Trailblazer to Run House
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Trailblazer to Run House

Good evening,

I am kicking around .. ( for the last 6 months) on buying a Miller Trailblazer 325 Diesel. Before I cut loose with $10K... I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with using a transfer switch to power their home with 10500 Kw with machine like this? .. . I will use it for my welding business but would like to know if powering my modest home will be feasible ... any thoughts or input would be appreciated as $10K is a real chunk of change for me

Thank you for your time !!

Kell

Re: Trailblazer to Run House

That's plenty of asz for a "modest home". I had a 15 that ran an unmodest home( 2 ac units, zillion ceiling fans, three 5 hp water pumps, well pump, electronics of the day etc etc.) It cut in when the hurricanes cut me out and ran(auto) for 30 minutes once a month. What you'll quickly find is that 2-3 plus gallons per hour gets spendy real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by kjemison1966 View Post
    Good evening,

I am kicking around .. ( for the last 6 months) on buying a Miller Trailblazer 325 Diesel. Before I cut loose with $10K... I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with using a transfer switch to power their home with 10500 Kw with machine like this? .. . I will use it for my welding business but would like to know if powering my modest home will be feasible ... any thoughts or input would be appreciated as $10K is a real chunk of change for me

Kell
    I can run my house off of my Miller Bobcat 225G through a transfer switch. It's an 8KW unit, and will power everything except the outside A/C compressor. If it had 10.5 KW output, it would probably handle that, too.

I have my Lincoln Ranger 9 (9kw) run my place during outages. Two fridges, deep freezer, TVs, lights (almost all house lights are LEDs), well pump, electric water heater and furnace igniter and blower. Haven't tried it with the AC yet, usually most outages we've had lately have been in the winter.

We don't have outages that often, nor do they last long enough (we're off a main hwy, so they get our area fixed pretty fast) to warrant a dedicated backup generator. But having the Ranger already for other reasons, its nice to have the ability.

My 302 Trailblazer kept me warm a few times in winter. I backfeed into my panel per code and use 6 gauge cord. I identified what I want to power and leave those breakers on. Runs 220 well, 120 furnace, house lights, refrigerator, freezers., and power to barn for lights and heat lamps. No issues ever.
    As a reminder my gasoline Trailblazer probably burns a gallon a hour fully loaded .
    If you have frequent power outages a natural gas dedicated whole house generator and auto transfer switch would be my choice . I'm glad I have mine for sure.

My house has propane water heater, stove, and furnace.

My Trailblazer PRo 350D (12KW generator) will power everything, including the well, dryer and the 3 ton HVAC system.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

For the little time you may actually use this unit for powering your home, what do you need the diesel for? A gas machine would save you purchase money. It may burn a little more fuel but for the little time you will actually use it as a home generator, the cost of purchase savings and the weight savings for mobility consideration, it's something to think about.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

If say a generator is not run for a while. Wouldn’t diesel be better suited as it does not break down and cause problems as fast as gasoline ?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Trailblazer 325 gas standard model runs around $5500
    Trailblazer 325 gas with Efi runs $6000
    Trailblazer 325 Efi and excel power runs $6500
    Trailblazer 325 diesel with Excel power runs $10 000 range.

How much welding are you going to be doing with the unit? The bobcat series machines have the same generator output as the trailblazer machines. A bobcat series machine would cost less.
    If your not welding with the unit at all, a stand alone generator would be a better investment.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

A sweet machine for the purpose. If I could see your service from here, I'd tell you whether transfer switch, or breaker panel interlock is best. I use a 2006 Bobcat 250, it works fine. I would prefer the Trailblazer. A Generac fully automatic standby unit would cost a bit over half installed, but you can't weld with it.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by kjemison1966 View Post
    Good evening,

Kell

Diesel jobs are always more $$
    the only way I see that a diesel would have the advantage would be if you heat your house with home heating oil..... so if the power goes out for a week , you can Tap your home heating oil tank. heating oil/diesel /same thing...

If you are looking into a machine strictly for welding/business.... then generator power when necessary, I'd look into a gasoline job.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

The local phone company used to have diesel generators in each of their central offices. They stockpiled large tanks of fuel prepping for disaster. They found that diesel lasts longer than gasoline, but not forever. They have converted to propane in many buildings.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    They found that diesel lasts longer than gasoline, but not forever.
    Diesel algae or bacteria from moisture in storage tanks is a definite concern and can render a unit dead in the water.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    If say a generator is not run for a while. Wouldn’t diesel be better suited as it does not break down and cause problems as fast as gasoline ?
    Old diesel can be worse than old gasoline, you can actually get algae that grows in diesel fuel. Plus, it does break down in a similar fashion to gasoline. Although, proper research and treatment of the fuel, just like gasoline, it can be stored for some time.

BP - Long term storage of Diesel Fuel
    Last edited by Autarkis; 05-21-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added Link

diesel fuel storage life -

thats why using the house oil tank would be perfect.... constantly using and refilling the tank.

I looked at diesel standby generators and they are almost 3x the price as gas gens.
    crazy..
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I looked at diesel standby generators and they are almost 3x the price as gas gens.
    crazy..
    Yes it is a little crazy and other than typically longer engine life and better fuel economy they suffer the same ills. I've worked on a number of Kubota Lowboy II GL-7000 units and 2 of them have had stator failures. One of them was still under warranty and the other ran over $1600 just for the replacement stator. A rewind from Eurton would have been less but the construction company owner needed the unit back in service ASAP and a new stator was only a day away. Kubota just as with Onan and Kohler are very proud of their products and replacement parts are big $$$.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!