Everlast Powertig 185DV Argon Hose
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Everlast Powertig 185DV Argon Hose

Hey guys,

About ready to start practicing TIG on my older generation Powertig185DV. The machine has a hosebarb in the rear, caliper measures .33”. I know I can convert this to a gas fitting, but I’m not gonna bother with it for the time being.

My question, what size hose(diameter), and what type of hose do I need to purchase. Will be running 100% Argon. Will existing argon hoses on the market fit the barb, if I cut the end? Or do I need to piece this together from flowmeter to machine?

Please help a new guy out!

Thanks
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Re: Everlast Powertig 185DV Argon Hose

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    About ready to start practicing TIG on my older generation Powertig185DV. The machine has a hosebarb in the rear, caliper measures .33”. I know I can convert this to a gas fitting, but I’m not gonna bother with it for the time being.

My question, what size hose(diameter), and what type of hose do I need to purchase. Will be running 100% Argon. Will existing argon hoses on the market fit the barb, if I cut the end? Or do I need to piece this together from flowmeter to machine?

Please help a new guy out!
    Mark,

No expert here, but I have replaced the argon hose on my Everlast i-Tig 201. I don't know if the connectors are the same or not. In the past I posted on the Everlast site asking if there was anywhere you could find which connectors were used on the machines, but was told by their support I should just use what was supplied.

I replaced my Chinesium flowmeter with a Victor 2425 I got off ebay. The biggest difference on the flowmeter is the Victor has a much finer adjustment, so it's much easier to set the setting with it, over the courses threaded Chinesium flowmeter, which is REALLY sensitive in comparison...not a huge deal, but very noticeable.

I don't know if your Chinesium flowmeter is the same as I got, but if so it has an older style compressed air fitting on it. These were commonly used in the past, but since the industry has moved to CGA-580. A fairly standard argon hose has CGA-580 males on each end. Victor supplied an adapter to change the compressed mail to a CGA-580 (thread may be the same) and you can get them at any LWS or online easily enough, about $5-$6. This will allow the standard CGA-580 male hose connector to the flowmeter.

I've read in the past, and maybe you have also, that smaller hoses will save gas by not using as much for the initial burst of argon from the solenoid. There's a place you can get small diameter hoses, and not too much more than a typical hose...my LWS claims this gas savings is BS as you will loose more with pre/post flow. That I don't know, but shovelon mentioned in another thread that he saves gas by using those lines from this place on the web. If you want to use your Chinesium flowmeter, make sure you get a cable with the correct ends. My inverter has a CGA-580 female on the rear of the machine, so I am using this cable from Smith with mine at the moment. This hose is 1/4" OD and 3/16" ID as I recall...I am not sure how that compares to netwelding.com's hoses, but it is smaller than the rubber/poly (whatever it is) hose that came with the unit. I felt if a piece of slag landed on that hose it would be a gonner, but reality is it might be less prone to that, I have no idea.

Lastly, use the shortest hose you can is what I've been told.

Hope some of that might help you. This is what I learned from doing research and replacing mine, Everlast was of no help to supply connector information on their own welder...yet another example of the poor support they've provided to me.
    Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 04-20-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Argon is a completely inert gas under very little pressure, after the regulator. Take the fittings to any hardware and get whatever fits.

Yeah, I haven’t bought the flowmeter yet, I’ll do some shopping around.

I know that argon is inert, and under little pressure downstream of the flowmeter, just didn’t know if the hose needed to be of any particular type.

I know one end needs to be compatible with whatever flow meter, and the other end needs to fit snugly over the hose barb. Is there a standard I.D. on argon hoses? I guess that’s the actual question I’m asking. Lol.

Everlast has solved this problem on newer machines, by supplying a standard gas compression fitting going into the solenoid. Just so happens I bought a machine that has the “one size fits all” hose barb.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Everlast has solved this problem on newer machines, by supplying a standard gas compression fitting going into the solenoid.
    Wait a second...you have the first gen 185DV right? I'm looking in the manual on page 20.

It clearly states that you have a CGA-580 female for the gas connection:

2. Gas Connection. This is a 5/8”-18 CGA female gas compression fitting (US and Canada 2014 models and newer).

This is for the 2013-2015 model. Everlast did make a PowerTig 185 that predates the 185DV, per the manuals on their site, and that one is not clear, but yours is providing this is your manual and/or even that the manual is correct. My manual has bad information on setting the point gap, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out other Everlast manuals do as well. However, all-in-all, Everlast provides a "Good Chinesium Manual", FWIW...there is certainly a lot worse, check some of them out...

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/s...20185%20DV.pdf

Just so happens I bought a machine that has the “one size fits all” hose barb.
    Ok, let's make sure we're all on the same page.

The hose has barbed connectors on each side of it. Isn't there a CGA-580 female that the hose screws into on the gas inlet? IOW, when you take the hose off the barb fitting comes with it? I'm pretty sure that must be the case. Measure the thread if you can remove the hose end from the welder, should be 5/8-18.

Now go to the Chinesium flowmeter. You should have a barbed connector on the hose end, and screwed on to a make compressed air fitting, so you have a female compressed fitting with a barb on the other end the hose is attached to.

You either need a hose with a CGA-580 male on one end, and female CGA-320 (per that newwelding.com website). Alternatively you can get one of these adapters and connect it to your Chinesium flowmeter and use a standard argon hose which I believe Miller uses, CGA-580 male on each end like the Smith hose I bought. This information was given to me from my LWS.

Hope that makes sense, wasn't trying to complicate things, but think this is what you need to know about your machine.

EDIT: oh wait, you might have a 2013 model, above it states for 2014 moving forward...if that is the case, replace the connector on the back of the machine, IMO, with a proper CGA-580 female. Everlast might be able to order you the part from China and have it shipped to you. If it's a standard connector you can probably get one local to you.

And people wonder why it costs more for companies like Lincoln or Miller to produce manuals...it's because you probably won't find near the amount of willy-nilly changes and/or different models with the same name...at least not typically for companies like that, maybe I'm speaking out the side of my arse...even Everlast themselves has a hard time keeping track of all of it...how can any one person remember various year models, connector changes, product differences, etc...not to mention 2 dozen welders in each category that continually change when the Chinese manufacturer changes their underwear.. Of course the response from most people is, "At least it's cheap". And that goes for me also as I ended up with one of them...

Alan
    Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 04-20-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: 2013 model ???

Yeah, at that point in time, I believe they were shipping with the barb fitting inlet to have one production line for all countries.

Name:  E51318B8-4E1F-40C2-8688-5E37DA4CF9D8.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  93.2 KB

The barb comes out the back of the machine and goes into the solenoid, it’s just a slip over barb, that you’re supposed to use a hose clamp with. Wouldn’t be that complicated, if I Knew the I.D. of standard Argon Hoses sold online, and LWS. However every one I’ve seen has the fittings already installed.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Just found a video detailing the appropriate size hose, 1/4” or 5/16” will fit the barbed fitting. Just need to make sure the hose I order will have the correct fitting for the flowmeter, and be 1/4” or 5/16” I.D. and I should be set. Just need to find some hoses that list the tubing sizes, either that or get a flowmeter that has a barbed fitting as well, then just buy some 1/4” tubing. Lol
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Just found a video detailing the appropriate size hose, 1/4” or 5/16” will fit the barbed fitting. Just need to make sure the hose I order will have the correct fitting for the flowmeter, and be 1/4” or 5/16” I.D. and I should be set. Just need to find some hoses that list the tubing sizes, either that or get a flowmeter that has a barbed fitting as well, then just buy some 1/4” tubing. Lol
    You should be able to see the back of the connector by taking the cover off.

I would look to see if you can easily replace it with a CGA-580. Probably another barb on the other side with another plastic hose to the solenoid...

They have CGA-580 to barb at newwelding.com, at least I think I saw them. They do sell barb connectors as "generic" to fit various machines...

Lastly my LWS said the style of connector on my Chinesium hose were some of the better ones. The style is that of Olsen I was told, but honestly don't know if the ones provided are Olsen or not...but he claimed that the crimp style barb is superior over the hose clamp style, so if you do keep barb consider that as you might look for that style. Like replacing with a barb->CGA580 on your machine.

I hope I'm not coming off sounding like a know-it-all, not trying to...this just happens to be something I went through recently myself.

Cheers,
    Alan

Re: Everlast Powertig 185DV Argon Ho

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    You should be able to see the back of the connector by taking the cover off.

I would look to see if you can easily replace it with a CGA-580. Probably another barb on the other side with another plastic hose to the solenoid...

They have CGA-580 to barb at newwelding.com, at least I think I saw them. They do sell barb connectors as "generic" to fit various machines...

Lastly my LWS said the style of connector on my Chinesium hose were some of the better ones. The style is that of Olsen I was told, but honestly don't know if the ones provided are Olsen or not...but he claimed that the crimp style barb is superior over the hose clamp style, so if you do keep barb consider that as you might look for that style. Like replacing with a barb->CGA580 on your machine.

I hope I'm not coming off sounding like a know-it-all, not trying to...this just happens to be something I went through recently myself.

Cheers,
    Alan
    The "standard" gas hose fitting is 5/8-18 with a tapered seat, but I think you are mixing things up a little. CGA-580 is the fitting that is on the input side of the regulator/flowgauge that threads into the gas bottle valve, not the fitting that the gas hose connects to on the regulator or welder.

He does not want a CGA-580 fitting on his welder.
    Last edited by BigTB; 04-21-2018 at 07:01 AM.

The gas hoses I have are all 1/4" ID. It sound like your barb fitting is designed for a 1/4" ID hose as well. If you get a standard argon gas hose with the threaded fittings, you should be able to cut the fitting off one end of the hose and use a hose clamp to connect it to your hose barb. No big deal.

If the regulator you want to use has a barb fitting too, just get a length of hose from the hardware or auto parts store, 1/4" ID. If you go to the auto parts store don't get vacuum hose, as it is very low pressure and will likely stretch a lot, but just about anything else should work.
    Last edited by BigTB; 04-21-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    He does not want a CGA-580 fitting on his welder.
    Many of the welders have CGA-580 Female on the machine gas inlet. It needs a CGA-580 to screw into it.

I thought this was the most common in the industry post transition from the compressed air fitting (CGA-320). I could be wrong. We're not talking about the input of the flowmeter, that is also CGA-580, but we're talking about the output on the flow meter which goes to the welder.

A standard argon hose has a 5/8" x 18 right hand thread male fitting on each end. Your not working with a standard welder, it was made in CHINA. A piece of 1/4" hose and some small hose clamps and your set.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Many of the welders have CGA-580 Female on the machine gas inlet. It needs a CGA-580 to screw into it.

I thought this was the most common in the industry post transition from the compressed air fitting (CGA-320). I could be wrong. We're not talking about the input of the flowmeter, that is also CGA-580, but we're talking about the output on the flow meter which goes to the welder.
    I believe the fitting is actually a CGA-032, which uses 5/8"-18 threads. Also referred to as a "B" fitting. See here: https://www.concoa.com/cgachart.html

I know you weren't initially talking about the regulator input, I brought it up because it actually is a CGA-580 fitting. As I said, the output from the flowmeter, and the input on the welder is not a CGA-580 fitting. Much smaller fitting.

As jwmelvin said, CGA-032 (B) fitting.

CGA-320 is used on CO2 cylinders. Never seen it used for compressed air, but I can't say for sure that it never is.
    Last edited by BigTB; 04-21-2018 at 10:28 AM.

The gas hoses I have are all 1/4" ID. It sound like your barb fitting is designed for a 1/4" ID hose as well. If you get a standard argon gas hose with the threaded fittings, you should be able to cut the fitting off one end of the hose and use a hose clamp to connect it to your hose barb. No big deal.

If the regulator you want to use has a barb fitting too, just get a length of hose from the hardware or auto parts store, 1/4" ID. If you go to the auto parts store don't get vacuum hose, as it is very low pressure and will likely stretch a lot, but just about anything else should work.
    Thanks BigTB,

I will do that. Picked up a 125cf bottle today, now just gotta wade through all the different makes of flowmeter and find medium/good quality for a lowish price.

TradToolWorks: You mentioned you had the wrong point gap, on the HF Start, what is the correct gap?
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

TradToolWorks: You mentioned you had the wrong point gap, on the HF Start, what is the correct gap?
    I almost hate to reply, but in the manual for my machine it shows a diagram on the last page of the manaul of the points and explains how to set the point gap. I have seen a number of Everlast welders that needed to get the gap set before the machine would work correctly, this was even the case with Jody Collier, however I've seen it on several of the welding forums and the Everlast forums included.

Several people, including the Everlast Retreiver was chastising me there and here on WeldingWeb about being an expert after getting my machine...after a few posts on the Everlast forum I was told a mistake was made in the manual and that was why the points didn't look the same. Mine has no way to adjust them, aside from bending the tabs with the points on them. A pretty cheazy way to handle that given better points appeared to have been used previously. I have a few pretty crappy looking 3rd world parts in my machine, and after I started to dig around and look at it, it was apparent that whoever assembled it really didn't take too much pride in their work. Everlast continued to point the finger at their competition and claim how much service and support costs when something breaks...a very poor tactic for a vendor. I'm always cautious about vendors that have to trash their competition, and especially when they don't stack up in the way of support.

So no, I haven't changed my gap yet as it seems to work ok and I've been using it. If something happens where I need to check it, I will do that and check the machine at that time. That is if I have the machine that long...I'll most likely be selling my machine with the original accessories when I pull the trigger on a new machine. Not being flush with cash, I have time.

On the argon hose, I gave you the info as I learned, not trying to split @$$#O!E hairs with anyone over what connectors are on what...buy whatever works for your machine and be happy. I was only pointing out that a quality flowmeter, like a Victor, comes from the factory with the adapter and the hose has a male CGA-580 on each end, exactly as mechanic416 pointed out. Thank you for replying George. I would think George would know as he works on and fixes welders as a profession, unlike me, but maybe not. Caveat Emptor!

Cheers,
    Alan

I was only pointing out that a quality flowmeter, like a Victor, comes from the factory with the adapter and the hose has a male CGA-580 on each end, exactly as mechanic416 pointed out.

Cheers,
    Alan
    mechanic416 pointed out that standard gas hoses have a 5/8"-18 threads on the fittings, which is true. He never said they have a CGA-580 on each end. That is not the thread size that a CGA-580 has. A CGA-580 is a much larger fitting and has much larger, 0.965"-14 threads.

And please don't hesitate to reply to this or other topics. No hard feelings or anything here. Just a discussion. No worries.
    Last edited by BigTB; 04-21-2018 at 03:28 PM.

I guess if you hold your breath long enough lugweld may come around and tell you about all the great support his company gives on his chicom welders..................and give you the info you need......

And please don't hesitate to reply to this or other topics. No hard feelings or anything here. Just a discussion. No worries.
    I was mostly talking about replying about my point gap, that is what spiraled me down the path of being fed up with the crappy service and support I got from Everlast. Some folks will tell you how good the service and support was they got from Everlast, but that wasn't my experience at all.

What I do know is I ordered a standard Smith hose from the link I showed above and received a hose with CGA-580 male connectors on each end. My Everlast has a barb connector that screws into the CGA-580 on the machine, I removed it and connected the Smith hose in the same fitting. My LWS sold me an adapter for the compressed air fitting, be it a CGA-320 or a CGA302 or a Type "B" as I have seen mentioned, but my LWS sold me the adapter which is exactly like I linked to online, except it was only $6.

After I received the Victor 2425 flowmeter I bought used on ebay, I saw that they had the adapter on the flowmeter. If you look at the Chinesium brass component Everlast ships (common with many Chinesium welders) it looks pretty nice. But if you compare a Victor side-by-side you can not only see but you can feel a huge difference in the operation of the adjustment knob. My Chinesium came from the factory with a bent threaded fitting, it works but it's cheaply made like my Everlast inverter.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it, cause it's the only one I know.

HT, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for lugweld...but maybe your lungs hold air longer than mine.

EDIT: BigTB I eat my words and looking on a site at this link: http://westernenterprises.com/enterp...a-nut-nipples/ It does say .960"-14 NGO for some of the CGA-580...I don't know...the ones I have I believe are .625" and I thought they were 5/8-18. They are DEFINITELY 18 tpi, I believe the thread measured .623", I will double check when I go out to the shop.

The hose I ordered has the 5/8-18 thread, AFAIK. I am going out to measure again, maybe my memory is incorrect. Be back in a few...

This is the hose: https://store.cyberweld.com/ingasho6sibl.html and it says 5/8-18, but maybe it's not a CGA-580 as I was told. If so, sorry, I stand corrected and honestly thought it was a CGA-580.

Still haven't made it to measure yet, but found this document that helps: http://www.superiorprod.com/pdf/Catalog18B.pdf

That seems to imply that 5/8-18 is Type "B", and states that is a CGA-302 on page 48.

It also shows the compressed air fitting a the CGA-320 (carbon dioxide) on page 49. No, wrong size...must be some type of NTP as they show as a CGA-180 on page 49? Does that make sense?

I think this means a Type "B" is the standard fitting used today. I'm not clear how that relates to CGA-580 now, to be honest. I think my mistake and what you may have been pointing out is that the top of the tank has a CGA-580 and that is the .960-14 NGO thread. I know that the Type "B" on each end is what I'm told is commonly used now in the industry. That is what I thought was the CGA-580. (never too proud to eat some humble pie)

This system is more f#@$'d up than Imperial vs. Metric, not to mention that different vendors use different connectors on the hoses. I believe that Lincoln uses a different gas connector on their machines...and it's good we have different gas connections on the front of the machine going to the torch also...

Cheers,
    Alan

PS - I had 3 teeth extracted yesterday...possible my mind is not on straight today. Unfortunately I can only use that excuse today...
    Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 04-21-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: f#@$, that's gotta be enough edits...

And BTW Mark, I think you should still think about replacing the connector on the rear of your welder to the newer Type "B" female, it does measure 5/8-18 right hand thread. Seems you can probably get a threaded connector to replace that barb?

OTOH, why do you want to replace it? Everlast suggested I use the hose they shipped with it, maybe the same for you as well...???

Speaking for myself, I don't care for those barb'd connectors at all...and that hose worries me if slag popped on it. I would hope it would hold up but don't trust it...seems like it would cut easy also...

And BTW Mark, I think you should still think about replacing the connector on the rear of your welder to the newer Type "B" female, it does measure 5/8-18 right hand thread. Seems you can probably get a threaded connector to replace that barb?

OTOH, why do you want to replace it? Everlast suggested I use the hose they shipped with it, maybe the same for you as well...???

Speaking for myself, I don't care for those barb'd connectors at all...and that hose worries me if slag popped on it. I would hope it would hold up but don't trust it...seems like it would cut easy also...
    I bought the unit used, it came as just the box itself from a local pawn shop. I don’t want to bother with replacing the barb with a standard fitting at the moment, just because 2 hose clamps and some tubing will do the job needed at the moment just as effectively as sourcing/buying all the pieces, crimping sleeves, connectors,opening the box up, and installation. Seems like a bunch of trouble and extra expense, for no real appreciable benefit.

Ordered a flow meter, and some 3/32” Thoriated Tungstens. When they get here I’ll go up to the store and get some heavy duty 1/4” tubing, connect it up, and hopefully be set to go. The flow meter has the standard threads, and includes an optional barbed fitting, makes life easy.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

I bought the unit used, it came as just the box itself from a local pawn shop.
    Well, you probably got a pretty good deal on it in that case.

I don’t want to bother with replacing the barb with a standard fitting at the moment, just because 2 hose clamps and some tubing will do the job needed at the moment just as effectively as sourcing/buying all the pieces, crimping sleeves, connectors,opening the box up, and installation. Seems like a bunch of trouble and extra expense, for no real appreciable benefit.
    Should work, and as long as you're happy with that setup you're good to go.

Did you get a torch?

Cheers,
    Alan

Well, you probably got a pretty good deal on it in that case.

Should work, and as long as you're happy with that setup you're good to go.

Did you get a torch?

Cheers,
    Alan
    Yup, got a 26, might get a smaller one too. We’ll see how this one does. It can do all available dc amps, and 160 on AC. So most of my AC capability too.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Yup, got a 26, might get a smaller one too. We’ll see how this one does. It can do all available dc amps, and 160 on AC. So most of my AC capability too.
    I've been using a 26 that came with my machine, but I replaced the head with this chinesium flex head. Makes it more usable for me. I use a stubby kit and a gas lens on it. Works ok for me until I can upgrade to a ck 17. All in time...

Cheers,
    Alan