What do you consider to be the most important features of a welding helmet?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question What do you consider to be the most important features of a welding helmet?

What two features of a welding helmet do you consider to be most important?
    (i.e. weight, shade, respiratory protection, viewing area of the lens, clarity, head harness, grind mode)

Re: What do you consider to be the most important features of a welding helmet?

Whatever hood gives you the best view of the puddle. I find I like amber lens for MIG, blue for TIG.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Agree with clarity for sure, what would you consider to be the next most important?

View and reliability.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Longevity and availability of parts. Especially lenses covers Had too many go obsolete because lense covers not available.

It’s hard to pick just two. I Like: Large viewing Area, clarity, and comfortable headgear. A hood can be heavy if it has good headgear that distributes it evenly.

I’ve really been impressed with Harbor Freights new Vulcan Auto Darkening Hood, 1/1/1/1 clarity, good range of adjustability, headgear has a nice thick pad for the back of your head that’s really comfortable, replacement covers are available right in store. The headgear has a ratcheting type tension adjustment that keeps it up when you put it up. I really hated my old hood that would creep loose and flip down when I didn’t want it to. Priced at $150 I love it, you can get it cheaper with coupons of course.

It’s not perfect, like any hood though. I wish grind mode was on the outside. Hoods are like welders though, get the best one for your application. In a custom fab shop that does fine detail low amp tig work? Get a high clarity AD hood. Out in the field welding miles away from civilization? Go for a fixed shade pipeliner that’s hard to break. Using a Smokey welding process in an area of little air mov meant? Go for in hood ventilation. Are you in a production setting where you need to do a lot of grinding between welds? Go for the integrated face shield.

It’s been dropped several times, no noticeable damage at all. Yeah harbor freight has some junk, but the ArcSafe hood from Vulcan is hard not to recommend. There are better hoods out there I’m sure, but this one is a great value.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 05-14-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

The obvious is clarity, that shouldn't even be mentioned because it's a necessity,

In my opinion the next important things are comfort, (weight plays a big factor in this, a heavy helmet will give you neck problems)

And after that I'd say external controls that you can use with gloves on, and an external grind mode is very convenient.

I'd say a large viewing area is not as important as comfort,.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Longevity and availability of parts. Especially lenses covers Had too many go obsolete because lense covers not available.
    Cut them out of lexan sheet. I make a new one about once a year.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Cut them out of lexan sheet. I make a new one about once a year.
    Cool idea, Thanks. I keep it simple now. Standard small lense. I can always locate them locally and am willing to pay for 25 or more at a time.

My neck is trash so more and more these featherweights are appealing. That said, I ALWAYS start the day with a pipeliner.
    Yesterday I wound it up with a Save Phace GenX mask.Stupid looking thing but a great clarity and lightness. I need some 6 color surf shorts to go with it.

Replacement parts

As long as it's clear enough to see and lightweight enough not to be a hindrance then the third most important thing would be looks... it better look cool so I don't look like a dork!!!

Reliability first and clarity very close second--if it doesn't switch on when needed then it just failed its purpose right then and there. Then if I can't see the puddle then obviously the work quality suffers and that just won't do either, but I can redo metal a lot faster and cheaper than fixing eye damage.

For me weight is not an issue because I don't weld for living, so I can live with a heavy helmet. Actually the more I weld, the more I like a fixed shade because my AD is so crappy that the fixed shade is much clearer! I certainly need to upgrade.

Good headgear is a big plus.