958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them?

Hey guys, its been quite awhile since I have been on here or have welded in general. (I was the genius welding in the horse barn)

Anyway, I have been thinking of getting back into welding again but professionally and go to school for it. I enjoy welding as a hobby quite a bit, but, am not sure if its something I want to be doing for the next 45 years. Eventually I would want to be doing precision tig work, both for the better pay and more enjoyable work environment. But until then I'm guessing a lot of grunt work.

A little background on me.
    I am 23 years old. I have a community college nearby (IVY Tech) that has all the usual welding courses. I have taken intro to welding and stick 1. I am fairly good at 7018 and 7014. Not great at 6010 though. I can run a mig gun well enough to lay beads but dont have the experience setting up and troubleshooting. I have ran like a foot of tig and really want to get into it, and the more high end precise stuff.

Reasons I am unsure if its for me
    I am very bad at heights so no iron working for me, I am not claustrophobic though.
    I am not physically fit.
    I honestly prefer to be indoors.

So, is it crazy for me to want to get into welding all things considered?

And the other reasons I'm posting is, is anyone willing to let me job shadow them for a day?
    The local shop doesn't seem like they would have time for some dumb kid wanting to mess around and I know they are not hiring. I live in white county Indiana, but I travel for work so anything with in a few hours would be workable for me. Again I CANNOT do heights so take that into consideration.

Thanks for reading this rambling post

Re: 958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them?

you just answered your own question..your not physically fit...that alone knocks you out of any labor intensive job, you like to be indoors, you dont like heights( im with you on that one, me neither)..try McDonalds..but honestly you better get your a$$ in gear and get fit or you wont have to worry for long about a job being only 23..your health will bring you down soon enough...im not knocking you personally, but for your own satisfaction and for health reasons you need to get in shape , any employer is going to look at you and say " no way"..all he will do is sit on his a$$ all day..

Re: 958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them?

I’d say for those three reasons you listed, maybe welding is not the long term career for you.

From what I’ve been told you don’t get into indoor precision Tig work until you’ve got quite a bit of experience, and/or are lucky. So for most of the time you’ll be outdoors, and you’ll dislike it, you’re at increased risk of injury because you’re not fit, and being that you don’t like heights- you’ve cut out a large swath or potential employment in the structural segment.

Maybe welding should be your hobby, if I learned one thing from those around me;you’re career should be something you love doing. It doesn’t sound like you’ll love a lot of what being employed as a welder is.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    honestly you better get your a$$ in gear and get fit or you wont have to worry for long about a job being only 23..your health will bring you down soon enough...im not knocking you personally, but for your own satisfaction and for health reasons you need to get in shape
    I definitly agree with you on that. I'm 5'10" and 240 lbs. I worked at a lumber yard last summer and I got the job done but man it was not fun. Did help me loose weight though. Ive always been a larger stockier person but never physically active and my current job im constantly traveling so i eat fast food daily. Has not been helping at all.

Sounds like my backup plan for employment should be getting a cdl and less burgers. Favorite thing Ive been paid to do so far is drive.
    Last edited by Max Zubrenic; 05-15-2018 at 09:22 PM.

getting a job just tig welding is next to I'mpossible. Those that have them were just in the right place at the right time with the right experience. That said my first job ( for 15 years ) was 90% tig welding. I did not know that when I was hired though. It just worked out that way. I still needed to know how to do other types of welding , I just did not do it a lot. My first welding job was also the best job I ever had in my life and I am now 63 years old. I worked inside in an air conditioned shop doing mostly aluminum tig welding. I was in average physical condition and was skinny as a rail. 6'2" 142 lbs when I was hired right out of high school. Within the first year I filled out a lot and was 190lbs for the next 15 years. I just lucked into that job to some extent. My welding teacher in high school ( 2 years of vocational welding ) referred me for the job and I was hired 10 days after graduating high school. I also made good money for that time. $5 hr fresh out of high school. That was in 1973, thats like making $20 hr today.

I said that to say that miricals do happen, just not very often. It did not last for ever but it was a pretty good run. Since then tig welding has not been a prime skill but has helped from time to time. I will say I was never ever in the right place at the right time again for a repeat of that type of job. Back in the 70's there were not many tig welders around and I was able to take advantage of it . Today there are far more trained to do it and much better machines to do it on.

I will say this, if you do not like to get dirty, do not like to do thing other can't or won't do stay out of welding. Most of the work that has made me a living has not bean glamorous or impressive. A lot of it has been in places that most people would hate , dirty , stinky, hard to do even with the skill to do it. When I was young and would come home all dirty my wife would tell me " why can't you have a job wearing a suit and tie " She was ashamed of the type of work I did. What she did not realize was that most of those white collar jobs paid half of what I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Zubrenic View Post
    I definitly agree with you on that. I'm 5'10" and 240 lbs. I worked at a lumber yard last summer and I got the job done but man it was not fun. Did help me loose weight though. Ive always been a larger stockier person but never physically active and my current job im constantly traveling so i eat fast food daily. Has not been helping at all.

Sounds like my backup plan for employment should be getting a cdl and less burgers. Favorite thing Ive been paid to do so far is drive.
    get a stationary bike and when you watch tv in the eve pedal away for a few hours each nite, you dont have to kill yourself and in a few weeks you will start to notice the difference and your body will crave the exercise..

First, you didn't indicate where you're located.

Second, you stated you've taken some courses and " I am fairly good at 7018 and 7014. Not great at 6010 though. I can run a mig gun well enough to lay beads but dont have the experience setting up and troubleshooting."

Fact is, YOU AIN'T GONNA CUT IT!

You have been victimized by a bunch of bandits claiming to be a welding school, and as long as you're willing to shovel money or pile up debt, they'll continue to screw you over. Eventually they'll give you a piece of paper with the word CERTIFIED on it and send you forth into the world of work to become disappointed and bitter.

Depending on your State of residence with a year of past employment you may qualify for free College Training. In NY you can get a College Degree in Tow Truck driving after 6 months of playing at Alfred.

[QUOTE=thegary

I will say this, if you do not like to get dirty, do not like to do thing other can't or won't do stay out of welding. Most of the work that has made me a living has not bean glamorous or impressive. A lot of it has been in places that most people would hate , dirty , stinky, hard to do even with the skill to do it. When I was young and would come home all dirty my wife would tell me " why can't you have a job wearing a suit and tie " She was ashamed of the type of work I did. What she did not realize was that most of those white collar jobs paid half of what I made.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

Please don’t take my next few lines personally, it is not intended towards you at all, just your generation. Millennials.

“Your generation is nothing but a bunch of dumba$$’s. Y’all don’t know how to work, don’t know what work is, and don’t know what hard work is. In my line of work, I’ve seen in the past 3 years our quality of employees drop like a terd in an old folks home on frito pie day. All I hear from them is excuses and reasons why they turn out crappy work, and don’t know how to fix their crappy work ethic. Y’all want everything given to you instead of earning it. Makes me sick. Too many liberals believing everything they hear on CNN and pmsMSNBC.”

Become a man, drop a pair, and face the music. It sounds like you’re a typical millennial trying to find your calling in life. Doesn’t sound like this type of work is for you.

I’m not trying to be mean our disrespectful, just trying to be real with you. Nothing in life is given to you, you have to want and earn it.

Good luck

It was near the bottom, I live in white county Indiana. Near lafayette. I can get most of the community college covered by state grants.
    My mig experience was the week in intro to welding we spent on it and some flux core Ive played with at home.

Don't take this personally, but your generation is crap. Not trying to be mean or disrespectful though.

Thanks. Real useful.

Least my generation didnt make the guy who invented pet rocks a millionaire.....

Man, if you are planning on working in ANY of the industrial trades you have got to be fit, I didn't like heights either, but I dealt with it until I didn't have to deal with it any more, you may have to be a "hey boy" for a time. It sounds like your welding school may be screwing you, honestly, everything I know about welding I have learned on my own, from help from dad or coworkers or on here. Suck it up, get in shape and find a job as a helper or get an apprenticeship and learn it right, but first you need to make sure what you want to do for the rest of your life.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    and find a job as a helper or get an apprenticeship and learn it right, but first you need to make sure what you want to do for the rest of your life.
    Man if that hasnt been the biggest issue I've had in life so far....

Im at the point were I WANT to start on my career but what where do I start doing grunt work at?

You start wherever you have to, go to the union halls go to a metal yard, go to an independent shop, My father in law needed a job in his early days, he tried at a swimming pool company , they said they didn't need any help, he came back for several days, finally one day he just started helping with stuff, by the end of the day he had a job, that probably won't work today but the point is perseverance! I had my first job in a gas station at age 16, I made $3.75 an hour, good money in 71 for a 16 yr old, I work 8 hours a day AFTER SCHOOL, I closed the station at 11:00pm and was back to school at 8:00am and back to work at 3, 6 days a week. I had a good boss and I got this job because my reputation preceded me, I came highly recommended by the owner of our local auto parts store and was willing to learn. You gotta start somewhere, guess what, it will be the bottom of the totem pole. You may have to shovel sh!t, you may even have to eat some sh!t, you just gotta do what ya gotta do. I used to be scared to death of heights, I worked into it slowly, why, because I had to, I slowly got more confident and after a while the heights weren't a big problem. Nobdy here is giving you a hard time or bad advice, just do what ya gotta do and watch how you waste your money. I f you want to go to welding school , bite the bullet and look into TULSA WELDING SCHOOL, I hear they are about the best.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

You mentioned you like to drive and a CDL. Go for it.

Someone has to deliver stuff to these curmudgeons
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I said dumba$$’s. Does the truth hurt your feelings? I’m sorry, let me call the whhaaaam’bulance for ya.

This is exactly what I’m talking about with folk your age. Y’all get butt hurt about everything that doesn’t make you happy. That’s called LIFE! If you want to make a career in this field, prepare yourself for much more “constructive criticism “ that what you heard from me.

Pet rock= millionaire = capitalism = hard work= American way ( back in the day, prior to millennial work ethic)

Man who sold all those pet rocks did it without a computer or device using phones with wires attached to them, no Inturdnet, no google, and had to set every one of them on the Post Office counter after he filled out the address label by hand.

You've accomplished exactly what so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgediesel2 View Post
    I said dumba$$’s. Does the truth hurt your feelings? I’m sorry, let me call the whhaaaam’bulance for ya.

This is exactly what I’m talking about with folk your age. Y’all get butt hurt about everything that doesn’t make you happy. That’s called LIFE! If you want to make a career in this field, prepare yourself for much more “constructive criticism “ that what you heard from me.
    ****ting all over a generation because you feel superior to them is constructive criticism?
    There's a difference between getting "butt hurt" and calling out someone for a douche for no reason.
    Folks my age are always getting flak for literally everything. But who are the ones yelling at cashiers? Stiffing waitresses? Always criticizing everyone younger? With the exception of the extremely privileged, it's not millennial.

I have a job. I work long weeks away from home. I hate that job and want a real career. I come here looking for advice to see if my hobby could be a practical career before I sink time and money into it. Because I'm young you go on a rant about young people instead. But yea, we are the problem.

Mayby we do get overly upset about this, but if we do it's cuz we are sick of being **** on day in and day out.
    Last edited by Max Zubrenic; 05-16-2018 at 01:55 AM.

I spent 27 years at a career I did not always enjoy. I did enjoy the people I worked with most of the time. But the end goal was the pension and retirement. I would tell those that worked for me when they pitched a big bitch about how they were unhappy with the job "go buy a ticket to the circus if you want to be happy. You are being paid to do something that others will not or can not do". It wasn't a popular statement but it is about equal to "quit whining and get out of my office, if you don't want to work here resign". If you can find a career that makes you happy every day you are a lucky guy. If your overweight the truck driver job may just help you get bigger. The lumber yard job may have been the best thing for you. Good physical labor in the fresh air. I did that work for a few years and in retrospect it was a good time working with others. But the yards shut down. Good luck. Asking questions on a forums only gets you digital information. Walk the shops and ask for work. If you can handle the work and enjoy it stick with the craft. If it don't work out move on>

Reading through this thread I can only add, there is no perfect job.

Just do it, if you end up liking it, keep doing it.

I'm 48 and have changed careers many times. Even went to college in my 30's.

I may now be on my last career change (for a while anyway). I'm 10 years into a teaching career and now teach math, wood shop and welding.

Its working out ok so I'm planning to stay. But I'm always open to change if needed.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'm going to respond a little differently. I dont have a lot of welding experience I'm new to it myself but I do have life experience

You've said what you dont like, but not what you do like. Does your likes outlay your dislikes? Every job will have good and bad what you need to ask yourself is does the good outweigh the bad? If so then yes you should pursue it if no then keep it as a hobby and a useful skill for doing your own little projects and minor repairs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Words of encouragement coming... I'm 45 and on Feb 1 2017 I weighed 280.5 pounds. I stopped drinking alcohol and started eating keto and now my weight fluctuates between 178 and 182 pounds. I had lost 80 pounds in 7 months, a little over 100 pounds total now depending on the day. Someone mentioned to me the other day that they bet it feels good being 10 years younger. I said, nope, I feel 20 years younger. I can hop in and out of the back of trucks, get on my knees and weld upside down, etc. with no issues. I feel great and it's like I have a second wind at life.

In order to get where you need to be your mind has to be right. It sounds like it's almost there. You realize your weight is keeping you back from doing what you want to do. Don't make excuses for it, do something about it. Or you're not going to be around for long unfortunately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/commen...guide_to_keto/
    https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Words of encouragement coming... I'm 45 and on Feb 1 2017 I weighed 280.5 pounds. I stopped drinking alcohol and started eating keto and now my weight fluctuates between 178 and 182 pounds. I had lost 80 pounds in 7 months, a little over 100 pounds total now depending on the day. Someone mentioned to me the other day that they bet it feels good being 10 years younger. I said, nope, I feel 20 years younger. I can hop in and out of the back of trucks, get on my knees and weld upside down, etc. with no issues. I feel great and it's like I have a second wind at life.

In order to get where you need to be your mind has to be right. It sounds like it's almost there. You realize your weight is keeping you back from doing what you want to do. Don't make excuses for it, do something about it. Or you're not going to be around for long unfortunately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/commen...guide_to_keto/
    https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    It's funny you mention a low carb diet, I'm not what you would really consider overweight the max I've weighed is 220 at 6'2" that not too bad. Although I have not been over weight I am type 2 diabetic when diagnosed I was about 180 I gained some weight being on insulin. I quit drinking and eliminated almost all carbs from my diet. Lost the extra weight and came off the insulin.

Quote Originally Posted by formernuke View Post
    It's funny you mention a low carb diet, I'm not what you would really consider overweight the max I've weighed is 220 at 6'2" that not too bad. Although I have not been over weight I am type 2 diabetic when diagnosed I was about 180 I gained some weight being on insulin. I quit drinking and eliminated almost all carbs from my diet. Lost the extra weight and came off the insulin.

when ever i hear talk of low carb diet i think of 1.6 billion Chinese eating a lot of Rice and noodle laughing their butt off at somebody saying it will cause you to get fat
    i see somebody eating 2000 calories of peanuts for "protein" snack (like 90% fat calories)
    or eating hot dog for "protein" (again like 90% fat calories)
    eating 200 calories of bread with butter or olive oil or similar adding 1000 calories (basically eating fat)
    eating chips, cookies etc which many or most are 50% fat
    eating 100 calories of tuna fish "protein" with 1000 calories of mayonnaise on it
    bottom line 1 pound of fat has twice the calories of 1 pound of carbs. many havent a clue how much fat they eat cause its soaked up like a sponge with something else that maybe carbs but your still eating mostly fat. like eating a salad of 200 calories thats got 2000 calories of salad dressing on it. aint eating salad your eating fat. like somebody saying eating a salad makes you fat
    Last edited by WNY_TomB; 05-16-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Currently I'm trying to ween my self down to low sugar. I eat mostly carbs and protein. But I drink alot of soda and monster. I know I down have the willpower to go no sugar but I can try to lower it.

Apperntly I have an old saying wrong. "a 2 liter a day keeps the doctor away" I've been told is wrong.

Currently I'm trying to ween my self down to low sugar. I eat mostly carbs and protein. But I drink alot of soda and monster. I know I down have the willpower to go no sugar but I can try to lower it.

Apperntly I have an old saying wrong. "a 2 liter a day keeps the doctor away" I've been told is wrong.
    I almost think you've begun to see the light.
    To date, most of what you've been told was not only wrong, it was profitable for the person telling you.

Think on that for a bit and you'll realize you were classified early in life by the educational system as an easily led low potential seat filler.
    Your body has no need for minimally half of what you shovel into your mouth all day, so it has to do the additional work of storing that slop as fat.

You can continue in that category, or you can move yourself to a new classification, but only you can do that.
    Leave the salt shaker on the table, eat less, walk more, and make yourself worthy of hire.

Here's a hint for you, the fat 20 something kid applying for a job is least likely to be hired. The man hiring knows lardos are low performers.

Next question; Can you pass the pee in the cup test?