1976 lincoln sae 300 sparks but will not arc will run grinder scratching my head
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

1976 lincoln sae 300 sparks but will not arc will run grinder scratching my head

I started welding with this machine about 2 months back and it was dark out i had all four doors open and wife said it was sparking all over
    when I was inspecting for the cause I found wires dry rot flaking apart and bare so I rewired the generator one wire at a time ensuring I got them back where they came from! then after doing so I decided to repaint the machine repair the frame and now its all back together! I tried to weld with it today all I get from the leads is minor sparks. I've cleaned the armature and brushes checked for good clean connections on all my leads and spools. I did change location of my negative battery cable from the barrel mount leg to the frame because the bolt it mounted too broke off and i just cleaned it off and figure it would look better on the inside of the frame closer to the battery! Could it be possible that is why its not getting an arc to weld?

Re: 1976 lincoln sae 300 sparks but will not arc will run grinder scratching my head

Nothing to do with the battery ground cable location.

IF you have the wiring correct, it could just require flashing the exciter.

The following is out of the SA200 Service Manual but would be applicable to the SAE300:
    Exciter Flashing Procedure.pdf
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Re: 1976 lincoln sae 300 sparks but will not arc will run grinder scratching my head

I will try that tomorrow night after work and will let you know the results.

MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

As far as the battery ground cable goes from an electrical standpoint it
    should be bolted directly to the engine block or bellhousing as close to the
    starter motor as possible. The starter is by far the highest current load so
    distance and number of connections between the battery and the starter
    should be reduced to the minimum possible.

Good evening everyone just finished up with the flashing of the Exciter and no luck with getting it to arc and weld! I used the wiring diagram to trace the wires all is where they are suppose to be! I'm not sure if there was suppose to be any sparks while flashing the Exciter! There wasn't any sparks so I'm back where I started.

Tonight I was either going to fix this welder or I was going to get myself thrown in the dog house by the wife for throwing money into replacing coils and parts! Well I'm not in the dog house for buying coils or parts.... The welder is back up and welding I feel like an idiot for what I found! I began tonight with the ideal this welder was welding before I replaced any of the wires on this 42 year old welder so I went back over every wire I changed and checked every connection I made to the coils and switches when I found the issue at the left shunt coil where the blue wire goes too! I thought it was a good connection till I done the 2lb pull test and it came apart using a new connector and checking each crimp I started the welder and checked for arc and its up and running again ready to go back to work!!!

Great !!! I know feels good!!!

Good job on the troubleshooting. FYI, that's why I always do a mechanical crimp then solder followed by heat shrink on these connections.

Name:  100_1624.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  99.3 KBName:  100_1625.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  93.5 KBName:  100_1628.jpg
Size:  82.3 KBName:  100_1629.jpg
Size:  92.9 KB

The mechanical butt splice crimp just makes things a little easier. Often I'll just do an inline twist joint then solder and heat shrink.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!