Snap On welder Modification Question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Snap On welder Modification Question

I have a question or two for the masses here on Welding Web.
    I currently have a Snap On Muscle Mig 350XL.....Yea Yea Yea I know... they are over priced etc etc etc.... I will not be complaining too much about it since it has pretty much been given to me. I am not an experienced enough welder to argue the pro's and Cons of its performance with the exception of the Voltage selector.
    My question is this: Could a better voltage selector be retrofitted so to speak? One that has infinite adjustment instead of the "clicker" style ? In my limited experience I have already noticed several times when i need a voltage setting in between the clicks...

Re: Snap On welder Modification Question

Personally if it works, don't mess with it. There are sooooo many ways of tweaking the settings that you should explore those to find your sweet spot IMO. Like a different blend of gas. Or a slight change in wire diameter. Or a change in wire alloy and brand.

Then using your voltage adjustment as your coarse adjustment, and your wire speed as your fine adjustment, change the angle, or direction, standoff, arc length, what have you. Seems to me circumstances tend to pull themselves together. For instance I recess my tip below the nozzle for a tad longer standoff and closer shielding. I pull on steel and push on alum. I run Lincoln steel wires whenever possible and C25 for standard gas and C10 for spray. For metal core wire I use Hobart brand whenever possible and same gases. I never use nozzle dip on metal core wire or alum, I use ceramic spray.

But then I learned on tapped voltage migs, so I don't get worked up about it.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

I agree leave as is. Maybe sell and replace it if funds permit.

Okay I will practice more with some different techniques and easier adjusted variables so to speak .
    For what I am doing with the machine is serves me pretty well. As I do more with it, I find more that needs to be done with it lol.
    I am using Lincoln .035 wire and 75/25 gas. Most of what i have learned has been self taught and a lot of the fundamentals were taught to me by a good friend and extremely talented fabricator and he has told me similar things as well. I just wanted to see what other opinions might be.
    Thanks for the input

Some machines perform better with .030 wire. That maybe worth a try.

I just ran out of the .030
    I kinda think that the .035 is better, but then again probably 80% of my mig welding has been with .035.
    The only reason that i had .030 was that is was available on a weekend. My biggest problem area lately has been vertical outside corner welding .