958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them?

No and no.

Re: 958th should I be a welder? thread Anybody willing to let me job shadow them?

I see that you have had a real look into what you like and don't like. Now get an understanding of what employers like and don't like. Try to balance the two and find a way to make it happen what ever career you fall into. Truckers can make damn good money. When I was hauling cars I made the best money I ever made in my life. I'm not saying it's a lot but there where drivers that worked at the company I worked at making 100+k per year and a few who leased on to the company made 200+k per year.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    when ever i hear talk of low carb diet i think of 1.6 billion Chinese eating a lot of Rice and noodle laughing their butt off at somebody saying it will cause you to get fat
    i see somebody eating 2000 calories of peanuts for "protein" snack (like 90% fat calories)
    or eating hot dog for "protein" (again like 90% fat calories)
    eating 200 calories of bread with butter or olive oil or similar adding 1000 calories (basically eating fat)
    eating chips, cookies etc which many or most are 50% fat
    eating 100 calories of tuna fish "protein" with 1000 calories of mayonnaise on it
    bottom line 1 pound of fat has twice the calories of 1 pound of carbs. many havent a clue how much fat they eat cause its soaked up like a sponge with something else that maybe carbs but your still eating mostly fat. like eating a salad of 200 calories thats got 2000 calories of salad dressing on it. aint eating salad your eating fat. like somebody saying eating a salad makes you fat
    Getting way off topic but it’s the sugars. Carbs turn to sugar. Sugar is addictive and is creating the health hazard like never before. That’s why America is so obese.

Brett

It sounds to me that you are not afraid of work but I am pretty sure as mentioned above you don't know how to work especially really work hard And quite sure nobody taught you how. When I was your age you were expected to work hard, it was shoved down your throat or kicked into your backside, Somehow as a nation we decided that your generation should just go to school and learn, instead of work, which for the most part has been a failure. The real problem is now you have to learn how to work, how to take criticism, how to not give up as soon as something gets uncomfortable.

As far as welding I say go for it around me in central Mi there are a lot of Trailer manufacturers and Pontoon boat manufacturers both in need of welders for Aluminum a lot of that is Tig welding the rest is squirt gun. If you got a little bit of training in Alum welding and practiced you could go to these type of places apply (as long as you can pass a piss test) take a weld test and get a job.

Your weight is a factor but at 20 lbs less you would be at the same weight as half of the workers in the construction industry including me (5' 11",215) And I guarantee I can carry my own quite well.

Don't give up think about what was said above, its true it's hard to find good workers in your generation, My old man told me the country was doomed with my generation as well, because we had longer hair and sometimes talked back to adults

Read the post "Certified welder can't find a job" study that thread there are some good lessons in there, stay positive Another old saying " Many great opportunity's are disguised by hard work"

As far as job Shadowing that is almost impossible today(bad thing)with all the security and safety on job sites nobody is allowed on property without 5 different safety cards, a background check, drug screen, site orientation and a note from there mother and Pastor It's almost impossible to get anything done

Sorry my rant
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Getting way off topic but it’s the sugars. Carbs turn to sugar. Sugar is addictive and is creating the health hazard like never before. That’s why America is so obese.

Brett
    Several years back after having been given a lengthy book report from a friend who'd read the Primal Blueprint I took around 90 to 95% of the grain based products out of my diet and started eating all the high fat animal products I wanted (plus fruits, veggies and tree nuts). For liquids I stuck with whole milk, water and fruit juices. In around 10 to 12 months I went from around 192 to 162 (plus my cholesterol levels went down).

I'm now pretty convinced that all that government sponsored nutritional advice I've heard and tried to follow (at least loosely) all my life (I'm 61) is for the most part shear nonsense.

Wow categorizing all young people into the so-called Millennial me category. And starting off your diatribe with I don't want to be disrespectful and don't take this personally. Grow a pair and suck it up buttercup are about as neanderthal as whacking your mate on the head and dragging him/her back to your cave. Then finish it off by wishing the person good luck. Just wow

wrong post
    Last edited by mike.b; 05-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.

At least you are trying to figure your **** out. Some of the guys on here don't offer very good advice and you can take that as a lesson as well. Not everyone one you meet in life will be cheering for you or willing to lend you a hand. You sound like you are on the verge of making a decision on your personal and career choice, take this a a turning point and move on. If you think you are good at welding and want to pursue a career at it, then make the necessary changes that you seem to know you need to make. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.b View Post
    Don't let the bastards grind you down.
    The funny thing is those same bastards start out as bullies in elementary school and just evolve into clever little pricks that take joy in others failures even more so if they had any thing to do with it.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I agree. I commend you for searching and asking questions and self evaluating. In my opinion, that puts you ahead of many of your contemporaries.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The funny thing is those same bastards start out as bullies in elementary school and just evolve into clever little pricks that take joy in others failures even more so if they had any thing to do with it.
    You know it. I come across them in almost every forum, group I belong to.

Personally I see the young fellow as someone with tremendous potential in the field of professional sports.
    Perhaps Baseball would be a good fit for him.

Can he carry a large box up and down stairs yelling Peanuts and make change?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Personally I see the young fellow as someone with tremendous potential in the field of professional sports.
    Perhaps Baseball would be a good fit for him.

Can he carry a large box up and down stairs yelling Peanuts and make change?
    People like you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac5 View Post
    People like you suck.
    x2

You said it way nicer than I Was going to

X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac5 View Post
    People like you suck.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Come on already with the people like you suck comments. I'm sure it was meant as a joke. Yet there is nothing wrong with selling peanuts or even doing Janitor work. If the pay is good don"t knock it. Although I don"t think either would be a good fit for the OP.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

3 for the snowflake list, anybody else?