Welder Plug End and Cord Help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welder Plug End and Cord Help

I’m a hobbyist that just bought a Lincoln Weld-Pak 180HD. The welder comes with a 50amp plug end but only 14ga. wire in the cord. I need to change the plug end but was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and change out the cord at the same time rather than making a bulky pig tail.

Suggestions welcome - plus if I replace the cord is 12ga. recommend?

Thanks

Re: Welder Plug End and Cord Help

The supplied cord is fine. The duty cycle of the machine allows for smaller guage cord as there is time for the cord to cool between welds.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Its made that way for a reason, but if you want cut the plug off and put on what ever you want. It may void the warranty, but that's your call.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Quote Originally Posted by MBG View Post
    I’m a hobbyist that just bought a Lincoln Weld-Pak 180HD. The welder comes with a 50amp plug end but only 14ga. wire in the cord. I need to change the plug end but was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and change out the cord at the same time rather than making a bulky pig tail.

Suggestions welcome - plus if I replace the cord is 12ga. recommend?

Thanks
    I would just make an extension cord using 12/3 or some 10/3 cord with the plug that matches your receptacle and then a 6-50r to accept the welder's 6-50P. You'll probably need an extension cord at some point
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Thanks for the replies. I did buy 15' of #12 three wire cord. Hesitant to open up the welder but will probably do it. With that big NEMA 6-50 plug that comes on it how do you guys deal with it?

Thanks,

Mike

We install a 6-50 receptacle
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Yep. That's the easy option. You can buy premade extension cords then too.

All my 220 stuff has the 3 prong range plug because that's what is common around me. Came in handy lately as I've had to get power from behind the oven. That causes scheduling conflicts with meals though.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    x2

Most of my 240v devices use that plug and it is what Miller supplies for the plasma and mig welder I have. Even though my TIG and air compressor should be hard wired due to the large amount of current they can draw, they have the same plugs and are run on a 50A breaker.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

Maybe should review what currently have for 220V power. I've been a serious woodworker hobbyist for many years. My 220V tool are mobile since my garage is my shop too. The 220V power I use for my tools is an outlet with a 30Amp "dryer " type receptacle (wire from the service box to receptacle box is #6). I have a 25 foot #10 3-wire cord that plugs into this outlet and have a receptacle on the other end that plugs into the tools.

After reading the responses here and reading a post on extension cords I'm thinking I have the following choices:

1) Replace the cord on the welder to have a plug that matches my current extension cord receptacle (Ed's suggestion).
    2) Make a conversion "pigtail" for my extension cord.
    3) Replace my "dryer" style receptacle at the wall with the 6-50. Then purchase a 6-50 extension cord for the welder and a 6-50 plug for the end of my current cord. This would require me to plug/unplug the extension cords depending if I'm welding or woodworking.

I'm siding with (1) for now and if I end up welding often maybe invest in (3) or even install a separate breaker and electrical run for the welder.

Thanks,

Mike

Parallel off the dryer plug and add a welder plug. You can only use one at once. That way your not swapping out the plugs to work.

Brand new Miller Multimatic 200 has 14 gauge cord. It is how they are. It is fine for a certain distance. Miller actually says all that is required up to 65 feet is a 14 gauge extension cord on 240 volt.

My 2 cents - leave the power cord as is, then me being as anal as I am, I'd go with minimum 12 ga extension cord, more than 20ft, I'd do 10ga, up to 30ft or so.

Oops, meant for another thread.

This may work for some that want 6-50r from a 30 amp dryer without messing around.

They are a little proud of it though. $70 ooch but worth it if you need it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...030_em_1p_9_ti

https://i.imgur.com/ylHkGnW.png
    Last edited by danielplace; 05-08-2018 at 08:24 AM.

It's a convenience area. Welders cone with a 115v 15 amp, 115v 20 amp, or 230v 50 amp plug....

If they sold smaller welders with out a plug, since there are like 100 different plugs that they could use, half the people would burn there garage down putting on the wrong setup. That said, putting a 50 amp plug on a 20 amp machine isn't the smartest thing either. But code says you need to have the proper breaker for the machine anyways.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk