Staying cool under the hood
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Staying cool under the hood

I came a little to close for comfort to a overheating condition today. I'm looking for ideas to help stay cool or cooler. I'm thinking maybe linen shirt under my jacket but looking for other ideas. I've heard of the miller cool belt but not sure if I can use it with a speedglas helmet.

Thanks in advance for ideas

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Re: Staying cool under the hood

If you're close to a clean air supply you can use one of these:

https://www.vortec.com/cooling-only-pac/overview

I made a hose assembly to connect to it that I put on like a harness under my shirt. Put some holes in it for the cool air to blow next to my torso, the thing is a lifesaver for an old fart like me in the Texas summer heat.

Look up cooling vests on ebay.
    They come in both air cooled and water cooled.
    You get lucky somebody is selling the government surplus vests from Operation Desert Storm.

Don't get one of those ice pack vests, they don't stay cold very long and the get real swampy.

Name:  62FC10AE-5D41-456B-BEF2-9CAACC217748.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  78.1 KB

Get a forced air hood...it will save your lungs too. I got headaches and sweaty...this fixed both problems.

That thing might work in Northern California, but it don't do squat in South Texas for heat. I know, I use one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    Name:  62FC10AE-5D41-456B-BEF2-9CAACC217748.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  78.1 KB

Get a forced air hood...it will save your lungs too. I got headaches and sweaty...this fixed both problems.
    What kind is that? Looks like it will fit on my speedglas

Back in the FL daze during Oven( July-Aug-Sept), I'd go in at 3-4 in the morning and strike an arc.I'd have all kinds of crap tacked up the afternoon before and up on saw horses. 3-4 hours of MIG on WFO is a lot of feet of weld. Then toss paint, fill columns with concrete and go back under the shed roof and play with the Scotchman and K-zoo and get a bunch of other crap tacked up and ready to go. The shop there was just like this one except 6 times larger and 8 feet taller.
    Here I wear a beanie thingie the guys from Blue Demon sell it has some kind of goop that reacts with water and chills it. Like Gadaffi meets Carharrt.
    Name:  91RszofPjIL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  70.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Here I wear a beanie thingie the guys from Blue Demon sell it has some kind of goop that reacts with water and chills it. Like Gadaffi meets Carharrt.
    Name:  91RszofPjIL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  70.2 KB
    So this thing-a-majig works good, is comfortable, and is pretty durable Mr.Bonzoo? Hot slag and berries won’t burn through and cause it’s innards to run down my face? If so I may consider getting one. Especially when Im Sitting down to some TIG in the garage and cant have any air movement at the welding table. The “oven” is set on pre-heat already!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    So this thing-a-majig works good, is comfortable, and is pretty durable Mr.Bonzoo? Hot slag and berries won’t burn through and cause it’s innards to run down my face? If so I may consider getting one. Especially when Im Sitting down to some TIG in the garage and cant have any air movement at the welding table. The “oven” is set on pre-heat already!
    I have Coconut Head for doing Over Head so I never showered it with sparks but it washes up( by hand) real well and is super comfortable under the band. Sitting at the table, it's killer.I may even wear it to church !

Quote Originally Posted by formernuke View Post
    What kind is that? Looks like it will fit on my speedglas

That thing just blows the outside air through a filter into your hood. It doesn't have any kind of cooling with it. If the air around you is hot, that's what you get. I've been using one for about 3 years, it's great for keeping smoke out of your lungs, but it doesn't cool you off when it's hot and humid.

Mate I have had enough days welding in the Australian summer heat to know exactly how you feel. I got a new Speedglas hood with Adflo at the end of last year, coming into the hot season... it seriously changed everything. 100% worth looking at and it also keeps the black crap out of the nose. This is the one I got https://www.awsi.com.au/welding-helm...9100xxi-507726