Greetings
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Greetings

Greetings

I'm not really blind, but my wife and kids say I am. I have holes in my macula which make it hard to focus on certain small things in the center of view. I also have calcium deposits on the optic nerve which mess with my peripheral vision. I can still pass the driving vision test so if you are worried, stay off the roads.

My welding experience is limited, probably close to zero. I used to own a 200A stick welder and I welded a few things with it but I didn't use it much and eventually I traded it to someone for a lathe and a bandsaw.
    Recently I've started a few projects where it would be nice if I could weld so I've resolved to finally get up to speed. I have used the welders at my local makerspace but I would rather do my dirty work at home, so I bought a Harbor Freight 170 with some issues off their reject pile for $90. Now I have time to resolve those issues and get to melting metal. I've been lurking on your site for a while and am happy you let me join. https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/blob_fire.gif

Re: Greetings

Welcome sir! I feel for you on the eye problems, my dad had cataracts at a very young age and had to wear the coke bottle glasses, he had no peripheral vision at all. His vision was distorted and when he would weld he always ended up laying his bead about 1/16 to 1/8 inch beside his joint or crack, he got to the point where he compensated that distortion pretty well. He was legally blind without his glasses.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Man, I feel for your dad! My vision is still ok. It's my kids who think I'm decrepit.

LOL, my dad learned to deal with his vision problems, He operated an electric shovel in the copper mine where he worked, I lost him in 2000. He was an amazing man, always building and designing stuff, two things you could count on, 1 it would work and 2 it would look like hell!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Can you get corrective surgery? My grandma had cataracts in both eyes removed. It was no big deal. She could see again!
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com