Power hammer build
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Power hammer build

Hey guys I'm looking to build a power hammer.

I have looked over YouTube and found the design that i like and here is what Im going to base it of of

questions i have for guidance with this project are.

what size steel tubing do i need for this. - biggest concern, wall thickness and size - note i am 6'5" for reference so i want it a a comfortable height

welding process - i would like to use my mig but i have no gas or wire but i have a stick welder that I'm getting used to so what rod would you recommend for this.

Re: Power hammer build

get some gas and wire if that's what you want to use. For something like this, I wouldn't use a welder I'm not completely comfortable with. There is a lot of weight moving around and vibration/impact so use what you're best at. Assuming your Mig has enough power to handle .25" or thicker material.

As for tubing size. you could always post a comment on the Youtube page asking the OP the size of stock used. After skipping through the video, it looks like he's using 2"x4" rec for most of the main frame. I did notice a lot of wiggle and shaking when he finally fired it up. I think that a lot of that has to do with how he aligned his lift rod and how he made his guide for the hammer. either that or the base just isn't flat.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    After skipping through the video
    Holy shizz he's a lot tougher hombre than me. I remember welding in shorts and a t shirt with no gloves or safety glasses.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

He has got a great deal of Ausie get it done in the design. I would suggest you make the anvil more than just tube steel.

You are looking for a significant ratio of the weight of the hammer and the weight of the anvil. Think 10 to 1 or better 15 to 1. If your "hammer" weighs 35 pounds - make the anvil 350 or more, 500 would be better. I am not talking about the entire machine, but just the portion which actually falls as the hammer...or ram.

The actual design is similar to the "rusty" hammer you will find if you look here, https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/547...r-build-along/ - as an example. There are loads of examples online.

Also...don't weld on the rim with a tire on it. I had to say that before someone does.

nice design, nice build with scrap material. i could be wrong but it doesn't look very powerful.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

not sure what kind of power you're looking for Doc, any forging can be done by hand. More power only makes it go quicker. for power hammers, the "power" is determined by the Hammer and anvil weight. in the case of his, it's probably not heavy, but it's still better than hammering by hand for hours.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210

To answer your question @ThorsHammer I need one for forging heavy roundstock that I can't tackle with an 8lb sledgehammer. So I came up with this now frame is made from 2x4x 1/4 inch rectangular tubing correct me if I'm wrong and I have a hf mig and it doesn't go for .25 in material so I have to use the arc welder it turned off while I was cutting a peice of steel my grandpa said that you could do it so I tried it but any one got an idea on how much tubing I will need and I have to buy in 10 ft sections otherwise ups won't ship it. So I have to learn to weld tube. Doubble y what ratio is the 10:1 the hammer to anvil or anvil to hammer.

I seen an issue here with the order of operations, a powerhammer is one of those tools you buy/build when you graduate to it. So take the time to build some crap to get an idea of material strengths and spend the money and get your mig welder running. Otherwise I see it as putting the horse in front of the cart. It's like buying a vantage 500 and not owning a grinder...

I don't see an exact copy of this machine working well to replace a striker with a 10 lbs sledge with the exception of endurance. That being said, I can see it being built big enough to do so. The 10 - 1 is Anvil to Hammer. This isn't the best design for heavy work. as pointed out it's a relatively light weight rig all things considered.

get comfortable with the stick welder if your mig can't handle the thickness of metal. Then start on this project.

as for lengths, that's going to be dependent on what you feel comfortable with for your height. You could make a mock up out of 2x4 lumber to get exact measurements to go off of.

One thing I do recommend, is for the guild. Get receiver stock for the guide and use a 2"x"2 SOLID bar for the hammer. and try to find either some train axle, or some other large solid section of metal for the base of your anvil. and figure out a way to attach different heads to both the hammer and the anvil. the solid stock will probably be the most expensive parts of this build BUT, if you can manage to get your hands on them, you'll be able to replace the 10 lbs sledge no problem.

I saw another video of a guy building a very similar power hammer and he missed the point of using a spring as the top instead of a solid section of metal. he was hoping that the spring would create "more of a thwack" than a solid rod. and while that may be the case, the spring is used to account for the thickness of the stock you're using so when the hammer can't get to the anvil it doesn't bend a solid bar, but flexes the spring instead.

Hobart Handler 210

Build a pneumatic, you will be much happier. Head over to iforgeiron.com if you haven't already.

Ok so I can do this process called forge welding to make the solid stock labor intensive but if I can get my brother over to help me with it I should be able to make the solid section. And for the hammer do you mean the ram? Walker I would love to build a pneumatic power hammer but I don't have a big enough air compressor.

Hey guys it's gonna take me a while to get the funds to build this cause the clutch in my truck went out and I have to fix that this weekend so there goes my $75 paycheck for the week. I hope to find a job in the near future. So I'll check back and how long does the 2x2 solid bar need to be length wise for drawing it out.

the part I refer to as the hammer is the part that could be called a ram, but acts as the hammer against the Anvil. and it's length would be determined by the dimension of your machine.

Based on your comments, I'm guessing you're pretty young, and have very little experience designing and building complicated machines. and while yes, the overall design of this machine is relatively simply. All things considered you're still working with linear, rotary, and angular motion and getting them all to work in conjunction with each other. as well as spring deflection, vibration, and impact. Not to mention the consequences a large amount of moving weight can have if it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Have you reached out to your local black smithing community? I'm sure there is someone close by in SC that would be able to assist you hands on in helping design a power hammer that both works for your needs and your budget. Though having a larger budget is always helpful.

I would not want to try to forge weld stock to make the 2" solid section of the hammer. for starters, it needs to have completely straight flat sides to slide through the guide. so unless you've got the tools to get it that way, forge welding really isn't the best option. It's more of a last resort.

Hobart Handler 210

I'm 17 and looking for a job to buy gas. Looking to go to tech to get welding certificate.and dude no disrespect or anything but I live in like the middle of nowhere the nearest blacksmith shop would be in gorgia or North Carolina and my truck wouldn't make it on the interstate to low speeded and another list of problems I have just now got to where I can go to places. I'm looking to open a blacksmit/machine shop soon but I have to get my priorities straight first I'm still in school which is about 1 or 2 weeks away from being over and your right when it comes to complex machines I have no idea how they really work I get the general idea of it but not the whole thing. This power hammer will give me the ability to buy stock for cheaper prices than other methods. So yeah I do need help and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm trying to make things that I don't have the money to buy them so I'm building a power hammer and a couple of belt grinders. I'm also getting into this scratch start tig on my Lincoln ac 225 but i need one of those bridge rectifiers to convert it to dc just to save a couple hundred dollars. I buy from harbor freight because I couldn't afford regular tools and I paid 300 for my mig and got this stick for free. So with that in mind rember how I said that I live in the middle of nowhere look up 29676 that's where I live my town is dead and I have no way of getting any where right now because I have to fix my truck this weekend. So enough rambling on I have to find the money to start this project.

I think the best use for it so far is the little musical bit at the end LOL...
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I like this guys design, was planning on building something like this one day.

Quote Originally Posted by ryancrowe92 View Post
    I'm 17 and looking for a job to buy gas. Looking to go to tech to get welding certificate.and dude no disrespect or anything but I live in like the middle of nowhere the nearest blacksmith shop would be in gorgia or North Carolina and my truck wouldn't make it on the interstate to low speeded and another list of problems I have just now got to where I can go to places. I'm looking to open a blacksmit/machine shop soon but I have to get my priorities straight first I'm still in school which is about 1 or 2 weeks away from being over and your right when it comes to complex machines I have no idea how they really work I get the general idea of it but not the whole thing. This power hammer will give me the ability to buy stock for cheaper prices than other methods. So yeah I do need help and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm trying to make things that I don't have the money to buy them so I'm building a power hammer and a couple of belt grinders. I'm also getting into this scratch start tig on my Lincoln ac 225 but i need one of those bridge rectifiers to convert it to dc just to save a couple hundred dollars. I buy from harbor freight because I couldn't afford regular tools and I paid 300 for my mig and got this stick for free. So with that in mind rember how I said that I live in the middle of nowhere look up 29676 that's where I live my town is dead and I have no way of getting any where right now because I have to fix my truck this weekend. So enough rambling on I have to find the money to start this project.
    while I applaud your initiative and ambition, we're just trying to give you a little reality. The east coast is FULL of smiths who do it for fun out of their house, or do it for business either with a brick and mortar shop or out of their homes using the internet. If you go to IforgeIron.com they have a list of black Smithing associations by state/region. You might be surprised how close someone may be after a little research and asking questions in the right place. some might even be willing to come to you. to see what you've got, what you need, and how to best go about getting it.

I don't know what your definition of "soon" is, but you won't be opening a smithing/machine shop any time in the near future without a substantial budget to do so and a big part of that budget is tools and equipment.

you don't need a blacksmith shop to get equipment from. you can get solid stock from most any metal supply.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...hrome&ie=UTF-8 - Black smithing school search on Google.

Google also found metal supply in Easley, SC which is approximately an hour drive.

Hobart Handler 210

I know steel is pricey wished I could make my own. But yeah not having a job and living off of 75 dollars a week is just hard. But I'm coming to see reality. And going off topic here but I've been watching welding tips and tricks and I seen this scratch start tig and I have a Lincoln ac 225 and I have seen that people have been using these bridge rectifiers to convert it to dc will it work for scratch start tig. And I know I don't have to have a black Smith shop to get material it's just the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere and I just have got my driver's license so I can go anywhere. It's just finding a steel supplier. but I plan on building a power hammer so I can forge heavy roundstock for hammer heads but thanks for your help

PS my truck get really bad gas mileage

I would not do a helve design

Look at the clay Spencer Tire Hammer

For blacksmithing, that hammer design is pretty awful. Very wimpy, overall, and the use of rail track for the hammer and anvil is just sad. A tube for the sow block? Ugh!

It's almost like he came up with a design to see how he could maximize the inefficiency.

You can make the entire support system out of wood if you go with large timbers. Just be sure to use good oak or other dense woods rather than pine, and reinforce all the joints with good steel brackets, gussets, corbels, etc. They actually look very attractive and you can't overbuild them.

In this vid, you can see that the whole thing wobbles a good bit. This is because the builder didn't put in enough bracing. The bolts going through the wood should be reinforced with large plate washers rather than relying on silly store-bought stuff that's just a tad larger than the head of the bolt. There should be corner brackets on all four sides of the main post to counter any rocking -- and they should be tall enough that they actually function as a brace rather than simply looking the part.

While the wood is a good size, the lack of steel plate used to bridge joints makes the whole thing a bit too whippy in use. Glue and bolts will get the job done, as you see here, but not well. As the wood degrades and the glue pulls loose, the hammer performance drops precipitously.

The anvil/sowblock needs to be solid. At the very least, it needs to be made from laminated plates. Tubes and railroad tracks might work for doing stuff with sheet metal, but you're wasting time if you want an effective blacksmithing tool.

The spring pack? I'm not a believer in the whippy style that only uses three leaves. The old hammers would have dozens of leaves, each maybe 1/8" thick, and I get the idea that those folks knew what they were doing when it came to engineering a hammer that would see a century of use in working shops.

Opening a shop after graduation? No, you're not. As you said, you don't have any welding experience of note, and welding is a huge skill to have. The training you received in high school shop class is good, but it's a far cry from professional training and certification in any field. No companies are going to hire you to do their machine work if you've only got a few years of HS vocational training under your belt. And then there's insurance, shop size, tooling costs..... For someone trying to get by on $75/wk, opening a shop isn't realistic.

Living in Oconee, SC, there are plenty of smiths around you. If you can't afford to travel a few minutes to find smiths in Anderson, Pickens and Greenville, etc, you certainly can't afford to open a shop all your own.

Get a real job. Go to trade school to get certified in welding and/or machining, use the time to build up your tool collection. Visit with local blacksmiths. Learn the skills and build up enough projects to create a good starter portfolio.

Slow and steady wins the race.

I think Vaughnt nailed it in the last paragraph.

Get a job. Aquire skills and a steady income. Then a reliable vehicle. Then maybe start buying equipment and dipping your toes into having a shop.

Word of the day is priorities. You ain't getting **** done without getting them in order. Also, saving up and buying/ building quality equipment up front will pay dividends for years to come. Starting with crap means you're going to be stuck with crap for a long time. That's a hard hole to dig out of.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Starting with crap means you're going to be stuck with crap for a long time. That's a hard hole to dig out of.
    Oh, did it take me years to figure that out!! How many times have I justified my own stupidity by thinking I was saving money in the short-term and would upgrade things when the money was there?!?! Next thing you know, I'm spending even more money trying to find workarounds or repairing the crap that was supposed to be saving me money.

It doesn't take a huge compressor to run them.