ESAB Rebel 205ic - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: ESAB Rebel 205ic

Sounds like a product that was already in the work and the foot pedal was a last minute "Oh, wait, you want that too? The product is already developed. We will find a way to add it to the programming" A problem we had in 2010 and solved.

I figure that the AC frequency is of concern too. We've determined (as well as MIller apparently) that kind of AC frequency can do damage to units like this. Also I am pulling from the fact that at the shows they had the AC frequency locked down to a narrow range.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I checked with my source. Nothing in stock yet. The ESAB supplier is having trouble with setting peak amps and having the foot control go from 5 to set amps. It goes from 5 to wide open. Higher ups want it released anyway but engineers warn of public push back. I'll have more in a few days.
    in 2019, when people can write software for simple logic control boards in about an hour... I don't get why they are having such issues. Either their inverter boards are not up to scratch and they're trying to write software to limit them, or they have a horribly malfunctioning development team.

I love ESAB stuff, I'm a huge fan of most of their machines, but it seems like they are selling out.

I believe somewhere in here some one may have mentioned problems with the high frequency causing issues. Software is not always going to fix hardware issues.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

It must be embarrassing for Esab… their site said available January, now they took that down and replaced with "pre-order now"
    Tom

I like my ESAB equipment but gave up on waiting or wanting one, had it in the budget end of year 2018. It's taken to long, this has been on the books for like 3 years to be released.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

ESAB is blowing out some 301i AC/DC units for 50% off. I bought one and it Blew Up, Took it back for replace and the new one blew up too.. No More.. Lucky to get a refund. This is why Miller can charge so much for a Dynasty.
    Thermal Arc 320SP
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Thermal Arc 190S
    Cut Master 82, 42.
    Victor Gas App.
    Ellis 1600
    Evolution Compound Mitre.
    Boxes of welding crap.

I guess the seweed green thing was a slight at Everlast, but considering the rebel is Chinese and hasn't even materialized after over a year (and the Everlast has been out, running stably for a year and a half), and the Miller is off shore too, throw that stone very gingerly. What was with a brand does not necessarily reflect what is. That cuts both ways.[/QUOTE]

The only machine made overseas for or by Miller is the thunderbolt. I just got off the phone with them after reading you post, checking to see where the millermatics, multimatics and Dynasty's were made ( I guess I could have checked on my 350p but I wanted to know present time where everything is made ) and that is what she told me. Before you spread false info, please check with the source next time. You had me upset for a minute.

They had the esab a couple years ago at fabtech and it still is giving them fits it seems, I give them credit for not putting junk out before it's ready but somtimes you just gotta start over if it's a problem child, and I question any company whose spokesman/salesman is always argumentative when anyone questions them that to me is a bigger red flag as to how you'll be treated if you have issues with their product, speak softly and carry a big stick
    Last edited by pat h; 02-01-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dad View Post
    I guess the seweed green thing was a slight at Everlast, but considering the rebel is Chinese and hasn't even materialized after over a year (and the Everlast has been out, running stably for a year and a half), and the Miller is off shore too, throw that stone very gingerly. What was with a brand does not necessarily reflect what is. That cuts both ways.
    The only machine made overseas for or by Miller is the thunderbolt. I just got off the phone with them after reading you post, checking to see where the millermatics, multimatics and Dynasty's were made ( I guess I could have checked on my 350p but I wanted to know present time where everything is made ) and that is what she told me. Before you spread false info, please check with the source next time. You had me upset for a minute. [/QUOTE]

If anyone goes to there Local Welding Supply and looks at the Miller boxes you will see on the label that Everything including Bobcats are " Assembled" in USA. Miller has not actually made welding equipmet for 8-9 years. Go check guys.
    Thermal Arc 320SP
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Thermal Arc 190S
    Cut Master 82, 42.
    Victor Gas App.
    Ellis 1600
    Evolution Compound Mitre.
    Boxes of welding crap.

Quote Originally Posted by dad View Post
    I guess the seweed green thing was a slight at Everlast, but considering the rebel is Chinese and hasn't even materialized after over a year (and the Everlast has been out, running stably for a year and a half), and the Miller is off shore too, throw that stone very gingerly. What was with a brand does not necessarily reflect what is. That cuts both ways.
    The only machine made overseas for or by Miller is the thunderbolt. I just got off the phone with them after reading you post, checking to see where the millermatics, multimatics and Dynasty's were made ( I guess I could have checked on my 350p but I wanted to know present time where everything is made ) and that is what she told me. Before you spread false info, please check with the source next time. You had me upset for a minute. [/QUOTE]

Well, that's a technical definition I am sure, because while not technically overseas, their stuff is being made in Mexico too. Including the 215.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Well, I'll have to look further into it as far as parts sources that make up the machines. For many years though it seems that we have had to accept parts, ( especially but not limited to electronics ) have been made in China. I honestly do have to really respect that most millers are assembled here though. I have nothing against the Chinese common person trying to earn a living. Heck they probably work harder and more conscientiously than our own people now days since there is probably a line a mile long for a job. The problem that I still see, which is getting ALOT better in some segments, is quality of manufacturing from them. The folks there just do not know what quality is. We in the US know what quality is and how to achieve it since we have been spoiled with the best of the best. We have some sort of compass on what quality looks like, feels like, sounds like etc. I hate the fact that things like welders ( my beloved Miller being probably the highest it seems ) are getting out of reach for the private person ( if you want a robust, electrically efficient, full featured unit ). I obviously like to buy the very best I can afford and hopefully have piece of mind that it will last me a very long time. Miller's reputation and track record seems second to none, including their customer service. If I could afford it ( really justify the expense to the wife ) I would have a Dynasty in the garage right now. I'm not sure about the honesty or longevity of the Everlast company or machines, but the price point is where I wish that they all could be. I am seeing ok reviews of the 210 and 255 ext machines, and would have ordered one already if I knew for sure that it would hold up and would definitely be excited about them if they were assembled here. Lastly, to Lug, I am not trying to start any issues with you or down your company, but some things said do look like false or over inflated statements from time to time. Maybe it's the fact that we are all spending time being a computer cowboy on here and things can be taken out of context as we all know? Anyway, Has Everlast at least thought about a prospect of training folks to be kinda service centers for warrantee work or working with local welding supply companies throughout the country to send them parts to fix them? I'm thinking it would be nice to have at least a few west, central and east coast etc. to save folks on shipping and maybe get their machine back quicker. Especially if deals can be struck with local stores. Heck, I would love to do something like that if I were capable. I have extreme electronic ignorance it seems.

Dad.

A few things. First, I appreciate your reasoned reply and criticism.

All companies make statements, unfortunately, that turn out to be over ambitious or misleading which is not intentional. Some are misleading, not intentionally, but by the ability of some to "read in" to something that wasn't intended and it gets out of proportion and blown up instantly. Other statements are made that are over ambitious. Just as the Miller guy told you that none of their units except one was made overseas...which is veritably not true. I am sure the guy believed the company "line". The issue is that Miller was building stuff overseas/out of country and slapping a cabinet over it and calling it "made in USA" for some time and their own lawyers finally made them change it to "assembled in USA" to reflect the situation more accurately. (This was a statement made to me that the lawyers made them do it from a upper level Miller employee). They also announced the Dynasty 280 and released it on their website long before it was ready for sale, then pulled it and wouldn't comment on it again and then re-released it. Somewhere I have pictures of the internals of the new "multi" unit from Miller, and all the major components are stamped "made in Mexico", and even missing a clamp on one of the gas lines. But no, they say it is assembled in the USA I guess.

ESAB has mislead customers by constantly taking preorders since 2017 and pushing back release date of this object. They "suddenly" have this stellar warranty and service, yet, I can't find anyone locally to fix my own ESAB or anyone willing to sell them. They literally bought their way into a reputation by absorbing other companies with existing product. Their own Rebel line is an offshoot of ThermalArc's hard work and ground breaking, which is also an offshoot of our own early MTS200 as we made the MTS 200 for about two years in the same factory that TA used to start their Fabricator line before they began manufacture there. I love my ESAB product, but service after the sale has never been their selling point, until recently when they bought into it. Time will tell if their commitment is long lived.

As far as our service, we have chosen to have a central service facility, based in TN. The reason for that is that 1) They are fully trained and factory trained in person. We bring factory guys over here and train them in house with our issues, and they train us/them in proper repair techniques. 2) They are fully equipped with factory equipment. Some test and repair equipment is made by the factory itself. The service facility is equipped with this. 3) These people are not just a bunch of pull and replace part technicians. 4) They units are load tested and checked before being returned to the customer. Your ordinary local repair shop doesn't have this kind of training or equipment. Yes, they can pull a part and replace it until they find the problem, but that may cost you extra. And they don't always have factory diagnostic capability.

We have investigated it, and this is the constant issue we found with local service centers. They often guess at the problem and it ends up costing more in the long run for the customer and us, and there is no quality control over it. When a welder comes back to us, any upgrades or programming updates that are available are made to the unit while in service. We monitor our return times. Other than shipping time in some cases, it is not much longer if any than repair times with competitors. Yes, you are going to hear of long times from people from time to time, but the fact is that you will hear that from other "brand" customers at the dealerships if you just ask. We get new customers all the time because their other brand unit has been in the shop for 8 weeks or longer and the blue or red gleam has lost its luster through the experience.

We've made a concentrated effort though to make much of our machine line mostly "plug and play" so that our service can be even more expedient. When diagnosed over the phone with the customer, many common parts can be sent out to the customer so they can be snapped in if the customer appears to be capable of turning a screw driver the right way and operating a volt/ohm meter. This is far faster service than even a shop repair at a local repair center. No we don't demand they do it, but in cases where appropriate this is what happens...and the customer gets a chance to become more familiar with a machine.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I think my 255ext works better than when it was new since it came back from being serviced in TN.

Current ESAB repair times (or new unit replacement) is 11 days. That's how long it took in my area, dropped off at my LWS.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Ok. I think we have gotten off track with this thread. My apologies to the original poster. Lug, look for a PM to further hash things out. As far as the Rebel 205, I do hope that they get it ironed out and dependable for future sales. More welders on the market if dependable is more better

I wouldn't want the first generation of this welder with all the delays.... I still can't figure out what can be so complex that it can't be figured out by now.
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by FuelieNova View Post
    I wouldn't want the first generation of this welder with all the delays.... I still can't figure out what can be so complex that it can't be figured out by now.
    tom
    About 18 months since I first heard of this unit! I thought then it would make a good portable unit but even then I would have waited until they proved to be reliable. I feel the same about any newly introduced machine. That includes the Miller 220 version and even the new Millermatic 255 which did have a minor problem soon after release.
    I hope it all results in a well tested reliable machine. But don't hold your breath waiting for a Rebel 235 AC/DC!
    Ernie F.

tom
    A lot of complex issues, especially when adding AC. Isolation etc. Everything has to play nice with each other. Cooling too. Accomplishing this is not so much the problem given a foot ball field to put it in. It is doable, but the published size of the rebel definitely would make it a challenge.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

So I'm not being a dick but you guys figured it out, Miller figured it out and it wouldn't surprise me if Lincoln has something in the works.
    It just seems like Esab has been building welders long enough that their engineering shouldn't be this far behind others....
    Tom

As mentioned by lugweld it probably has something to do with how the High Frequency is acting being so crammed into the same Rebel EMP 215ic Chassis and having adequate cooling etc. They'll get it sooner or later or end up refunding the pre sales. From what I understand it is already available though. https://www.bakersgas.com/ESA0558102...waAg1zEALw_wcB

Last edited by N2 Welding; 02-19-2019 at 02:13 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

I still don't get it.

All you have these days is an electronic frequency oscillator for HF which from even 25 years ago these were separately packaged units bolted and wired into the enclosure. They obviously play nice with the inverter circuitry on every inverter TIG produced this century.

What's the difference between CC inverter for stick/TIG and CV inverter for MIG? Erm... very freakin little. There have been CC/CV inverters, albeit DC only (due to demand from construction/fabrication industry) around for 25-30 years.

When in CC mode, it operates just like all the other inverter TIGs on the market, who have managed to make AC/DC inverters with HF work just fine.... hmm.... And when in CV mode (using an extra feedback loop to regulate voltage) you don't need HF. I sincerely doubt that a HF unit is going to kill a feedback loop that isn't even in operation when the HF is.
    The rest of the MIG gubbins are neither here or there. It's a DC motor that pushes wire, and a voltage regulator for it. HF won't affect it.

My best guess is that they have cheaped out on buying the main inverter drives and their unreliability is coming back to bite them in the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    As mentioned by lugweld it probably has something to do with how the High Frequency is acting being so crammed into the same Rebel EMP 215ic Chassis and having adequate cooling etc. They'll get it sooner or later or end up refunding the pre sales. From what I understand it is already available though. https://www.bakersgas.com/ESA0558102...waAg1zEALw_wcB

Nope not yet, I ask them and they said sometime Feb maybe.
    Tom

Nope not yet, I ask them and they said sometime Feb maybe.
    Tom
    Oh, well then Bakers Gas is being missleading in that add.

Go to their website and try to order... it says pre-order.
    Tom

Go to their website and try to order... it says pre-order.
    Tom
    No thanks, that is more than I am willing to do to find out they actually don’t have it.

Finally! It appears Baker's has them, their ad states "Orders shipping in the order they are received."
    Last edited by metalman21; 03-01-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Ernie F.