125 flux core
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: 125 flux core

125 flux core

First post It has been a long time since I have done any welding and never did much. So just a newbie.

After doing lots of research I think that the HF 125 Flux Core with the modifications described on this site and various other websites and on you tube will suit my home hobbyist needs. I am going to buy a new one. They are on sale for $90 and after a 20% off coupon my price should be $72. Can't beat it.

My question concerns the capacitor. Is there a formula that determines how many mfd's the capacitor should have? I have seen a wide variation in what is recommended. In looking on fleabay I can across a listing for a Miller capacitor. 60 volt 16000 mfd's part number 163535. Don't know what model it was for. The mfd's on this Miller capacitor are a fraction of what is being recommended. I would think that Miller would spec the right size capacitor. And prices for capacitors increase rapidly as the mfd's increase. Don't want to buy a larger capacitor than I need but don't want to buy too small either.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Chuck

Re: 125 flux core

Long ago you could apply a coupon on welders. Not any more. I paid $72 for the 10-years-ago version of that one.

My advice on the capacitor is measure the space where it will go, first.

I don't think there is a precise formula for specifying capacity because you will use the welder at various output levels. (and anything above original output will stress the internals more). Rather, whatever is used on a similar welder should be about right.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

It seems to be calculated so it would end up about 40,000uf per 100A.
    If space is a problem two smaller capacitors can be paralleled to give the proper value.

In searching I found this http://www.skillbank.co.uk/psu/smoothing.htm which seems to be what I am looking for. However I can't get the numbers to work out anywhere close to what people have used. The diagram looks to be the same basic circuitry as in these HF welders. I must be using the wrong numbers.

Thanks for the suggestions

A formula that calculates it as percentages and a 37-63 ratio seems to most resemble what many of the welder designers use.TC= R*C.
    For instance 120A@20v=.166ohms of resistance
    At .1666ohms and a a time constant of .00833 seconds or 120hz you would need 49890mfd or about 50,000mfd per 120A.
    So it would end up about 40,000uf per 100A.
    That seems to be the way the manufacturers figure it.

Picked up a new 125 yesterday, $90, and ordered a 150amp bridge rectifier, $17.

Looking at capacitors and trying to decide between a 63v 50000uf, $34
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-SPRAGUE...19.m1438.l2649

or two 50v 27000uf, $37
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-UC....c100022.m2048

or three 63v 22000uf $10 from China.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimension-3...19.m1438.l2649, $10.

The single cap would be easiest to mount. I am leaning toward the single cap.

I am going to relocate the fan as this guy did, http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/modif...ady-own-one/64, and maybe move the transformer back 2 inches to create more room for the rectifier and the caps in front of the transformer.

I am also thinking about adding a choke. Trying to figure out how I could make one and where to mount it.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally got around to doing some practice welds with my 125 as it came from HF. After reading all the reports of bad welds and lots of splatter with a stock welder I was expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. No splatter to speak of. The welds look ok for someone who hasn't welded in decades. On minimum power I was able to lay some beads on some old rusty exhaust pipe without blowing through. On max power I did blow through the exhaust pipe but was fine on some 1/8" steel All in all I think that this welder will do just fine for me. I'll do some more practice beads before I add in the rectifier and the capacitor.

It was the old blue versions of your welder that were troublesome. This forum used to be filled with posts 'How can I get this thing to do what I expect??!!'.

With the black 90 and now 125, those inquiries ended but the reputation hasn't quite recovered yet.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

I finally got around to finishing the mod's to my welder. I installed a bridge rectifier, a capacitor and a resister to bleed off the capacitor. The installation came out ok and was fairly easy. Getting everything in was a tight fit.

Name:  IMG_3613.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  128.7 KB

Can't tell much difference. It does seem to have more power than before. I have some welding projects on my MG Midget that need to get done and will have a better idea once those are finished.

The easy fix to spatter on the HF welder... don't use HF wire. I tried HF wire and Hobart wire... I swear they are made in the same place. Now once I switched to Lincoln wire... what a difference! Very little spatter and the welds were way better and cleaner.

I also noticed the HF and Hobart wire would bend, where as the Lincoln wire would break when you bend it. So there is definitely a difference and the Lincoln wire is much better. BTW.. we are talking flux core.