Amico Power TIG-225, Review, Etc. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Amico Power TIG-225, Review, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    So, both parts of the video review are up.

Good review! I wanted to buy this model but ended up getting the Amico 160amp stick machine.. I like it so far and still want this model.. For homeowner use it should be more than adequate..

Am I the only one getting black boxes instead of the videos?
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    Working fine here..

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    Working for me too. I can post the links another way if you want.

If anyone cares, here is the update video.

Wow, that's an XLNT review.. I think you were very fair about the good and the bad and really did go in depth about the issues.

Interesting with the adapter they sent you, which looks like the adapter used on the compressed air fitting (as I understand it)...my inverter did at least include the proper hose and connectors for the machine...I wonder how something like that slips through inspection...?

Hat's off on the good review.

Cheers,
    Alan

Thank you for your review. I watched yours and the amico tig 205, and the 205 seems to have a longer post flow.

I called amico, there seems to be 3 versions of welders that they are carrying. The dark blue/green (which is the older stick models), the amico with the plastic flap to cover the controls, and the version that you reviewed.

Im not certain what the differences inside are, but the plastic flap versions do not appear to have HF start. There is also a version without the flap also without HF start, but they have no gas solinoid.
    The review for the 205 seems to have a 3-4 second post flow, but the reviewer (Fixerfab) on yourtube seems to have a way long pre flow, and a acceptable post flow. The internals look similar, but his unit didn't seem to have issues hooking up to his argon tank.

The only reason I want this unit is due to price and portability. I don't have to do too much welding away from my garage, and its impossible for me to take my synchrowave. Most likely I'll just be running it in stick mode.

I wish they just put in a control to turn off HFfor lift mode. Also I do not know what they mean on ebay listing it as "and it even can be adjusted for specialty to make arc softer or harder"

Anyways, gonna bite the bullet. hard to beat for 200 dollars on ebay right now.

I like these "older" versions- they seem better built than whoever their sourcing from for the ones with the plastic flap. The plastic flap ones use a small metal toggle (rather than your version which uses a rocker) and the knob is way tiny. Im not certain if the new ones are better or cheaper made.
    Last edited by madmax718; 06-06-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
    Thank you for your review. I watched yours and the amico tig 205, and the 205 seems to have a longer post flow.

I called amico, there seems to be 3 versions of welders that they are carrying. The dark blue/green (which is the older stick models), the amico with the plastic flap to cover the controls, and the version that you reviewed.

Im not certain what the differences inside are, but the plastic flap versions do not appear to have HF start. There is also a version without the flap also without HF start, but they have no gas solinoid.
    The review for the 205 seems to have a 3-4 second post flow, but the reviewer (Fixerfab) on yourtube seems to have a way long pre flow, and a acceptable post flow. The internals look similar, but his unit didn't seem to have issues hooking up to his argon tank.

The only reason I want this unit is due to price and portability. I don't have to do too much welding away from my garage, and its impossible for me to take my synchrowave. Most likely I'll just be running it in stick mode.

I wish they just put in a control to turn off HFfor lift mode. Also I do not know what they mean on ebay listing it as "and it even can be adjusted for specialty to make arc softer or harder"

Anyways, gonna bite the bullet. hard to beat for 200 dollars on ebay right now.

I like these "older" versions- they seem better built than whoever their sourcing from for the ones with the plastic flap. The plastic flap ones use a small metal toggle (rather than your version which uses a rocker) and the knob is way tiny. Im not certain if the new ones are better or cheaper made.
    Where are you located? Mine is currently up for sale with the CK torch I showed in the update video. Also have a small foot switch I haven't wired up yet (just a cheap, plastic thing, $8 or so on Amazon, but still).

And you are correct, the new ones with the control cover flap do not have HF start. I asked Amico and they confirmed it does not.

Ya, I would have jumped on yours, but I already bought the unit yesterday on ebay. Im in the NYC area. I did follow your advice and get the smaller unit (200 amp), and that one has a decent tear apart review which makes the internals look just about the same. 99% of the time I'll be in stick mode anyways, and these cheap tungstens are way more affordable that for my miller. (not... better.. necessarily).

What do you think about the "new" units they carry? To me they look cheaper. But thats just my opinion on the switch, dial, and a pretty much useless cover. No other commerical grade welder uses a flap. Flaps are usually designed when the front cant take a beating.

Maybe I'll just buy your torch setup...
    Last edited by madmax718; 06-07-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
    Ya, I would have jumped on yours, but I already bought the unit yesterday on ebay. Im in the NYC area. I did follow your advice and get the smaller unit (200 amp), and that one has a decent tear apart review which makes the internals look just about the same. 99% of the time I'll be in stick mode anyways, and these cheap tungstens are way more affordable that for my miller. (not... better.. necessarily).

What do you think about the "new" units they carry? To me they look cheaper. But thats just my opinion on the switch, dial, and a pretty much useless cover. No other commerical grade welder uses a flap. Flaps are usually designed when the front cant take a beating.

Maybe I'll just buy your torch setup...
    If I had to guess, I'd say the new units are probably the same (or mostly so) internally, with different case/controls. As to the quality compared to the old ones, I can't say, though I bet it is similar.

If you want to buy my torch setup shoot me a PM and we can work something out. But honestly, if it were me, I'd buy something smaller unless you imagine running at or near 200A very much. I already had that torch so I used it, but if I were buying a torch for mine I'd personally go with a 9 size torch. Much smaller and lighter. But that's just me. If you want or need a 26 size torch, mine doesn't have a ton of use on it and it is a flex head.

the smallest they sell is a 160, and while I dont see myself running near 200 other than a few times here and there, it was really for the potential of running 7018' with the possibility of 100 percent duty cycle. The ratings (probably over rated) is 160 at 60%, (for the 160 model), 180 at 60%, and 200 at 60%. In theory I should be able to run stick continuously without overheating with the 180, but I went with the 200 for a little more overhead. I can count on one hand I needed anything half inch thick. Most is quarter inch or 3/8th. ( or less).

Also, someone else had done a tear down review (just like you) and between the 205 and the 225 looked almost identical, and it looks pretty decent inside. Im fairly confident I will get the same as what you two got, but I could not get the interior shots of the other amico models. Also, when mfg's build smaller models, sometimes they have a different design.

I doubt the mfg are the same between the HF model you have and the new non HF- they even said on the phone they were different companies, so while all welders are similar, I do not believe the build quality is the same (whether better or worse).
    Last edited by madmax718; 06-11-2018 at 04:26 PM.

I had a positive experience with Amico and the 225 i got, for what its worth.

The customer support was more responsive and helpful than a lot i could mention...

They even took a return, no questions on a unit I purchased that I simply didnt need.

Just wish theyd lengthen their warranty a little. Ive only had the noted welder a few months.

Well I got the 205.. Better boxing than I expected. Was expecting a generic box.
    Sturdy box and everything arrived ok. It is a positive pressure fan, so a external filter can be added for filtration. Bad news is that it is not an on demand fan,as listed online. I really don't have a huge issue with this, other than being a bit noisier. Seems like pretty good construction until you get to the cables. The jacket is a little.. soft. The stinger is badly crimped, in fact they left about 10 strands of copper outside of the crimp.
    The stinger is not copper, it's some sort of metal with a copperish spray paint.

Ground clamp was passable, but the spacing doesn't seem like it would work well with my magnetic ground. Will have to test that.

Plugged her right into 220, grabbed some 1/8 6011 fleetwelds. I set to 90, but seems to be smoother around 86-87.
    Burned 4 rods back to back
    Cables were only slightly warm, not even enough to be of concern. The fan did not increase in speed, nor the overhead light coming on.

I'm very out of practice, so I kept long arcing , kept having to remind myself it wasn't mig...