX that might help them decide if they buy a motherboard, a new welder, or try to fix it themselves.

My $0.02, if it's broke and not working you probably can't re-break it by trying to fix it.

shoulda bought a lincoln..you get what you pay for...I dont see any 20+ year old chicom units floating around, but plenty of older lincoln and miller units...

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Yeah,

I saw that wire being so close to that coil, and thought that could be the culprit (heat/interference).

But I'm no electrical savant, and it's nice that you chimed in, Iain, as I was impressed with the demonstration of your technician skills on that unit in your recent video.
    Thanks, just happy to help. I think Everlast would win over many people if they published the schematics for their products. I'm not sure why they don't, if somebody wants to copy part of their welder they'll do it schematic or no schematic.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Im either going to try to fix it myself when I find the time, or look into buying something else for my personal use. Going to pull some stuff apart tomorrow and break out the multimeter.

Crappy thing is, I was looking at the 210ext or (or similar) for my business in like two months once I get settled in... but... meh -_-. I dont know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain P View Post
    I had to repair my 1 year old Everlast 140ST a couple weeks ago and I was really impressed buy the 140's build quality. Looking at the pictures of yours vs. what the build quality of my newer one is the difference is night and day. That old Everlast looks crude and crusty! If I were you I'd try probing the IGBTs with a multimeter set to continuity to see if any of them are shorted out. If they aren't I'd replace the melted wire and try turning it on again.
    LOL..your impressed by the build quality that failed only after a year.... how long do you think it should last without repair? I have lincolns going back almost 30 years that havent needed ANY repair as of date....