Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement? - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 122
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA Kelseyville, CA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    We've talked already on the phone IIRC, so you don't see behind the scenes so you need to back off with your assumptions and posturing. A dead machine needs service. It's out of warranty. New components will usually need to be replaced on the boards. That part is not user serviceable. It will take a skilled and trained diagnostician to service the unit, test it, load bank it and make sure nothing else is weak or in the process of failing. What do you expect to happen here? It's 7 years old and he has to weigh the cost to repair at an est. 500 plus shipping or another unit, either ours or someone else's. It's really not complicated. It may be difficult to make the decision, and I understand that, but the process is fairly simple. A new replacement machine is roughly 1350 to 16650.00 depending on which unit he wants as the 225lx has been out of production for about 5 years now. Original list on the unit he has was about 1200 to 1400.00 depending upon when he bought it. It is not a machine currently in production. It was a good unit. It's not that I am not sympathetic, or that I don't wish things were cheaper. But if the quote was indeed 500.00, that includes the board if it needs to be fully replaced rather than repaired( which is what I am assuming they are going to figure on) and the labor. That's a better deal than you'll find on most welders including some repair like this on Miller. The only thing I advise is to send it postal service. It's cheaper, and they tend not to beat things up so bad. That unit will go that route. You could send it gray hound if they still have under the bus service, or possibly fastenal, if they want to deliver to the TN facility. Other than that, that is the best we can do.
    Mark,

    That's a fair response, I am not faulting you for that...but this thread was silent in regard to Everlast providing a response.

    Is there anything you can think of that might help him out?

    Anything he can check for to try and isolate what is wrong?

    The wires don't look too good, but it seems something should be either fried or blown on the motherboard for that condition, maybe just heat though.

    From your customer's standpoint he has a dead box, so there's not much else he can break on it by trying to fix it. That is to say, he would still need to replace the motherboard to fix it most likely.

    Anyway, if you can shed any light on what he might look for, maybe that would help him get it running again.

    TT

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA Kelseyville, CA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztg525 View Post
    I've pushed Everlast on anyone that would listen to me since purchasing my 225lx. My welder seemed like a great value, especially at the time, before these other inexpensive welders popped up. Great bang for the buck... but it is now a dead paperweight for the second time with the same issue having seen minimal use. The welder sat for three years while I was stationed overseas and I've been on the same bottle of argon since I moved back in early 2016. This has me questioning my initial perceived value and whether or not I should buy a new one for my business where it will see a lot more use.
    I agree that is not very much use. I'm already on my 3rd bottle of argon, and have a 125cfm bottle, not sure what size you have. My little welder is working fine. My only real nit with the unit is that it uses potentiometers for setting the pulse, and it takes me a few tries typically to get 1-1.5 pulses, as it starts at the low of .25 and goes up...not a big deal, I can deal with that. I just keep a piece of scrap around to test so I can get the pulse correct.

    Other than that, it's been pretty good.

    It was brought up that Jody Collier had a point gap problem on his unit. I had seen that video, as I have seen a number of others needing to set the point gap. Just because I wanted to understand how to set the point gap on my unit, I received a lot of backlash from a few people on the Everlast forum, including Mark (lugweld) and Livingstone.

    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about that, especially when I look in the manual and it shows a different diagram for the points than what I have in my unit.

    And despite what Livingstone says, I am using my little welder plenty and it's doing just fine for me to get a number of projects done. Somehow it's not good for me to open and evaluate the product I bought with my hard earned cash. I don't get it. If I bought a Miller, I would open it and look inside also...I wonder, would Miller tell me I shouldn't open the unit. Everlast told me I could void the warranty as I was cutting off some of the sealer that was spooged all over the components...that's ok, I don't really care about any piece of paper, if the unit has a problem I will expect them to fix it while it's on warranty, as long as it's not something I caused myself. So, I'm willing to take the responsibility by opening the case myself, and I don't feel that should bother them at all. The manual tells you to open it and clean it out periodically, like every 6 months.

    Aside from what I feel about my unit, what about Ztg525 folks? Is there any way to help this guy with his unit. Iain seemed to imply he works on welders, any advice you could offer?

    If anyone could help Ztg525 get his welder working again it would be a win-win for all, IMO.

    TT

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    I agree that is not very much use. I'm already on my 3rd bottle of argon, and have a 125cfm bottle, not sure what size you have. My little welder is working fine. My only real nit with the unit is that it uses potentiometers for setting the pulse, and it takes me a few tries typically to get 1-1.5 pulses, as it starts at the low of .25 and goes up...not a big deal, I can deal with that. I just keep a piece of scrap around to test so I can get the pulse correct.

    Other than that, it's been pretty good.

    It was brought up that Jody Collier had a point gap problem on his unit. I had seen that video, as I have seen a number of others needing to set the point gap. Just because I wanted to understand how to set the point gap on my unit, I received a lot of backlash from a few people on the Everlast forum, including Mark (lugweld) and Livingstone.

    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about that, especially when I look in the manual and it shows a different diagram for the points than what I have in my unit.

    And despite what Livingstone says, I am using my little welder plenty and it's doing just fine for me to get a number of projects done. Somehow it's not good for me to open and evaluate the product I bought with my hard earned cash. I don't get it. If I bought a Miller, I would open it and look inside also...I wonder, would Miller tell me I shouldn't open the unit. Everlast told me I could void the warranty as I was cutting off some of the sealer that was spooged all over the components...that's ok, I don't really care about any piece of paper, if the unit has a problem I will expect them to fix it while it's on warranty, as long as it's not something I caused myself. So, I'm willing to take the responsibility by opening the case myself, and I don't feel that should bother them at all. The manual tells you to open it and clean it out periodically, like every 6 months.

    Aside from what I feel about my unit, what about Ztg525 folks? Is there any way to help this guy with his unit. Iain seemed to imply he works on welders, any advice you could offer?

    If anyone could help Ztg525 get his welder working again it would be a win-win for all, IMO.

    TT
    Im going to take a guess that each run of chicom welders is slightly different from the last, and not for improvement sake, just what they have at the factory putting these wholesale units together, thats why a schematic is so hard to track down , they would all be different, they probably run a million or so units off on each run...

    here want cheap welding helmets https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...egK1MR8F-3Dz6X
    wholesale welders https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vG81Gk2ge9I_6V
    even more cheap china welders buy by the dozen https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vG81Gk2ge9I_6V

    you can get bulk volume buys from china for super cheap, slap your company label on them and your a welding supply company over night... and then charge shipping for any warranty as most people wont ship it as its not worth it , but your getting them so cheap you just swap out a new cheap one for the old broken one...

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Sure,

    Choices are good.

    But shipping a welder like mine to which ever of three current service sites that may be appropriate for my particular Everlast unit, which is a full-sized AC/DC TIG unit, would be about $100 or slightly more, round-trip, and not "several hundred".

    Of course, I can afford several hundred, and even a couple thousand or more, for shipping, since I didn't spend that much more on a "name brand" digital, advanced-featured TIG unit.
    see you have been suckered with that thinking..why should I pay a nickel to get warranty work done on a product I bought??? do you pay for warranty when you bring your car in to a dealer? oh wait they have dealers in your neighborhood to fix your car, they dont ship it back to the manufacture in whatever country that may be.. so you are now satisfied buying a cheap welder with the mindset of when it breaks and needs repair you are happy to pay shipping to get it fixed....because it was cheaper than a name brand unit that may never need fixing....again if your happy with that then fine, it was your money spent not mine, Im happy spending more on a name brand that may never need repair and if it does I can drive to one of a hundred authorized factory repair facilities from a 5 minute to 1 hour drive...

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA Kelseyville, CA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    Im going to take a guess that each run of chicom welders is slightly different from the last, and not for improvement sake, just what they have at the factory putting these wholesale units together, thats why a schematic is so hard to track down , they would all be different, they probably run a million or so units off on each run...
    I don't know, I think they probably just go through evolution, and IGBT seems to be one of the biggest changes over the past 10 years, so the designs are getting better...

    The question is, is the reliability getting better? I think the answer is yes, in a similar way that Japanese product got better during the 70s and 80s, they now produce some of the best product.

    Will that happen with China? They don't seem to play fair like Japan, so it still remains to be seen. Not providing schematics, case in point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    here want cheap welding helmets
    Exactly why I bought a Miller Digital Elite. It cost almost half of what I paid for my welder. I figure I only have one set of eyes, but who am I to say...a friend of mine has a HF auto-darkening helmet and told me it's more than adequate, but they don't go down low enough for low amp tig welding if I need it, and again, only one set of eyes. A lot of folks using those helmets, and to be fair, Miller helmets go bad and I've seen cases of people getting flashed as the lens gets old...so nothing is immune to malfunction. Just that I would rather trust me eyes to Miller or Lincoln before HF, cause even the high end helmets are now made in China. This is the same as welders, cause Miller and Lincoln do better with Chinese parts, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    see you have been suckered with that thinking..why should I pay a nickel to get warranty work done on a product I bought??? do you pay for warranty when you bring your car in to a dealer? oh wait they have dealers in your neighborhood to fix your car, they dont ship it back to the manufacture in whatever country that may be.. so you are now satisfied buying a cheap welder with the mindset of when it breaks and needs repair you are happy to pay shipping to get it fixed....because it was cheaper than a name brand unit that may never need fixing....again if your happy with that then fine, it was your money spent not mine, Im happy spending more on a name brand that may never need repair and if it does I can drive to one of a hundred authorized factory repair facilities from a 5 minute to 1 hour drive...
    That's funny...I rarely go to the dealer, even when I've bought new cars in the past. I either do the work myself or have a mechanic of my own fix it. But to be fair, this doesn't mean that a name brand will not need fixing, it does happen. Just that the QA seems *WAY* better than whoever QAs the Everlast units in China.

    However, as I have stated, aside from quality, products, service, etc...what about Ztg525's welder?

    Does anyone have any ideas on how he might go about trying to trouble shoot the problem?

    Would really like to see him get an answer without even more "electric wheelchair diarrhea"...

    TT

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Yeah,

    Choices are good.

    We've just made different ones, with no "suckered" involved at all. I'm happy with my welder purchase, as you apparently are too. Wheeee for us both.

    But Alan seems to think he was suckered or a is a victim somehow, with all the crying he's doing on four welding forums about a lot of stuff he knows almost nothing about. Go figure...

    Getting my new Everlast unit over three years ago was a happy event, and it continues to be fun for me to this day!

    Just normal, everyday stuff, for me, but I wouldn't blame the moderators for locking out this thread. The OP has undoubtedly gleaned what remedies are available that might be helpful for his problem unit, and also regarding potential new unit buying choices.
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-27-2018 at 04:20 PM.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA Kelseyville, CA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    But Alan seems to think he was suckered or a is a victim somehow, with all the crying he's doing on four welding forums about a lot of stuff he knows almost nothing about. Go figure...
    No, that's not true and you haven't read anything I have typed if that is the case. I have stated all alone I was satisfied with my welder, so far. If something goes wrong that is not my problem during the period it is warrantied for, I will expect Everlast to fix it. I will not expect them to fix any problem I have caused and think that is fair.

    I am in no way "crying", so please don't characterize me like that, that much I would appreciate.

    What I have been worried about is EXACTLY what is happening to Ztg525. He has a welder that has gone out of warranty and it is now going to cost him a good chunk to fix. More so he is now caught in a pickle. Does he spend the $$$s to fix it, or does he invest in more inexpensive inverter technology to replace the "loss". If you don't understand a machine being dead as being a "loss", I can't help you there.

    His other option is to get a different machine, new or used, but one that works to replace what he has. There are some decent Miller mig boxes I see, more so than tig. tig boxes always seem to go for more in my area. You could get a nice millermatic for about $1k or even less, IMO, albeit at the expense of buying used.

    Even you have needed to get a replacement board mailed to you from China, and you have what is supposed to be considered one of the flagship products from Everlast, at least Mark really talks that unit up, as does Mike say good things about it also...Those 2 really represent Everlast. However, given that you have needed to have service done on your unit doesn't speak very well, as your unit is only a couple years old.

    All this warranty, 3 years vs. 5 years, I save X amount of $$$s buying that I can afford shipping back and forth, theirs cost X $$$s, mine costs X $$$s...let's really break this down to the heart of the issue. When you have a machine that doesn't work it costs you time. That time is usually more than you have spent on the machine or service together. Time is a FRICKIN' killer.

    As I have told you, and I did verify at my LWS, if I buy a Miller from them and there is a problem with it, can I expect to at least get a loaner while the unit is shipped back to Miller or they get parts from Miller and fix it for me? The answer was clearly, *YES*. (emphasizing so you don't miss that).

    All the numbers and massaging on new units are complete BS because of this very fact. You will probably laugh at me and tell me how inexperienced I am at welding, you will pick apart my character as you have been doing and continue to post pictures and videos of work that doesn't pertain, only because you did it on an Everlast welder. Stop it already and please create a thread of your own so you can post in it and not thread crap in everyone else's thread. I think others would appreciate that also, nothing worse than thread crap when it turns into diarrhea...

    I am a hobbyist, but my time is not cheap...sure, when I'm not working I can f#@$ around on anything I want, when I want, and how I want...but when I work I get paid a fair wage and people expect me to do quality work for them, which I do. If my welder holds me up on a project and I waste time, that is time that could be very costly to me, especially when I'm working. Like everything, all of our time is valued differently.

    I don't want a dead welder whoever's it is. That goes for Red, Blue, Green, Yellow or any other color you like. That downtime costs...

    For you that might now matter, cause if you're down for a week it might not matter. But quit pushing your values on everyone else, or worse assume that our values are like yours.

    That said, lucky for you I am going out to get some fabricating done, so I can weld it up. Have fun today, I won't be back until evening after I'm done.

    NOTE: if you do have some ideas for Ztg525, by all means offer them, but please don't continue posting pics of stuff you've done only because they were done on an Everlast welder...that gets pretty nauseating to others.

    TT

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Hey,

    Good for you, Alan, buy a Miller Dynasty from your LWS, then be happy!

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    You can get a loaner from your dealer as long as it is warranty. We do provide loaners as well depending upon the circumstances. But with our competitors,let that go out of warranty, they won't give you squat after 3 years when the warranty expires. They shoot you a high quote and try to sell you a new unit citing it isn't worth it to repair it. Our cost of repair is not that high in comparison.

    I don't know which welder was referred to as a "flag ship" welder. We don't have one. We have a lot of welders to meet different needs. I am going to tell you that the failure rate for Miller dynastys at 7 years goes up dramatically. TT is making a lot of assumptions and speculations...and so far out of reality. Just heard from a guy who has 12 Everlasts at his work for sometime and no issues and they pound them 8 to 10 a day. Again, armchair quarterbacking is hard to resist. Again, ESAB doesn't provide ANY schematics. We provide them to well trained, and competent people who fix our units.

    As far as recommendations, if there were something I felt he could do to work on his unit, I'd say so. But I talked with him before he posted this thread I believe and went through things in detail and determined the issue was not something fixable at a customer level. Not sure why people aren't satisfied with that. I know it is a tough pill to swallow. I've been there. It's all part of the stages of anger in a way. The 225 is a unit not in production for about 5 years and it is very labor intensive compared to newer models to diagnose, repair and test.

    But TT seriously needs to read this forum for a while and dig through the years of posts where people had the very same thing happen to them with a Miller after 3 years, (or Lincoln) just as the warranty expired and they were told to pound sand. Over the last 10 years or so I've been on this forum, I've read plenty of horror stories on that level. I've got a pretty good memory about those things and I can tell you, if you don't want to acknowledge this fact, you are foolish and burying your head in the sand and trying to stay willfully ignorant. You can find fault, sure. Anytime someone doesn't like an answer they get, they pitch a fit these days, rather than reason through the issue and see it from a balanced perspective. Now, everyone is knee jerk and reactionary and tries to blow up and stir up a situation that is not warranted.
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-27-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    see you have been suckered with that thinking..why should I pay a nickel to get warranty work done on a product I bought??? do you pay for warranty when you bring your car in to a dealer? oh wait they have dealers in your neighborhood to fix your car, they dont ship it back to the manufacture in whatever country that may be.. so you are now satisfied buying a cheap welder with the mindset of when it breaks and needs repair you are happy to pay shipping to get it fixed....because it was cheaper than a name brand unit that may never need fixing....again if your happy with that then fine, it was your money spent not mine, Im happy spending more on a name brand that may never need repair and if it does I can drive to one of a hundred authorized factory repair facilities from a 5 minute to 1 hour drive...
    You delude yourself thinking that name brand units won't need a warranty. I talk to people everyday who thought that, and sell them an Everlast because their blue and red delusions of grandeur came crashing down around them and it cost them dearly. Stuff breaks...all of it. all the time. All names. If it's manmade it is going to fail. Failure rates are slightly different maybe, but not so huge as you think. I get to talk with dealers, engineers and large sale consumers of competitor's products regularly so I can make a comparison here that is somewhat accurate rather than a WAG.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  11. #86

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    My main issue with getting it repaired is that I basically get a thirty day grace period if it ends up popping again. Outside of that thirty days, it's potentially another $700 to get it fixed... at this point I've come to the realization that any welder I buy is basically a paperweight outside of warranty.

    Maybe I can sell this thing for parts and get a newer unit 😔.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    You delude yourself thinking that name brand units won't need a warranty. I talk to people everyday who thought that, and sell them an Everlast because their blue and red delusions of grandeur came crashing down around them and it cost them dearly. Stuff breaks...all of it. all the time. All names. If it's manmade it is going to fail. Failure rates are slightly different maybe, but not so huge as you think. I get to talk with dealers, engineers and large sale consumers of competitor's products regularly so I can make a comparison here that is somewhat accurate rather than a WAG.
    you misquoted me, I didnt say name brand units dont need a warranty, I said name brand units I dont have to pay shipping to get warranty work done( as they have a presence in many retail outlets that are local and many times the name brand unit doesnt break to use the warranty, not that they dont need one, and I have said in several posts that ALL brands break, but not as higher percentage with name brand..

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztg525 View Post
    My main issue with getting it repaired is that I basically get a thirty day grace period if it ends up popping again. Outside of that thirty days, it's potentially another $700 to get it fixed... at this point I've come to the realization that any welder I buy is basically a paperweight outside of warranty.

    Maybe I can sell this thing for parts and get a newer unit ��.
    not really, because if you buy name brand even out of warranty you can get technical assistance and a good supply chain for parts you can buy and install, unlike the chicom you have to guess what parts are and no supply line of repair parts and little technical support..name brand has parts and tech support for welders decades old.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orange, TX
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    . . . but contrary to Duanes misleading comments, they didn't use substandard parts. Rather they used (and still do) use name brand components.
    You're going to have to go a lot further than that to convince me otherwise. Even "name brand" components can be out of spec and fail one companies QC but be just fine for a host of low ball manufacturers willing to roll the dice and pay a fraction of the normal price. Too many examples to the contrary. Try again.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

    Save Second Base!

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA Kelseyville, CA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    But TT seriously needs to read this forum for a while and dig through the years of posts where people had the very same thing happen to them with a Miller after 3 years, (or Lincoln) just as the warranty expired and they were told to pound sand.
    Is that all you can do is trash the competition about their failures Mark? What about Everlast failures that are happening, those don't bother you? I suspect both Miller and Lincoln still selling welders despite their crappy reliability you point out. I wonder if they tell their customers how many failures Everlast has on their welders? I don't think so...

    You certainly could try to help Ztg525 who has a dead box with little hope for the future. Instead you trash the competition over their units in a thread about a dead Everlast machine. That's pretty pathetic...and says quite a bit about the support you provide.

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    You're going to have to go a lot further than that to convince me otherwise. Even "name brand" components can be out of spec and fail one companies QC but be just fine for a host of low ball manufacturers willing to roll the dice and pay a fraction of the normal price. Too many examples to the contrary. Try again.
    I completely agree. Apple is a great example. They were able to manufacture products in the same FoxxConn factory in China but camp out on the manufacturing line and get the required level of work they wanted. The quality of the packaging, the way the cables are wrapped makes for a better out of box experience than any of their competition. Thick cardboard, nicely packaged, the product was just better than all of their competition. At a price...Does this sound like Everlast?

    I've seen videos of some pretty ratty boxes arrive at the customers, as shown on YouTube of the Everlast units. Mine wasn't in bad shape, but I picked my welder up from their headquarters, so no domestic shipping was required.

    TT

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Duane,
    I don't feel I need to convince you because your mind is already made up and you are not an Everlast customer, and presumably never willl be. But we do not use seconds, or substandard parts. Can't afford to. Our parts come direct from the sources whenever possible.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    not really, because if you buy name brand even out of warranty you can get technical assistance and a good supply chain for parts you can buy and install, unlike the chicom you have to guess what parts are and no supply line of repair parts and little technical support..name brand has parts and tech support for welders decades old.
    STOP guessing. We provide tech support on out of warranty units. We supply parts on out of warranty units. Just because we determine it needs to be repaired in facility, does not mean we offer no support.
    And you again deceive yourselves. I have a Lincoln product that I tried to get a board for (engine drive) and I was told there were none available and it would be 3 months before I could get a new one because they had to make more. I had to go to another remanufacturer to have mine rebuilt. So just stop. You have so many inaccuracies and guesses that are wrong.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    you misquoted me, I didnt say name brand units dont need a warranty, I said name brand units I dont have to pay shipping to get warranty work done( as they have a presence in many retail outlets that are local and many times the name brand unit doesnt break to use the warranty, not that they dont need one, and I have said in several posts that ALL brands break, but not as higher percentage with name brand..
    No, I didn't.
    From post 58.

    you keep missing the point, buy quality and there usually is no need to use a warranty...
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    STOP guessing. We provide tech support on out of warranty units. We supply parts on out of warranty units. Just because we determine it needs to be repaired in facility, does not mean we offer no support.
    And you again deceive yourselves. I have a Lincoln product that I tried to get a board for (engine drive) and I was told there were none available and it would be 3 months before I could get a new one because they had to make more. I had to go to another remanufacturer to have mine rebuilt. So just stop. You have so many inaccuracies and guesses that are wrong.
    let me guess again that ALL your units have to be repaired at your facility..... and the customer has to pay shipping.....whether in or out of warranty...now thats a joke...you should pay shipping for your defective product within the warranty time...out of warranty then completely understandable..
    on the lincoln board, how old was your unit? in warranty? if an older unit understandable for any brand...including yours..
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 03-28-2018 at 09:59 AM.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    I never said anything about crappy reliability. How am I trashing the competition by drawing a comparison? You are just scraping for things to pick at.
    Um, yes they do, at least their sales people and reps do. I hear it all the time, when customers call me and were "warned off" by someone from the compeition or one of their sales people/outlets.

    How can I help him? Really? We have.

    We have people in our factory during manufacturing, ordering etc. Yes, we camp out...and have been doing so for years. We meet directly with the suppliers of sub components, visit their factories as well. And we have direct contact with our factory on a daily basis. I've already stated this, but you ignore it. Go over to our site and our forum and you'll see plenty of documentation and discussion about it, pictures even.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    No. We offer support and provide detailed written instructions to customers if a unit has an issue and can be diagnosed. Most all units are plug and play on major components now and we can send out a board. Most repairs take less than 30 minutes. A good many in 5 minutes or less. Fastest and quickest way to do it for the customer if he is willing. We do it on a case by case basis depending on what is wrong. But a board or something is easy to snap in and out.

    A joke? Really? Our facility is equipped with far more equipment than your typical local repair facility (as I have visited several authorized repair centers personally) and is trained fully in every aspect of our units with factory testing equipment, as well as our tech support staff. Your average repair center does not have those type of capabilities, and often times it is a parts swap. If a customer ships it back for repair, you can be assured the repair is going to have a far greater chance of being done correctly and any other related issues ferreted out in addition to what "broke". Yes, a customer pays shipping after 30 days, the window when most failures, if they are going to occur, do happen. But that is in our warranty stated for all to read and inspect before they buy. That's no joke. If they buy it, then they agree to the circumstances. We don't hide it. And we can't make some of our product fast enough. Go figure. And if you read the Miller warranty, it isn't that much different than ours in what they state regarding that either. But go ahead and be ignorant if you want and keep trying to find fault. I suppose it is your character to do so.
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-28-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    No. We offer support and provide detailed written instructions to customers if a unit has an issue and can be diagnosed. Most all units are plug and play on major components now and we can send out a board. Most repairs take less than 30 minutes. A good many in 5 minutes or less. Fastest and quickest way to do it for the customer if he is willing. We do it on a case by case basis depending on what is wrong. But a board or something is easy to snap in and out.

    A joke? Really? Our facility is equipped with far more equipment than your typical local repair facility (as I have visited several authorized repair centers personally) and is trained fully in every aspect of our units with factory testing equipment, as well as our tech support staff. Your average repair center does not have those type of capabilities, and often times it is a parts swap. If a customer ships it back for repair, you can be assured the repair is going to have a far greater chance of being done correctly and any other related issues ferreted out in addition to what "broke". Yes, a customer pays shipping after 30 days, the window when most failures, if they are going to occur, do happen. But that is in our warranty stated for all to read and inspect before they buy. That's no joke. If they buy it, then they agree to the circumstances. We don't hide it. And we can't make some of our product fast enough. Go figure. And if you read the Miller warranty, it isn't that much different than ours in what they state regarding that either. But go ahead and be ignorant if you want and keep trying to find fault. I suppose it is your character to do so.
    once again you misquoted me..the " joke" is having the customer pay shipping, not your repair facility...30 days is good for a coffee maker and most people dont use the welder alot in the first few weeks they have it, they are learning on it and dont give it heavy use to break it in for failure, if you had any confidence in what you sell it should be at least 1 year shipping included..most people dont read the fine print and just see the 5 year warranty , yes I took some marketing classes ...oh wait, I dont have to ship miller or lincoln as I can drive to one of the thousands of authorized repair facilities around the USA..go figure on that....just by your defensive and offensive attitude here it speaks volumes on your product..again if the person buying feels its a deal for them then so be it, but to have it pushed as a product good as or better for a cheap price doesnt cut it ....you can keep going around and around but it doesnt change what your selling..cheap welders...with very limited support compared to the name brands...hey even harbor freight has plenty of retail outlets you can drive to and buy or return welders and equipment they sell..no shipping fees for warranty....
    I did a quick google and see home depot sells everlast, does that mean if a unit goes down and needs warranty it can be dropped off at home depot for shipping back to you for warranty?
    when looking over your web sight and products all one sees is in big yellow and green signs " 5 year warranty" but nothing about paying for shipping after 30 days till you go look up the warranty details, you dont even put an asterisk denoting possible terms on the warranty as most other sellers do, so its misleading on the 5 year warranty, as most people wouild assume the warranty covers shipping or returning a defective unit to you..
    a final PS, I have nothing personal against you, I understand you are in the business to sell a product and make $$..but the devil is in the details and your attitude is basically " buyer beware" if they dont read every small print detail about your product...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 03-28-2018 at 11:37 AM.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    No,

    It’s a "joke" to ignore what is obvious for most any welding brand producer/seller, about free return-shipping not being offered beyond 30-days, or so.

    Miller doesn't guarantee free shipping for 1-year. Harbor Freight doesn't either. But, yes, those two brands do have more outlets that do, or might, make the delivery of a unit in need of repair/replacement/money-back a virtually costless process during the warrantee, for them and the end user. And that’s good for both them and their customers, even though the two brands are priced and marketed quite differently. So that point is valid.

    But, how about those nice HTP InverTIG 221 and ProPulse200 units that have only one sales outlet that I know of, being in the Great Lakes area of N.A., and which are imported from an Italian producer, with HTP offering only a free return-shipping for 90 days, but still not 1-year?

    You’re not crying about that, with HTP…

    I mean, besides HF on the new Vulcan line warrantee, HTP, with its 3-year overall warrantee, is the highest period for free shipping that I've seen, at 90-days. But Everlast still beats all others with the 5-year portion/length of their IGBT welder warrantee, which seems more valuable to me, as if there might be a problem with any welder brand, it will probably occur during the free return-shipping period, if the welder is put right into use, and then potentially after a longer period.

    Yes, I too have seen forum comments from “name brand” users having unit failures right after the 3-year warrantee expires too, which left those units economically unfeasible to repair.

    Most of us on welding forums over a longer period have offered help to many people who buy their first TIG welder, lets say, who fumble around with it for weeks or months, blaming the machine for why their tungsten balls up, their AC beads make soup out of the metal, and a host of other symptoms that turn out to be nothing more than an attention deficit of the user. And, via forums, it's nice to help those people step through stuff like that, as they get their "ah ha" moment, maybe after revealing that their metal was galvanized, or something like that, and so finally correcting it on their end, to then they begin having good success.

    Of course, with the volume of Everlast units sold, and with a lot of newbies out there, Everlast would undoubtedly have a deluge of costly, free return-shipping demands from newbies, with needless RMAs for nothing more than settings, adjustment, or other user errors.

    But, yeah, HF has that interesting new 1-year warrantee/money-back return policy on some pretty cool basic new units.

    Of course, Hobby, you're not loading up one of those HF unit into your pickup, Im guessing, and neither am I, because that warrantee isn't compelling enough to make me, at least, buy one of those HF units. But I might also recommend them, in some cases, to a lot of people, and actually have, if I recall.

    Otherwise, Everlast’s 30-day, 100% satisfaction policy, with free-return shipping, is no “joke”.

    I’ve exercised it myself, over 3 years ago.

    And I don’t mind at all, if the so-called need arises, that to exercise the remaining free parts/labor or replacement portion of the 5-year Everlast warrantee may be $100, or more, in round-trip shipping costs.

    Having "free" 100% satisfaction/return-shipping costs paid by the seller, limited to 30-90 days (i.e., free welder rental, for the Millennial generation), rather than a 1-year, for those unit brands that don't have pervasive, tax-collecting, brick-and-mortar retail sites, is very reasonable, as purchasers of these units can certainly afford a mere shipping cost, if the need ever arises within a 5-year period. And it also imposes a sort of discipline on new users to pay attention, and actually prove that they can utilize their unit earlier, if they want to exercise the free-to-them return-shipping portion of the warrantee.

    Of course, there's still going to be crybabies, nonetheless...
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-28-2018 at 12:39 PM.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA Kelseyville, CA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    You are just scraping for things to pick at.
    You may think so, but what I am pointing out are fairly obvious, it is really like low hanging fruit.

    I can only compare support against companies I've dealt with, not all of them were good. But certain ones stand out.

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    How can I help him? Really? We have.
    I was thinking you might have some ideas on which boards or components he might remove to try and find where the specific problem maybe, or if is just not able to determine where it is.

    In the pictures, the wires look dirty, so I would think the first thing would be to blow things out with compressed air as a first step to try and isolate where the problem is. To me it seems there could be some electrical components fried or blown somewhere if it's not working. Those wire have experienced some heat, so around that area would be good to snoop around and look at. However, many of the components and/or sections are hard to see with everything crammed in there, so trying to open it up and get some of the components out so things are visible could be helpful.

    Now, obviously this type of DIY repair would void a warranty, and I realize you can't warranty products that your customers take apart. I'm not implying that, his warranty is already expired. Really, I see very little to loose on the part of Ztg525 by trying to diagnose the problem himself, and especially if he's not going to send the unit in for repair to you. It is essentially a dead paper weight as he has mentioned.

    Do you have any ideas on what to test with a multimeter?

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    We have people in our factory during manufacturing, ordering etc. Yes, we camp out...and have been doing so for years. We meet directly with the suppliers of sub components, visit their factories as well. And we have direct contact with our factory on a daily basis. I've already stated this, but you ignore it.
    Wait Mark, someone shouldn't have to go searching? You haven't mentioned it in this thread, or anything I've read. Do I need to search your knowledge base as a customer? But if you camp out on the manufacturing line, why does my welder look like it does inside? This tells me you don't have the ability that Apple does because I own both products.

    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    I have a Lincoln product that I tried to get a board for (engine drive) and I was told there were none available and it would be 3 months before I could get a new one because they had to make more. I had to go to another remanufacturer to have mine rebuilt.
    And herein lies a difference. When I went into my LWS, I asked about a replacement hose for the argon. My LWS asked, "what type of machine to you have again?". He said, maybe you should just bring the flowmeter in...so I go ask about connectors on your Everlast forum, I'm sure you will remember as you told me not to worry about that and use the hose supplied. On the surface the flowmeter looks decent, but if you compare this to a Victor and have them side by side, it's easier to see the difference. So I opted to replace mine. Unfortunately you couldn't even provide me with what type of fittings was on the flowmeter when I asked.

    The bottom line is my LWS and other stores in the area know Lincoln and Miller, they know the fittings, they know the hoses, they know the machines and typical problems they have. They don't know Everlast so I need to rely on your support.

    But I did learn something in the process about flowmeters and gas connectors in general. Most all of the manufactures use CGA fittings these days but the connector to the flowmeter is the older style compressed air fitting. My LWS explained to me how welding used compressed air fittings on the argon in the past, but have since changed over to CGA as a standard. The older compression style is similar, but not CGA, from what he said...but the adapter is common. If someone wants to use a standard CGA-580->CGA-580 (male/male) you need the threaded adapter for the Everlast flowmeter. My LWS sold me one for $5 in case I want to use that hose on the Everlast flowmeter. I'm pretty sure my Victor flowmeter is going to stay on the tank, but keeping the Everlast accessories to include if I sell my machine. The point here Mark is that not only did you not answer the question, you told me I should just use what you supplied to me, which I had been doing.

    A similar experience asking about setting the point gap on my machine. Eventually I may need to set the gap, and by seeing online I would say there's a good chance of it at some point. So I don't understand why someone who owns the machine I have wouldn't want to understand that? Machines seem to need this done periodically, so best to understand and know how to do it, IMO.

    During this time I'm being told by your cheer leading squad that I'm crying about all of this and should focus on welding.

    So I don't get it. If I ask a question about my machine, I'm told I'm crying and should go weld with what I have. But I have been welding with what I have, and honestly, I keep replacing the accessories that were supplied with my welder as I will always be able to use the accessories on any welder, not only an Everlast. Replaced my flowmeter, replaced the hose, replaced my stinger, going to replace the cables...sure, that is not needed to have an operating machine, but criticizing someone for upgrading their accessories seems un-needed. I will keep my accessories I buy, they will always be useful to me.

    There's no crying here, I'm typing on my keyboard. I'm not complaining about my welder, just trying to upgrade it to have good accessories and work for me. I'm only pointing out to you my experience dealing with Everlast and the response I've gotten. It is not the same support I get from a top tier company, that's all I know.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    No,

    It’s a "joke" to ignore what is obvious for most any welding brand producer/seller, about free return-shipping not being offered beyond 30-days, or so.

    Miller doesn't guarantee free shipping for 1-year. Harbor Freight doesn't either. But, yes, those two brands do have more outlets that do, or might, make the delivery of a unit in need of repair/replacement/money-back a virtually costless process during the warrantee, for them and the end user. And that’s good for both them and their customers, even though the two brands are priced and marketed quite differently. So that point is valid.

    But, how about those nice HTP InverTIG 221 and ProPulse200 units that have only one sales outlet that I know of, being in the Great Lakes area of N.A., and which are imported from an Italian producer, with HTP offering only a free return-shipping for 90 days, but still not 1-year?

    You’re not crying about that, with HTP…

    I mean, besides HF on the new Vulcan line warrantee, HTP, with its 3-year overall warrantee, is the highest period for free shipping that I've seen, at 90-days. But Everlast still beats all others with the 5-year portion/length of their IGBT welder warrantee, which seems more valuable to me, as if there might be a problem with any welder brand, it will probably occur during the free return-shipping period, if the welder is put right into use, and then potentially after a longer period.

    Yes, I too have seen forum comments from “name brand” users having unit failures right after the 3-year warrantee expires too, which left those units economically unfeasible to repair.

    Most of us on welding forums over a longer period have offered help to many people who buy their first TIG welder, lets say, who fumble around with it for weeks or months, blaming the machine for why their tungsten balls up, their AC beads make soup out of the metal, and a host of other symptoms that turn out to be nothing more than an attention deficit of the user. And, via forums, it's nice to help those people step through stuff like that, as they get their "ah ha" moment, maybe after revealing that their metal was galvanized, or something like that, and so finally correcting it on their end, to then they begin having good success.

    Of course, with the volume of Everlast units sold, and with a lot of newbies out there, Everlast would undoubtedly have a deluge of costly, free return-shipping demands from newbies, with needless RMAs for nothing more than settings, adjustment, or other user errors.

    But, yeah, HF has that interesting new 1-year warrantee/money-back return policy on some pretty cool basic new units.

    Of course, Hobby, you're not loading up one of those HF unit into your pickup, Im guessing, and neither am I, because that warrantee isn't compelling enough to make me, at least, buy one of those HF units. But I might also recommend them, in some cases, to a lot of people, and actually have, if I recall.

    Otherwise, Everlast’s 30-day, 100% satisfaction policy, with free-return shipping, is no “joke”.

    I’ve exercised it myself, over 3 years ago.

    And I don’t mind at all, if the so-called need arises, that to exercise the remaining free parts/labor or replacement portion of the 5-year Everlast warrantee may be $100, or more, in round-trip shipping costs.

    Having "free" 100% satisfaction/return-shipping costs paid by the seller, limited to 30-90 days (i.e., free welder rental, for the Millennial generation), rather than a 1-year, for those unit brands that don't have pervasive, tax-collecting, brick-and-mortar retail sites, is very reasonable, as purchasers of these units can certainly afford a mere shipping cost, if the need ever arises within a 5-year period. And it also imposes a sort of discipline on new users to pay attention, and actually prove that they can utilize their unit earlier, if they want to exercise the free-to-them return-shipping portion of the warrantee.

    Of course, there's still going to be crybabies, nonetheless...
    heres an easy one for you..google lincoln , miller and everlest welders and you get a ton of hits for problems with everlast and these same debates on multiple forums about everlast problems , but not for Lincoln or miller, yes there are a few issues with blue and red but not the systemic issues and problems with the chicom welders namely everlast and I doubt very much everlast is out selling lincoln and miller to warrant the much higher problematic issues with everlast...but im willing to bet if you cut yourself( no not saying you should) you will bleed green..LOL...and again im not debating the welder itself, I wouldnt buy one just as I wouldnt buy a harbor freight or htp, ill stick with lincoln or miller, my choice my money..but many people that want to buy a good quality welder with support are being mislead by all the flash and wording written by marketing experts to compel people to buy chicom copies of name brands thinking they are as good with the same level of support..and those are the facts..dispute that everlast has anything close to what lincoln or miller has as far as infrastructure in the USA...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement