Flexible grinding wheels
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Flexible grinding wheels

Have any of you used the flexible grinding wheels. I used the walter brand however a bit pricey imo, so they are out.
    I did come across the "green" flexible wheels but haven't tried them as of yet.
    I just don't like the hard wheels or grinding rocks, so I was just wondering if some of you had any feedback.

Jim
    Jim,

I don't mean to be argumentative and cantankerous,
    but I am getting older and a bit crotchety!

Addendum; AND CRANKY

Re: Flexible grinding wheels

Hadn't really heard of them, do they come in 4.5"? Only saw 7" when I googled
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Hadn't seen them before... but I see they been around for quite a while in a few different china brands of all sizes, guess I'll have to get one and see just how flexible it is and how good they work/last.

I tend to agree with this lately.I've been leaning more and more this way. You still have to have flappers but for hawg'in.....

These things?
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

That's interesting. I have some Pferd files, both triangle and round. They make good product, but comes from Germany...

I suspect this are not cheap wheels. I know the Walters zip disc will flex just a tad...and then SNAP, $5 down the drain...these would eliminate that problem...

Those cut off wheels are pretty slick but that's not what I'm talking about.
    https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Grin...ng+wheel&psc=1
    These are the chinese answer to the 3m version

those flexible cut off wheels would probably be somewhat safer to use as well it would appear. What's the cost comparison?

Jim
    Last edited by welditforyou; 04-09-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Jim,

I don't mean to be argumentative and cantankerous,
    but I am getting older and a bit crotchety!

Addendum; AND CRANKY

Pearl abrasives makes some flexible grinding and cutting disks for a 4.5" angle grinder. I liked the samples I got several years ago. Never found a local supplier to get them from and haven't found a need to mail order them in bulk. Still, a virtual tool in my bag of tricks that I keep handy for tough jobs.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    Pearl abrasives makes some flexible grinding and cutting disks for a 4.5" angle grinder. I liked the samples I got several years ago. Never found a local supplier to get them from and haven't found a need to mail order them in bulk. Still, a virtual tool in my bag of tricks that I keep handy for tough jobs.
    What the hell is putting your CWI number up in your signature but leaving the first three numbers out about?

Either your going to advertise it and let someone look you up or not.....

Sorry for the derail
    American Welding Society - Certified Welding Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by beags86 View Post
    What the hell is putting your CWI number up in your signature but leaving the first three numbers out about?

Either your going to advertise it and let someone look you up or not.....

Sorry for the derail
    It could be he is afraid someone will see and use his CWI identity for nefarious reasons. He's been a member here a long while, a very reliable an esteemed member of WW.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    It could be he is afraid someone will see and use his CWI identity for nefarious reasons. He's been a member here a long while, a very reliable an esteemed member of WW.
    I know that's why don't advertise my number at all.
    I am not trying to bust his balls, i just don't understand.
    Nor did I say anything about his status on WW.
    American Welding Society - Certified Welding Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    I tend to agree with this lately.I've been leaning more and more this way. You still have to have flappers but for hawg'in.....
    The thing is that hard grinding wheels are not meant to be used on the flat. They are supposed to be applied to the material to be ground at 45 degrees or so. You are actually grinding with the edge of the wheel, not the flat. So the first comparison (abrasive disc VS hard wheel) is not fair at all. IMHO

I love Pearl FLEX4536 & FLEX4560 discs. I use them as the "in between" after a hard disc when heading to a flap. They are great for flattening and blending on square tube jobs. Just be careful when straight out if the box. The leading edge will really eat at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    The thing is that hard grinding wheels are not meant to be used on the flat. They are supposed to be applied to the material to be ground at 45 degrees or so. You are actually grinding with the edge of the wheel, not the flat. So the first comparison (abrasive disc VS hard wheel) is not fair at all. IMHO
    agree 100%. when you use an abrasive wheel on the flat you are polishing not grinding. isn't a flexible grinding wheel a sanding disk?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla