New to me old gray LN25 setup questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New to me old gray LN25 setup questions

Hello Colleagues,

I just picked up an old gray LN 25 (Code 9220) with gas solenoid. I'm unsure if it has the contactor as I don't know what to look for but it does have the same decal on the back referring to damaging an installed contactor as in post #65 here http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...highlight=ln25

And it has the same spool adapter as that machine does.

My LN 25 came with two flowmeters, a gas hose and a new condition Tweco Weldskill 400 amp 15' gun. The gun and feed rolls are set up for .045 wire but until I get a better look at the rolls or hear back from the seller I'm unsure whether it has a solid or cored feed roll kit. Or how much that matters for larger wire?

Other than smaller jobs that I can do on the table I'll be welding outdoors as I haven't yet got a shop built at our new retirement home and our attached garage has an epoxy coated floor. I'm a hobbiest welder. Most of my experience has been stick welding and my only wire welding has been limited to a 120 volt suitcase MIG unit for welding sheet metal and some dual shield in 4-5 adult education classes.

I'll be running the LN 25 off of a 2012 Bobcat 225 CC/CV AC/DC machine. Most of my stick welding is with a Dialarc 250P AC/DC unit.

Once upon a time I built a few small wood burning smokers before switching to building large stainless steel electric and gas/electric ones for food service operations. When we sold our farm and downsized last year I kept four 120 gallon propane tanks to start building trailer mounted wood burning smokers and that is the kind of thing I most expect to use the LN 25 for. I'll be re-purposing trailers for the smokers so it'll be the smokers themselves that I'll be setting up to weld-mostly 5/16 and thinner steel but with the occasional thicker stuff (probably very occasional...).

If it's too breezy to run straight MIG or dual shield I can tack stuff up with stick and weld it out when the breeze dies down and I do have a welding screen I can use to help break the wind at times. If at all possible I'd like to avoid the cleanup with straight flux core.

So...what might be the most breeze that straight MIG with solid wire can handle? Or dual core? And what size wires for each might be appropriate? And I'm thinking that I'll want a lighter gun too so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Lance

Re: New to me old gray LN25 setup questions

Anybody??

Just saw this sorry. CEP on here is a whizz kid on these. Send him a pm.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Maybe this picture will help. Remove the cover under the spool of wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Thanks, that helps a lot. Have any of you used Lincolns' SuperArc L056 .045 or .035 solid wire in an LN 25? I'm thinking of running that with C25 for hot rolled steel.

Lance
    Last edited by LanceR; 05-22-2018 at 09:02 PM.

I’ve run a lot of Lincoln’s SuperArc L-56 Mig wire in my LN-25s.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Thanks. I figured there would be no issues with solid wire but if I understand things correctly some flux core is stiffer than others. What are your thoughts for good wires for self-shielded and dual shield flux core give the 15' WeldSkill gun? And any thoughts on a lighter and maybe more flexible gun for smaller wire?

And that Vantage 400 looks pretty beat. How about you start shopping for a new one and I'll give you enough for the beater to cover your sales tax?

Lance

Lance remember now I’m just a hobby welder!
    For self shielded flux core, I like Lincoln’s K-126 guns, 15-feet long.
    For T-11 wire I really like Hobart’s 21-B, or Lincoln’s NR-212 wire.
    For Mig welding I use Tweco guns.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Thanks, Carl. I hope I didn't wake you up.

Lance

No, I get up at 3:30 every morning. I guess having to be in Seattle at 6:00 A.M. every day. I can’t break the habit!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I haven't been in the Puget Sound area since I was transferred from Fort Lewis to West Berlin in 1978. A local acquaintance who was stationed there a few years later and I both feel that if the area was closer to family we'd had settled there on retirement. I really liked Washington, Oregon and Idaho. I suspect that like many areas that a lot of what my now fuzzy memory sees as open horse trail and hunting areas are now strip malls and developments.....

Lance

When they shut down Hunter’s Point Navy ship yard in south San Francisco in the early 1970s. All the Californians moved here to Kitsap County. I moved here in 1977. The traffic in Seattle is horrible! I got sent to the Port of Oakland in 1999, the traffic in the east bay is a lot better than Seattle. Biggest problem here is, none of these people know how to drive!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Seattle is like a lot of cities. If it weren't for all the durn people they'd be pretty nice places....

I had several empty tanks and they are all older ones that sat outside for quite a while during the move so I dropped off a 40CF, an 80CF and a 280CF to get hydro tested, sandblasted, painted and filled. Now to whistle up some 10-12 pound rolls of a few kinds of wire to see what the old girl likes best before buying 44 pounders.

Hey, I notice you didn't take me up on my generous offer for that beater Vantage 400. How about I sweeten the deal with a case of Oly?

Lance

That is a very generous offer, but I’m not tough enough to drink.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I thought you'r get a smile out of that. I appreciate your input. Do you have any thoughts on running smaller (.023 or .030) solid wire for thinner stuff with the LN 25? What might be the lower end of sheet steel I could reasonably tackle? Or aluminum? Most of what I've read on LN 25s has been on fairly thick stuff.

Lance

There was a time in my life, where I thought 3/8” thick metal, was sheet metal. The smallest wire we ran on the job was .068”. Majority of the time we ran 5/64” wire, and some times 3/32” wire. The drive system on the LN-25s is very powerful. But to push .023” wire, you might want a 10-feet long gun. .030” wire should not be a problem. I wouldn’t attempt to weld aluminum with a LN-25. Spool gun is the way to go, or Tig weld it.
    You’ll want serrated drive rolls for flux core, and V-groove drive rolls for Mig welding.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Well, last weekend I finally got some quiet time to look around in the LN 25 and it does indeed have the contactor.

I own several gas cylinders including some 280 and 300 CF ones that all needed recertification and which sat outside for two years or so. I found a local supplier who could hydro-test, sandblast and paint them in-house for a very reasonable cost so I dropped them off last week.

I have some .052-.045" cored drive rolls and a roll of .045 L-56 inbound. On my next trip to the LWS I'll grab some self shielded and dual shielded flux core .045 to test out. As soon as the tanks are back I'll start tinkering with the L-56 and flux cored wire on some scrap and try both straight CO2 and 75/25 Ar/CO2. It's a brave new world for me so I figure I'll need to make a lot of notes to keep my (alleged) thoughts straight.....

My Bobcat welds 19-28 volts in CV mode. I'm looking at both the online and slide rule style Miller welding calculators and if I understand correctly the 19 volt lower limit means that when running solid wire and CO2 that 18 ga. is the thinnest steel I see values for (.030 through .045 wire) and using 75/25 Ar/CO2 1/8" the thinnest I see at 19 volts is 1/8" (.035 and .045 wire). For flux cored wire neither table shows no steel thinner than 3/32" using .045 cored wire only.

Given the 19 volt lowest CV value does this seem like the thinnest steel I can expect to weld on or should I be looking for another table for possible starting parameters using thinner wire for thinner steel?

Thanks for all the advice.

Lance

19V will be right at the top of usable for .045 innershield. NR-212-MP .045 gets funky for me at 19.5/175 and NR-211 .045 starts acting up at about 18.5V. This is on an XMT with a LN25. Running .068 solves the problems, but that stuff runs hot! Not for sheet metal.

Thin metal with hard wire will just be a matter of getting the joints right. You an about weld beer can running downhill as fast as you can.

You will have a voltage drop. 19v will likely be 16-17v at your feeder, depending on wire size/length. Get some E71t-11 and forget about gas. I use a lot of it.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Thanks

I got my cylinders back from hydro testing, painting and filling and hope to spend some time this weekend tinkering with settings and techniques.

Does anyone know of a table or other source for starting CFH settings for various dual shield and solid wire diameters for carbon steel and short circuit transfer? I expect to eventually be using .045 and .035 for both solid and cored wires but will start with solid .045 ER70S-6 through a 400 Amp Tweco gun that currently has a 5/8" nozzle with straight CO2 and 75Ar/25CO2 through ball type flowmeters.

And any help pointing me to any resource that explains what to look for in changing or troubleshooting CFH settings would be appreciated as would any thoughts on whether a different diameter nozzle would be appropriate.

Thanks for all the help.

Lance

Well, I was in the right place at the right time and just bought two like new K449 LN-25s. They are 650 miles from me but just a few miles from one of our sons who will pick them up and ship them to me. Wish me luck please. I bought these based on an inspection by a non-welding friend.....

If they test out OK I'll soon have two N-25s for sale to help fund my emerging welding habit.

Lance

Name:  86617_7427339.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  86617_8444028.jpg
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  86618_2308067.jpg
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  86618_7614156.jpg