decommissioning a fuel tank that is under water
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

decommissioning a fuel tank that is under water

Ok here is the issue, A friend of mine has a marina and his fuel tanks are underwater.

He stopped selling fuel a couple years ago and he now wants to decommission the tanks.

He has sucked the fuel out and would like to leave the tanks in the water, here in Canada there does not seem to be regulation on whether this can be done or not.

He has been told he must fill tank with foam, sand or possibly water. they are leaning towards the sand and have asked me to cut a hole in tanks so they can fill with sand and then weld a patch over after the sand is in.

I am not comfortable with this as would be expected and not even sure there is a procedure for doing this that meets regulations let alone the liability if there was a problem.

I have welded on diesel tanks that have either been filled with inert gas or steamed for 12 hours prior to work being done but gas is a whole other issue.

I would appreciate any input as to how to proceed.

The problem with removing the tanks is he would have to tear out marina docks and and also they are embedded in concrete. In other words it would be very cost prohibitive.

thank you for your input

Grundy

Re: decommissioning a fuel tank that is under water

Can they just pump sand slurry in through the tank bungs?

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Can they just pump sand slurry in through the tank bungs?
    Was thinking the same. ^^^^
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'd just fill them with water. Easy and not much different then being filled with anything else. Then easier to get them out later if they want.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I agree, common sense would dictate if they can be filled with water for decommissioning , why not? No cutting or welding needed, getting water in there will be cheap.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Here in Va we had to fill tanks with concrete. 30,000 gallon tanks x3 ,wet it up and start pouring .years from now if any tries to dig there they will be in for a suprise

Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    Ok here is the issue, A friend of mine has a marina and his fuel tanks are underwater.

He stopped selling fuel a couple years ago and he now wants to decommission the tanks.

He has sucked the fuel out and would like to leave the tanks in the water, here in Canada there does not seem to be regulation on whether this can be done or not.

He has been told he must fill tank with foam, sand or possibly water. they are leaning towards the sand and have asked me to cut a hole in tanks so they can fill with sand and then weld a patch over after the sand is in.

I am not comfortable with this as would be expected and not even sure there is a procedure for doing this that meets regulations let alone the liability if there was a problem.

I have welded on diesel tanks that have either been filled with inert gas or steamed for 12 hours prior to work being done but gas is a whole other issue.

I would appreciate any input as to how to proceed.

The problem with removing the tanks is he would have to tear out marina docks and and also they are embedded in concrete. In other words it would be very cost prohibitive.

thank you for your input

Grundy
    thanks for the input, I thought about water but I think the issue is decomposition (rust) so that would also rule out the sand slurry.

probably the spray foam is the best but the fact we are in a rural area of Canada make it cost prohibitive from what I can see as we would need a pumper truck.

The best is a scenario is that we do not cut into tanks and can seal tanks without welding.

Rust inhibitors can be added to water, if that's your issue with it.

Pump cement in them
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Why is rust a concern? Water is the simple fill. Sand would take forever, but seems another option. Once filled with water for a period, volatile petroleum is displaced.

OR........ toss in a match, the tank won't be underwater any longer.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Call the Mountie. Ask what he/she/it wants.
    Discuss how it should be done.
    Follow the Mountie's recommendation

OR

Do it your way
    Pay all fines and surcharges
    Dig it all out following government directions
    File Bankruptcy.

Have one of the neighbor kids decommission them with a couple of pounds of tannerite.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

magdrill a big enough hole to do what ya need

A good friend was in trouble. Age and health conspired against him. He had a million inventions in his mind. He was in his eighties still acquiring materials for future inventions. His machine shop was a former ice cream factory. It had been surrounded by homes. The town lawyered up, and cited obscure ordinances prohibiting him from having stuff. He was in the hospital, we didn't think he would recover. His wife asked me to dispose of things the town had itemized. A 10,000 gallon formerly buried diesel tank topped the list.

The town didn't care how it happened, they wanted it gone.

I cut a 4' hole with acetylene torch. There was about a foot of oil in the end of the tilted tank. Sparks don't ignite diesel. I held the cutting torch aimed at the surface of the liquid diesel. It would not burn. It might have been water. Then I splashed a bit up on the wall of the tank. Lighting this with the torch it flamed instantly! in seconds, flame shot 6 feet horizontally, turned vertical, and blasted into the air at least thirty feet. A plume of black smoke lofted skyward!

I was terrified! I feared firemen, but expected police. As it was, a few spectators did come, but no police, or firemen. It burned out in half hour.

Take my advice, avoid fire to purge these tanks.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Willie B

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Take my advice, avoid fire to purge these tanks.
    Evidently [when young] you didn't play enough with matches . . .

Opus

Being trained by life experiences to be distrustful of governing entities and environuts, especially when it comes to things like fuel and bodies of water,,,,, I wouldn't touch this thing. Wouldn't even offer advice let alone leave finger prints.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Being trained by life experiences to be distrustful of governing entities and environuts, especially when it comes to things like fuel and bodies of water,,,,, I wouldn't touch this thing. Wouldn't even offer advice let alone leave finger prints.
    Now that there is advice you can take to the bank and it will pay dividends

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

Willie B

Evidently [when young] you didn't play enough with matches . . .

Opus
    To the contrary. I seldom had eyebrows, hair on my arms. I probably was under supervised, but the angriest my father ever got was the day my grandfather surrogate neighbor and I found a bucket full of black powder. We both got grounded for ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    To the contrary. I seldom had eyebrows, hair on my arms. I probably was under supervised, but the angriest my father ever got was the day my grandfather surrogate neighbor and I found a bucket full of black powder. We both got grounded for ever!
    Don't leave us hanging, give us more details about the black powder experience, lol

I had an uncle that gave me about 8 or 10 ounces of calcium carbide to "play" with, let me tell ya that 4 or 5 of those little rocks in a sealed paint can with some water & a hole in the bottom of the can makes a pretty impressive little bang, I think a guy could get seriously hurt if he wasn't careful. LOL I was a dumb kid & wasn't fully aware of what I was playing with. My granddad used a carbide generator in his blacksmith shop for many years. Carbide generators are the reason for dissolved acetone bottles for acetylene gas.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

When I was a kid there was strike anywhere matches in every garage, gas cans, and guns and I was left unsupervised every day!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829