New member from South Florida
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New member from South Florida

Hello everyone,
    I have never welded.
    I have had a Forney F-105 for 20 years sitting in my shop, quietly minding it's own business.
    The guy who the gave it to me used to fabricate and race cars, got ill and had to retire.
    My bay was next to his so he gave me my pick of his equipment one day and one of the items was the Forney.
    The cables were junk and falling apart. The power cord was junk and falling apart. The clamp wouldn't clamp anymore. You get the idea.
    The whole mess was ready for the junkman. I know him well. He stops by from time to time cuz he knows I'm a producer!
    Several times I thought of doing just that but, the red case was in such good condition and it was like a legacy...or something.
    So scratching an itch the other day, I disassembled the case, threw away the power cord, hosed the switch out with OD electrical cleaner, put in a 30amp breaker and outlet, ran a scrap piece of 12/3 (do not try this at home kids) to the 208 terminal and stepped back . . . .actually way back.
    Surprise, no blue flame, no sparks, a very pleasing hummmm. Actually, I did ohm it out first, I don't really have a death wish like my wife says.
    So I've got new plugs, clamps and cable coming and I'm going to put the old girl back to work, teaching me to weld.
    Anyone know anything about the F-105 or when they were built? No date codes or stickers on it. There's only one picture on the internet.
    http://www.veloster.org/forum/16-off...old-tools.html
    Maybe they were not popular cuz they were not powerful enough.Who knows. Lots of C-5s and C-6s. I am fascinated by Forney history or just history in general.
    Downloaded a copy of the manual from Forney. Pretty general.
    Name:  Forney F-105 cover front.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  85.2 KB
    Here's a pic of the insides, farm fresh after who knows where, who knows how many years before I got it.
    Name:  Forney F-105  before left2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  118.1 KB
    Looking forward to learning from all the pros here.

Mike

Re: New member from South Florida

Looks good needs cleaning
    There not must to transformer type welder

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Re: New member from South Florida

Welcome, Best of luck with your restoration and learning to weld, you may get better info if you post in the welding forums. I don't know which would be best, but would probably start in the general forum.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 05-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN